Any Efforts to Document the Final Days of JAWS?

Timekeeper

Original Poster
I know that the JAWS closure is being discussed in another thread, but without worrying about replacement rumors, I have a question:

Does anyone know if there are any centralized efforts to document the final month of this attraction before it's closed? Or is it every man for himself when it comes to getting the final photos and videos?

I would think that an attraction like this has a significant fan following. Add to that the popular attraction closing during a time of digital photography/videography, online publishing and social networks, and it seems like there would be some fan sites or groups dedicated to immortalizing this classic.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?:shrug:

:cry:

Bairstow

The only one I knew of was amityisland.net and it's been offline for a while.

What is there really to document? It's not as if this thing had too many intricate details compared to something like World of Motion or Horizons.

I suppose someone could take some detailed pictures of all the fiberglass fishguts in Quint's shack, but beyond that...?

Timekeeper

Original Poster
World of Motion and Horizons do have something in common with Jaws; nostalgia. We're seeing fewer and fewer attractions use underwater mechanics and show elements, and with its history of admitted issues, I would think that Jaws interests plenty of fans.

Anyway, since we have advance notice that this is going down in the near future, I just thought that something like Extinct Attractions would jump on board and create the ultimate reference bank of material before it goes away for good :cry: You know, now that we have high definition video cameras, higher resolution still cameras, etc.

If Carousel of Progress was announced to be closing in 30 days, plenty of people would be scurrying to capture some final memories of the show.

Skip

Good find!

The sound effects from this ride are bizarre, though.
Why does the shark scream like a woman?

Never got that either. Most people never even notice the shark "roars," though. (In reality sharks don't make noise at all... you can thank The Revenge for that "innovation...")

Timekeeper

Original Poster
I must say that this is an awesome (or should I say, "jawsome") time to ride JAWS!

First, the skippers appear to have backed off the whole "no photography or videotaping" part of their safety spiel. Instead, they just warn that cameras may get wet, and to refrain from flash photography at night. I like this because, although people would photo/record anyway, this way the guests who do so won't appear to be "rude rule-breakers" in the eyes of the other guests.

Second, the skippers are having a bit more "fun" with their roles, which includes added enthusiasm as well as some "off-script" comments alluding to the ride's closure. These have been quite comical. For example, at the end of the ride when the skipper spiels about asking that the guests not tell anyone about what happened (the shark attack), one skipper said, "If word of this little 'fish episode' were to get out, well, it would be my job (termination), and Heather's job, and Robert's job... nah, they'd never shut us down." :ROFLOL:

When the skippers have fun, it shows, and makes for an overall better show. And I've never heard such enthusiastic cheers and applause from the guests.

So, the experience is probably better now than it ever has been :sohappy:

We're gonna miss this one :cry:

Matpez

I've begun working on a final ride through video that focuses on the sights and sounds of the attraction without just being another video of a skipper on a boat including the source audio & effects.
473752850.jpg

Also, over 400 unedited photos of Amity and the attraction: https://picasaweb.google.com/100540466590889002547/JAWSAmity?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMqY292YhtL7PA&feat=directlink

Disneydreamer23

i was there in October/november i am on my lab top but on my reg computer i have the whole ride in dark on video and pictures from the dark too ( because i road during Halloween horror nights) On Oct 31 and then after that i didnt see it again. Im glad i got to ride one last time becauase the rides i remember the most from when i was a child from theme parks in orlando period are jaws et and dumbo, now that one is gone At least i got to ride on jaws one last time and being on my honeymoon thats extra special.

Timekeeper

Original Poster
I've begun working on a final ride through video that focuses on the sights and sounds of the attraction without just being another video of a skipper on a boat including the source audio & effects.

Also, over 400 unedited photos of Amity and the attraction: ...

Terrific! I look forward to seeing your video project. This is exactly what I was hoping people would do - and share. Great job. Thanks! :sohappy:

JT3000

I rode 5 times last night. It was fun, but the kill shark went on strike. They closed it at 6:00 and reopened about half an hour later. Better to stay open with missing sharks than permanently close early I suppose.

71jason

I rode 5 times last night. It was fun, but the kill shark went on strike. They closed it at 6:00 and reopened about half an hour later. Better to stay open with missing sharks than permanently close early I suppose.

Agreed. Skipper covered it nicely, "He must be underwater, but I think I got him!"

What struck me the most on my final trip to Amity was the detail in the queue--it's almost as good as Potter's, but it was done 20 years ago. As good as HM or PotC or anything at WDW...I guess the shame is it was never used for anything other than HHN for a decade or so.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom