Any one ever done the Petty driving experience?

I was thinking of surprising my husband with an early Christmas present when we go to Disney this year and sign him up for the Richard Petty Driving experience. He is a huge NASCAR fan and his number 1 hobby is fixing and re-building cars, so I know he would LOVE it. Has anyone ever done this and do you know approximatly how long it lasts? ( I would do either the 8 or 18 lap session)

SweetPea

I gave my DH the driving experience for his birthday last year. Although we did not do it at Disney (we went to Charlotte) I can tell you that it lasts for several hours depending on how many there are in the "class". He also did the 8 lap session during the morning time. I think we had to be at the track at around 7:30 a.m. Everyone got fitted for their fire suit and then went to the auditorium for a brief video. My DD got to go along with him and watch from pit road. After the video, they were taken to their training. They were first driven around the track a few laps in a van to get the feel of the shape of the track. Then they went through more training with the instructors. I believe it was that they only let two drivers on the track at a time, each with their own pace car. And then you just sit and wait. I think we were there a good three to four hours, maybe a little more.

This is probably more info than you were looking for, but just thought I'd share.:wave:

Upvote 0

TinkerCarol

My DH & DSIL both did the drive along. My husband ,too, is a huge Nascar fan. Best part of the trip for both. And that was just the drive along. My husband still talks about it a year after. I never saw such a huge smile on both theit faces. Then they had to shake hands after both were done and act real MANLY AND COOL! tOOK MOVIES AND MANY PICS. Have a pic of my husbands doing "thumbs up" out the window going around one of the laps. Very worth every cent.

Upvote 0

Minnesota

DH and my dad have done it twice . The last time in December 2007 and love it. They do the 8 lap or something like that. My son got to ride in the lead van and video tape it. They LOVED it. They are planning to do the one at daytona September 2009. It does take a good 4-5 hours. I took DD to magic Kingdom that am she would have been bored that long and with the class they take. To be truthful it would have killed me to miss those hours at the park also. But the boys had a blast.

Upvote 0

imamouse

If there is a NASCAR track near your home, I suggest you go there for the RPDE. There are several levels of experiences which may be viewed here. I bought my husband the Kings experience for his birthday one year and it was well worth the price. He had a fantastic time and could not stop grinning for the rest of the day.

The track is at WDW is just so-so compared to other locations such as Charlotte or Daytona. Las Vegas is also a popular track for RPDE.

Upvote 0

koppite_rob

My wife bought me the standard experience for my 30th in 2004 & it was worth every penny.
Being a Brit I wasn't up on NASCAR,but I am a total petrol head,and having driven one I am now a fan of NASCAR.
The Disney circuit is great,hasn't got the WOW factor of Daytona,but still challenging and if you've never driven a NASCAR before (who has!) the power transfer & noise will put the hairs up on the back of your neck.
I loved it especially the front straight,being that close to the wall at speed is amazing.
The day started with a video & safety brief,before getting kitted up & then taken round the circuit in a minibus on the driving line.
Then it was into the car,shown how to start it and off you go.Just you & the engine and the pedal to make it go.
Just remember to keep up with your instructor.

For my 40th I've been promised the Kings Experience.
I think the correct phrase to use here is boogity boogity boogity.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom