Any Monorail News?

artbell2

Original Poster
I am kinda curious nothing has been mentioned in a long while on wdwmagic or anywhere else for that matter about any kind of monorail news? I guess WDW plans on using buses until we reach the next century. I want to see a monorail project start up. I guess not in my lifetime. By the way, if anyone out there has a 2007 monorail spiel mp3 or wav file I would be interested in hearing it.

Thanks,
Mike

SGT623

Only monorail news I know of is the new Monsters Inc attraction is now mentioned after exiting the Contemporary on the way to the Magic Kingdom

mousermerf

Account Suspended
We'd never get that style though.. Totally different look then was ever intended for WDW. Theirs really is just a cute "ride" rather then a real form of transportation.

Champion

They will not be expanding the monorail. Probably ... ever. Only possibilities for this ever happening are new hotels built directly onto the existing lines.

However, that doesn't mean we will always be using busses. There are other mass transit options that are cheaper than the monorail.

We will probably get new trains before too long, that eliminate the center divider between the two sections on a car, to fit a lot more people.

DisneyMusician2

An expansion of the line would probably do a lot to ease some of the congestion on the bus system. But being as upgrades and new fleets are being purchased, I'd say Disney is firmly comitted to the bus system ,and we shouldn't be expecting something else anytime soon.

bgraham34

I am surprised that it is cheaper to run buses around vs the monorail but just to run the columns for the monorail supports would be very expensive.

Buried20KLeague

Does anyone know what the probable lifespan of the columns and track are? I'd assume we'll reach a point in time where it costs more in maintenance (and down time) to keep them up and running than the bean counters will allow... I'm sure it's WAYYYYY down the road, but the fact is they're concrete... I've got to imagine they've got an "end of useful life". :shrug:

Anyone know?

ToTBellHop

I am surprised that it is cheaper to run buses around vs the monorail but just to run the columns for the monorail supports would be very expensive.
it's infrastructure that is the problem--running the monorails every day is expensive, but not prohibitively so. However, in order to add a resort to the bus system, all they have to do is build a nice long driveway with a little theming, and they are ready to go. Much cheaper...and quicker. If a monorail breaks down (as would be more the case if it were the monorail's job to transport everyone on property, everywhere), you can't get anywhere. If a bus breaks down, you drive around it.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
They are going to add a second rail to stop the wobbling on the higher sections. Once This is done a new train in metallic black will operate a high speed link from the TTE directly to the MK. It has yet to be confirmed but it is expected that the train is going to feature flat screen technology in the cars featuring adverts on the parks, highlighting the aesthetic beauty of the wand, the value of resort mugs for repeat visitors and the joys of pool hopping (DVC members only).

This high speed link will be open only to resort guests and a pass beam will be added to hold the existing trains in waiting to allow faster access for those staying on property.

This service will be extended to Epcot late 2008.

A new docking area and elevated platform is also to be constructed at the entrance of the Magic Kingdom. This is to service the new hovercraft that will replace the current boats. The elevated platform will allow the hovercraft to pass over existing pathways and deliver MK area resort guests right at new fast access turnstiles being erected to the right on the main entrance.

Pooh88

An expansion of the line would probably do a lot to ease some of the congestion on the bus system. But being as upgrades and new fleets are being purchased, I'd say Disney is firmly comitted to the bus system ,and we shouldn't be expecting something else anytime soon.

"Oh Bother":(

benji

I wish Disney will link all four of the parks together with the monorail. I hate whating for the buses it takes so long for the next bus to come around. The monorails are much faster. It will be much better for park hopping. It will also be great for the earth. The monorail doesn't use up all the gas that the buses do.

Champion

I wish Disney will link all four of the parks together with the monorail. I hate whating for the buses it takes so long for the next bus to come around. The monorails are much faster. It will be much better for park hopping. It will also be great for the earth. The monorail doesn't use up all the gas that the buses do.

The monorail wouldn't be faster if it ran to every park and resort, big guy. It would actually be a lot slower, with those tons and tons of stops on the way. And they'd have to run one or two total lines, because otherwise you'd have too many transfers, and the more lines you have to run, the higher the cost goes.

And that doesn't take into account the multi-billion dollar investment that creating a complete property monorail system would cost.

Really, what do you think is a better idea. Spending $2b+ on a non-efficient way to get people to the four parks, or spending that money either on a new park or upgrades to the existing ones? And don't forget, you also need the monorail to go to everything else. DTD, TL, BB, WBP, etc etc.

Note that I'm saying non-efficient because of the way it works, not because the monorail itself isn't efficient. The biggest inherent problem with the monorail is this: You cannot quickly and easily add a train. And the guest flow for the property doesn't work well with anything that is on a set track. You have big crowds at certain times, and no crowds at other times. Can you imagine the MASSIVE line that would exist to get on the monorail after closing at MK, if all resorts needed it? It would be insane.

And I'm just touching the surface of the problems with this post.

Monorail expansion is such a terrible idea, it really isn't even funny.

benji

The monorail wouldn't be faster if it ran to every park and resort, big guy. It would actually be a lot slower, with those tons and tons of stops on the way. And they'd have to run one or two total lines, because otherwise you'd have too many transfers, and the more lines you have to run, the higher the cost goes.

And that doesn't take into account the multi-billion dollar investment that creating a complete property monorail system would cost.

Really, what do you think is a better idea. Spending $2b+ on a non-efficient way to get people to the four parks, or spending that money either on a new park or upgrades to the existing ones? And don't forget, you also need the monorail to go to everything else. DTD, TL, BB, WBP, etc etc.

Note that I'm saying non-efficient because of the way it works, not because the monorail itself isn't efficient. The biggest inherent problem with the monorail is this: You cannot quickly and easily add a train. And the guest flow for the property doesn't work well with anything that is on a set track. You have big crowds at certain times, and no crowds at other times. Can you imagine the MASSIVE line that would exist to get on the monorail after closing at MK, if all resorts needed it? It would be insane.

And I'm just touching the surface of the problems with this post.

Monorail expansion is such a terrible idea, it really isn't even funny.

I didn't say to do away with the buses to the resorts. I said just to link the four parks together for park hoppers. It works very well linking Epcot to the Magic Kingdom. I think that will be very affective. Of couse you can not do away with the buses to the resorts any idiot will know that. Monorail expansion is a very good idea!

Champion

I didn't say to do away with the buses to the resorts. I said just to link the four parks together for park hoppers. It works very well linking Epcot to the Magic Kingdom. I think that will be very affective. Of couse you can not do away with the buses to the resorts any idiot will know that. Monorail expansion is a very good idea!

So you want to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to build a loop that would offer $0 FOREVER in income? Great plan.

Park hoppers have paid to get in already, and if they want to hop, there are busses from one park to another. I think you'd be surprised at how few people actually park hop directly between two resorts at the non-busy times of the day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom