Any love for Epcot?

gonnichi

Original Poster
It seems that there are rumors about MK, DHS ,and AK and what new attractions may be built in each park. I was just wondering if anyone has heard any rumors about what might be coming to Epcot. Brazil was talked about as being the next Pavilion. Has this fallen out of favor? We have also heard that the Imagination Pavillion is not working anymore in its current form. I had also heard that Illuminations may get redone with World of Color technology? Does anyone have any current info on what might be next for Epcot?

afar28

It does not seem like anything is on the horizon. The Test Track refurb was great, but nothing else is on the horizon. The last attraction built was Soarin in 2005, and it looks like the trend of stagnation will sadly continue

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Future World or World Showcase?
Both. Japan nearly got a dark ride before the economy collapsed. Imagination is just waiting for another sponsor to agree with the proposals. SSE.... well... It's a painful topic depending who you talk to. Energy still eats guests for breakfast (and will do with the $80 million events tent shuttered next door).
The park needs heavy investment before it gets stuck with a few good attractions and the annual binge fest and nothing else. Even parts of ROE are crying out for money and they can't get funding.

djlaosc

Both. Japan nearly got a dark ride before the economy collapsed. Imagination is just waiting for another sponsor to agree with the proposals. SSE.... well... It's a painful topic depending who you talk to. Energy still eats guests for breakfast (and will do with the $80 million events tent shuttered next door).
The park needs heavy investment before it gets stuck with a few good attractions and the annual binge fest and nothing else. Even parts of ROE are crying out for money and they can't get funding.

It just seems like a really sad situation - lots of plans ready to go - but Disney are just not willing to fund them themselves.

Japan Dark Ride? I can't remember if I had read about that - I had read about Mt. Fuji and the Bullet Train attraction where it looked like you were travelling with scenery going past the windows.

Hopefully Imagination will get a sponsor soon - last holiday was the first time we went into the Pavilion - it was all right, but I much prefer your video of the original to what is there now. ;)

SSE - I preferred the pre-2007 version, and the descent is terrible!

Energy - last holiday was the first time we went into that Pavilion as well - it was all right (once per trip), but it could do with some updating.

As someone said above, we are currently at 7.5 years without a major addition - something needs to be done!

djlaosc

You wouldn't have read about Japan ;)

I didn't think I had!

It would be nice for World Showcase to get some more attractions (not necessarily major - but if World Showcase got 9 more attractions on the scale of Maelstrom/Gran Fiesta Tour, then that would be great!)

For me, the ultimate World Showcase Pavilion would have...
  • Ride/Attraction
  • Real Life Video Attraction (Circlevision/Japan Bullet Train)
  • Museum (Japan Toys/China Tomb Warriors/AA National Heritage Gallery)
  • Table Service Dining
  • Quick Service Dining
  • Snack Counter
  • Shop
  • Kidcot
  • Something minor, but Disney (eg./ hidden away meet n greets, classic posters of the films that are set in the country in the Kidcot area - eg./ UK = 101 Dalmations, Mary Poppins, etc.)
...there's probably other things that I've thought in the past, but can't remember at the moment.

All of the current pavilions have some of the above list, but none of them have them all.

RandySavage

Martin, interesting to hear about some of the possibilities. I came across your Coliseum-in-Italy photoshop online and incorporated something akin to it into this for-fun conceptual plan:
Blog+-+EPCOT+2025.PNG

Patricia Melton

I can't tell from the maps, but how many country pavilions could be added to Epcot?

For my family, Epcot is really about seeing all the countries. That's primarily what we go to Epcot for. I think Brazil should be added just because there are so many Brazilian tour groups that come to WDW...they would love to gravitate to the Brazil pavilion. Maybe they would spend all day there and it would alleviate some of the problems with the tour groups if they had a lot of activities there for them to enjoy.

I wish Australia had a pavilion...lot of great potential for a ride with that, either with an outback train or a Great Barrier Reef ride of some kind. Could even repurpose Nemo for that.

I wish there was an Egypt pavilion. I have always wanted a time-travel ride back to ancient Egypt to see everything the way it was before it was ruins. That would be so epic.

I also wish the was a Greek pavilion where there could be a ride based on Hercules and highlight all the gods and monsters of myth.

And the Russia pavilion...that could be glorious.

But realistically we know a pavilion will only be built if a country is willing to fund it...and that's just not going to happen. No country is going to fund these pavilions going forward.

Maybe Disney can find very wealthy private citizens to sponsor pavilions based on their home countries as a source of pride?

TDO won't build any of this on their own, of course. They are sticking to the mindset that new pavilions must be sponsored and paid for by someone else...even though that financing model does not seem to work in 2012.

EpcoTim

I think Brazil should be added just because there are so many Brazilian tour groups that come to WDW...they would love to gravitate to the Brazil pavilion. Maybe they would spend all day there and it would alleviate some of the problems with the tour groups if they had a lot of activities there for them to enjoy.

There is no way you can possibly be serious. You're an American, right? Do you spend all day at the magical American pavilion doing all the magical American themed activities? Do you love to "gravitate" to the American pavilion because you're an American? Does the American pavilion alleviate some of the problems related to the Americans in the park? Would you travel to Brazil and hang out at a McDonalds all day?

Thats why no one can get a seat at Le Cellier, it's the Canadians. The lousy Canucks flying all the way to Orlando to hog some table time at a restaurant that would probably go out of business if it were really in Canada. Doing all their Canadian activities like buying moccasins and watching vintage 360 degree footage of their homeland. Keeps 'em out of Adventureland, I guess. The bums.

SirLink

I remember awhile back a rumor floating around about how Lego was going to sponser the imagination pavilion but I don't remember.

I believe it was Merf suggesting that the Norway pavilion would be re-themed to Denmark - with a Lego based attraction.

Here is the link

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom