Any Future TRON Promotions at WDW?

jedimaster

Original Poster
Are there going to be any other promotions for TRON: Legacy besides the TRONorail? The reason for asking is that I saw several videos on Youtube that shows a TRON scene for the World of Color show at Disney California Adventure. It seems like they are doing a lot of marketing on the west coast as compared to WDW. I would think Epcot would be a perfect place to market TRON: Legacy. Projections onto Spaceship Earth might seem the way to go and I'm sure it would look awesome.

Here's a couple of videos I watched...it's so cool! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWRTCqE-GFc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VKKg1biRHM

TP2000

Disney Parks Blog has a great post and short video up of the TRON encore segment playing nightly now at every World of Color show. It's a very impressive use of the technology installed for World of Color.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/11/video-world-of-color-tron-legacy-encore/

This plays well at California Adventure because the elecTRONica dance party is held on the other side of the park at night, so the TRON encore kind of ties it together with elecTRONica. http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/10/electronica-starts-tonight/

And yet it's fascinating how there hasn't been much about TRON at WDW yet. This concept was discussed in the differences between the two Tangled meet n' greets at Disneyland and WDW; how the two American properties decide what to showcase and market in their theme parks, and where that money comes from when it's a product of the Walt Disney Studios movie division of Disney???

The dramatic difference in marketing, and even mentioning, the upcoming TRON movie between Disneyland Resort and WDW Resort is even more striking than Tangled.

sponono88

I remember hearing that it could be related to DL's close proximity to Burbank and the studios. Tangled recently had a media day at DL, with the actors doing press junkets in addition to taking pictures inside the Fantasyland Meet-N-Greet. At ElecTRONica, they invited people who worked on the film for the event's opening night and for the official Meet-Up.

Or maybe it's just something as simple as different management in each resort.

Disney Parks Blog has a great post and short video up of the TRON encore segment playing nightly now at every World of Color show. It's a very impressive use of the technology installed for World of Color.

The new TRON segment also uses new laser effects and projections, in addition to the tech originally installed for the show. It's pretty amazing!

redshoesrock

I'm still waiting for a Lightcycle ride. That would be great. Disneyland always gets the cool stuff.

If the movie blows up and makes mad money, odds are good we'll see a Tron ride...or at least a permanent presence in the parks. So go see it when it comes out and tell your friends to see it too!

Thrill Seeker

If the movie blows up and makes mad money, odds are good we'll see a Tron ride...or at least a permanent presence in the parks. So go see it when it comes out and tell your friends to see it too!

Just based on how it looks and early buzz, I think that is going to happen...

funkycold

i wish studios would embrace something tron other than a giant billboard. after all they're the movie park...get rid of the dated narnia and put stuff from tron to hype up more people and get more people excited to see it, or even put it in one of the many empty buildings. doesn't have to be a huge attraction (for now) but just something to get people more excited about it, especially kids who have never seen the first tron. but hey, that makes too much sense... :brick:

TP2000

i wish studios would embrace something tron other than a giant billboard. after all they're the movie park...

DHS would seem to be a great place to do a WDW version of elecTRONica. Nightly dance parties, a recreation of Flynn's Arcade, glowing cocktails, 10 minute 3-D TRON preview in the MuppetVision theater all night long, nightly Laserman performances, etc., etc.

elecTRONica has been extremely popular at Disney California Adventure the past few weeks.

et0198382SMALL.jpg

But then, we all know that WDW can't have nice things because the "WDW demographics are different" and "Disneyland is a locals-only park" and "seasonal or short-term changes to WDW parks will RUIN VACATIONS". :rolleyes:

stitch2008

I remember hearing that it could be related to DL's close proximity to Burbank and the studios. Tangled recently had a media day at DL, with the actors doing press junkets in addition to taking pictures inside the Fantasyland Meet-N-Greet. At ElecTRONica, they invited people who worked on the film for the event's opening night and for the official Meet-Up.

Or maybe it's just something as simple as different management in each resort.
This. The only reason its at DCA alone. They are heavily marketing the film in California. I mean they've had billboards advertising the film since last summer I believe. They probably wanted to do a big event close to where they film is being finished. All those special Tron Legacy events, like when they revealed the light cycle at comic con, have taken place in Cali as well. Except for Tron Night that was at every IMAX theatre in the world(which I went and enjoyed alot :wave:) This has nothing to do with TDO management I don't think.

DHS would seem to be a great place to do a WDW version of elecTRONica. Nightly dance parties, a recreation of Flynn's Arcade, glowing cocktails, 10 minute 3-D TRON preview in the MuppetVision theater all night long, nightly Laserman performances, etc., etc.

elecTRONica has been extremely popular at Disney California Adventure the past few weeks.

et0198382SMALL.jpg

But then, we all know that WDW can't have nice things because the "WDW demographics are different" and "Disneyland is a locals-only park" and "seasonal or short-term changes to WDW parks will RUIN VACATIONS". :rolleyes:

Like I said above. It's more related to the fact that the film is being heavily marketed in California then in other parts of the country; for now at least. And where would you put it at DHS now? If I'm not mistaken, the Osbourne Lights should be going up now.

RSoxNo1

I think we'll know about a Tron attraction in the parks when the Box Office numbers come out for opening weekend (11/19).

Now I'm not saying that Disney will make an announcement about a Tron attraction on opening weekend of the movie, they won't. But they're looking at this as a potential Alice in Wonderland level box office #. If it has an opening weekend over $100 million it's a pretty safe bet that Tron will have a much bigger presence in the parks.

We asked Jim Hill about this on our 10/24 show, with a specific eye towards Disneyland. He informed us that the old Peoplemover/Rocket Rods tracks were an option for a Tron based attraction, but OSHA regulations would require an access ladder every 300 feet. This could create a problem from a visual standpoint as well as a safety standpoint (people on the ground climbing up the ladders). I imagine if Tron is the level of success that Disney is hoping, they'll find a way to make it work.

puntagordabob

That will only change when our various groups all unite to have a common voice (like Bring the Disneyland version of the Tiki Room show to WDW for example lol).... I believe that it is only a matter of time before this happens, and I think the WDW locals and frequent visitor family is starting to realize this in more and more numbers.... all we need is someone in the community to "step up to the plate"....

darthspielberg

I think Disney could easily set up a mini version of ElecTRONica in Tommorowland around the Stitch stage. Have a DJ, have some cool lighting effects, put some Tron games in the Space Mountain arcade, and boom, extra marketing.

I also think they could do something cool in Epcot. have a mini-pavilion set to interactive entertainment and video games, and the signiture could be a VR Tron attraction.

SMRT-1

I think Disney could easily set up a mini version of ElecTRONica in Tommorowland around the Stitch stage. Have a DJ, have some cool lighting effects, put some Tron games in the Space Mountain arcade, and boom, extra marketing.

I also think they could do something cool in Epcot. have a mini-pavilion set to interactive entertainment and video games, and the signiture could be a VR Tron attraction.

no kidding. but they won't.

flavious27

Are there going to be any other promotions for TRON: Legacy besides the TRONorail? The reason for asking is that I saw several videos on Youtube that shows a TRON scene for the World of Color show at Disney California Adventure. It seems like they are doing a lot of marketing on the west coast as compared to WDW. I would think Epcot would be a perfect place to market TRON: Legacy. Projections onto Spaceship Earth might seem the way to go and I'm sure it would look awesome.

Here's a couple of videos I watched...it's so cool! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWRTCqE-GFc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VKKg1biRHM

A new ride based on tron would be cool, if they could somehow use a ride system similar to lexus' new simulator.

Fable McCloud

Lightcycles...just saying.

A presence for Tron would be nice, especially if you know, we can see the character of Tron...who apparently is NOT in the film. The actor, Bruce Boxlieter is involved as his human counterpart, but the actual TRON program is not himself, present in the movie. It makes me angry when I have to correct my sophomores, repeatedly telling them that "the Tron world in Kingdom Hearts features a character named Tron, but the world in the computer is not called TRON.!!"

//End rant//

Sorry about that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom