Any point in staying at the All Star Sports Resort?

tazmad

Original Poster
Should I even consider the All Star Sports Resort or is it really an awful place to stay? The Value resorts get a bad rap here, so I've not considered them but now I am, kinda sorta. here's why:

My family and I will be in Orlando for an oddly split vacation because the trip originally started out as a business conference for me, and I tacked on extra time so that I could bring my family and allow them to experience Disney and Universal, even on the days I'm working.

I booked the Wilderness Lodge for the first two nights, because I'm paying for it and I like nice hotels.

I have a Hyatt Regency next to the convention center booked for the next four nights, because my company is paying and this is a preferred hotel for them. But I COULD switch to another hotel for those four nights as long as its available through our corporate travel agency. The only Disney hotel available, within my per diem, is the All Star Sports Resort. My husband will be taking our kids to Universal for most of the time we stay at this hotel, tho. I'd love to opt for a Universal hotel, but they're not showing up as available through my corporate travel agency. Another option that IS available is a brand new Residence Inn across the street from Universal's entrance.

The next three nights, which I'm paying for, will be at the Beach Hotel. Because, again, I like nice hotels.

I guess my real question is, does it make any sense to stay at the All Star Sports hotel for those four nights mid-trip when I'll be working at my conference and my husband and kids will be at Universal? Or should I stick with the Hyatt (it's a really nice one), or opt for the Residence Inn which is not as nice as the Hyatt but still quite comfortable, esp for a family.

BoarderPhreak

I'm not into the Value resorts (way too garish for me) but don't let that stop anyone. You can't beat the price, and the fact it's a bonafide Disney resort on-property. đź‘Ť

In your case, it's a tough sell to stay on-property when you're hitting Uni at the other end of the strip...

CaptainAmerica

Based on your situation, no.

I have no problem with any of the value resorts if that's your budget and you're doing a normal / traditional Disney vacation. With everything you're describing (multiple different hotels, corporate booking, conferences, visiting Universal) there's really no point. The purpose of the value resorts is to provide an affordable option to people who want to stay on property. You have no reason to be on property those days and it doesn't sound like you're especially price-sensitive either.

tazmad

Original Poster
Okay, thanks. I guess I was just thinking about the Disney experience vs. a bland Hyatt Regency hotel experience and how my kids would probably prefer the Disney themed stuff. I would stay at a Universal hotel but they're out of my company's per diem price range of $200 or less. I'm able to do the $269 a night Hyatt because it's the conference hotel, which means that per diems aren't an issue. Sigh. Corporate america makes things complicated.

MomofPrincessGrace

If I were you, I would opt for the Residence Inn across from Universal. It could be a 20-30 minute trip, minimum, from All-Star to Universal. Plus if its right across the street transport from the hotel to Universal could be really easy.

GVentola

If you do book the Residence Inn across from Universal, do NOT try to walk to Universal from there. It's a heck of a walk, a lot longer than you would think it would be.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
is it really an awful place to stay?
No they're not. I've stayed there multiple times over the years. They represent a great way to be on property and yet save a LOT of money.

The Value resorts get a bad rap here,
Why do you say that? I've really not seen too many complaints about the All Stars. I think the buses are probably the biggest point of contention, since all three resorts can share the buses, but that's only non-peak times. Peak times each resort has its own buses.

The one thing that you need to consider the value resorts vs. moderate and deluxes is that you get more services and features at the moderates and up. For instance the pools at the all stars do not have water slides. Moderates have more options for dining, and may offer resort services like bikes and what not.

Yet when you come down to it, the All Stars are a fantastic resort that allows you to enjoy your disney vacation for a lot less then staying at the Poly ;)

Mickey5150

I choose to stay at All-Star Sports every year and love it. Having stayed at many different WDW hotels it's the only one I don't feel I'm getting ripped off. That being said, in your case I'd stay at the Hyatt. If you have to work in the middle of a vacation make it as easy as possible for yourself.

zbsigpi

I would suggest staying at the Hyatt, due to its proximity to Universal. Tell you husband to stay away from driving International Drive but use Universal Blvd instead. Very little traffic and takes you directly onto Universal property, compared to the craziness of I-drive.

slappy magoo

Probably a dumb question but since you wrote this:
The only Disney hotel available, within my per diem, is the All Star Sports Resort.

Are you allowed to go over your per diem if you pay the balance? And would you be willing to pay the balance if it meant staying at, say, the Coronado, which has plenty of things for kids/families to do but still caters more to convention-goers than other WDW resorts in the Value or Mod category?

It might however be a moot point, if you think your family will spend more time at Universal, it would probably make sense to stay as close as possible to Universal. And for your own well being I'd think a "regular" hotel closer to Universal, if not the Regency where you're already booked, would be better. I won't dump too much on ASSports, but the property is pretty big, there's no onsite restaurant beyond a food court and some pool bar offerings, it can be noisy (especially if big groups are booked at the same time)...I just can't imagine it being particularly relaxing for you, a grownup who has spent the day doing grownup things, to then share a room that's very tiny, without even queen sized beds, no place to just relax, especially if you're not taking advantage of the proximity of WDW by hitting those parks on those days.

tazmad

Original Poster
Probably a dumb question but since you wrote this:

Are you allowed to go over your per diem if you pay the balance? And would you be willing to pay the balance if it meant staying at, say, the Coronado, which has plenty of things for kids/families to do but still caters more to convention-goers than other WDW resorts in the Value or Mod category?

It might however be a moot point, if you think your family will spend more time at Universal, it would probably make sense to stay as close as possible to Universal. And for your own well being I'd think a "regular" hotel closer to Universal, if not the Regency where you're already booked, would be better. I won't dump too much on ASSports, but the property is pretty big, there's no onsite restaurant beyond a food court and some pool bar offerings, it can be noisy (especially if big groups are booked at the same time)...I just can't imagine it being particularly relaxing for you, a grownup who has spent the day doing grownup things, to then share a room that's very tiny, without even queen sized beds, no place to just relax, especially if you're not taking advantage of the proximity of WDW by hitting those parks on those days.

Technically I can go over my per diem, but realistically it's a PITA to deal with because of how my company makes you report it and pay separately, etc.

Good points that everyone makes about making my work portion of the trip as easy as possible. One of the reasons the Renaissance Inn up by Universal appeals. It's roomier than the room at the Hyatt and that gives me more space to work.

slappy magoo

If you are going to stay at Universal (expensive hotel) then you should just stay at the Universal resorts because you get free express pass.
I think the OP wrote earlier that the actual Universal hotels were not on the list of hotels to choose from, but various hotels close to Universal were

slappy magoo

Good points that everyone makes about making my work portion of the trip as easy as possible. One of the reasons the Renaissance Inn up by Universal appeals. It's roomier than the room at the Hyatt and that gives me more space to work.

Yeah, it's great that your family can stay with you, and it's great you're trying to accommodate them, but ultimately you're there to work, so do what works best for you and for everyone else, it beats not having a vacation at all, you know?

Fable McCloud

I've been to Disney 4 times, and we've stayed at All Star Movies every time. This is in part because we really couldn't afford more, but also because we are really only in our hotel to sleep and shower and I don't feel like I'd want to spend more on a room I'm barely in. I really like the fun aesthetic of the All Star Resorts, and it's a unique place on property.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
we are really only in our hotel to sleep and shower and I don't feel like I'd want to spend more on a room I'm barely in
That's very logical, and I've used that mindset myself. For us, we are now finding ourselves spending a bit more time at the resort to relax and let the kids enjoy the amenities, so this is where moderates may make sense. Still the All Stars are a great option and one we may use for our next trip

tazmad

Original Poster
What I decided to do was follow the advice of the wise individuals that suggested I keep the work portion of my trip as easy for me, since I'm working, as possible. We'll stick to the Hyatt Regency hotel I have booked for work, since it's a five-minute walk to the convention center, but I cut one night of the business hotel off, and booked an extra night at the front end of our stay at the Beach Club. That way we get to immerse ourselves in Disney ASAP after I'm done with my work conference. I'll be done working by 4 pm that day, so my husband will have already checked the kids and himself into the Beach Club and we'll be set.

I understand the mindset about a hotel just being for sleep and showering. I used to stick to lower-priced hotels for that reason, but I've found I enjoy the trip so much more when I am surrounded by luxury at my hotel and in my room. I think it's a getting older kinda thing. I'm old now. I'm 50. :) I don't mean to sound snobby, it's not that at all. It's just balancing cost with the value to myself personally. When I walk into a lovely hotel lobby, I feel myself instantly relaxing. All of the troubles of the week just kind of whoosh away, and I feel ready to be pampered. We recently had to stay at a Hampton Inn because it was literally the best hotel in a 20-mile radius, and it was stressful. We were already stressed because we were in town for a funeral, but then the tiny room where we kept bumping into each other, and lack of service made it worse. I would have loved to have had a beautiful hotel as an oasis on that trip.

Last edited:

slappy magoo

I understand the mindset about a hotel just being for sleep and showering. I used to stick to lower-priced hotels for that reason, but I've found I enjoy the trip so much more when I am surrounded by luxury at my hotel and in my room.

Maybe it's time to consider DVC, at least a resale?

Sonconato

Should I even consider the All Star Sports Resort or is it really an awful place to stay? The Value resorts get a bad rap here, so I've not considered them but now I am, kinda sorta. here's why:

My family and I will be in Orlando for an oddly split vacation because the trip originally started out as a business conference for me, and I tacked on extra time so that I could bring my family and allow them to experience Disney and Universal, even on the days I'm working.

I booked the Wilderness Lodge for the first two nights, because I'm paying for it and I like nice hotels.

I have a Hyatt Regency next to the convention center booked for the next four nights, because my company is paying and this is a preferred hotel for them. But I COULD switch to another hotel for those four nights as long as its available through our corporate travel agency. The only Disney hotel available, within my per diem, is the All Star Sports Resort. My husband will be taking our kids to Universal for most of the time we stay at this hotel, tho. I'd love to opt for a Universal hotel, but they're not showing up as available through my corporate travel agency. Another option that IS available is a brand new Residence Inn across the street from Universal's entrance.

The next three nights, which I'm paying for, will be at the Beach Hotel. Because, again, I like nice hotels.

I guess my real question is, does it make any sense to stay at the All Star Sports hotel for those four nights mid-trip when I'll be working at my conference and my husband and kids will be at Universal? Or should I stick with the Hyatt (it's a really nice one), or opt for the Residence Inn which is not as nice as the Hyatt but still quite comfortable, esp for a family.
My family and I go to WDW every week and we like to eat at the hotels, one of them being the All Star Sports. It is an okay place, but watch out for groups. Just recently Disney hosted the World Cheerleading and Dance competition and it was a madhouse. If there are any groups like that, All Star Sports is where they go. With that being said, I would check the ESPN schedule to see if there are any competitions going on before going there. Even when there are no competitions, there are still plenty of teenagers.

freediverdude

My concern about the Hyatt is that particular one is a very convention/business feeling hotel, the family won't really feel like on vacation there. If you have to have a larger room yes the Residence Inn would be ok, although if you went with the All-Star Sports you would be on Disney property the whole time, and Disney's luggage services could transport everything for you between each hotel without having to pack up a rental car and whatnot. It would make it much easier with each hotel switch.

wombat

It really depends on how much time you want to spend at the resort. If you only want to sleep and shower there, then there is not much point in spending a lot of money on a nicer (more expensive) hotel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom