Any Bets on What Comes After Galaxy's Edge?

The Grand Inquisitor

Trade theme park rights to Marvel for Simpsons
1622145461994.png

MagicHappens1971

so universal would have to strip about a 25% of IOA to not pay a residual on an old cartoon that likely doesn’t cost them much?
While I agree that this is unlikely to happen, as someone mentioned a few pages down. Disney & Universal are both bound by this contract, universal can make little to no changes to Superhero Island without Disney’s approval. I don’t think that this is impossible. I’d say the Hulk coaster is one of the biggest draws in IOA, but that and Spider-Man could be easily Rethemed. The land has very minimal theming and stripping Hulk of the color and other elements may be logical. I mean same could be said for the Simpsons, but I feel as though universal has invested a lot into the Simpsons over the past few years. I mean we could go back and forth and discuss what would be easier for universal, to retheme Simpson’s or Superhero Island, but only time will tell what is in the best interest of both companies. But I’m sure when the time comes TWDC & NBCUniversal will have a sit down and decide for themselves

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
While I agree that this is unlikely to happen, as someone mentioned a few pages down. Disney & Universal are both bound by this contract, universal can make little to no changes to Superhero Island without Disney’s approval. I don’t think that this is impossible. I’d say the Hulk coaster is one of the biggest draws in IOA, but that and Spider-Man could be easily Rethemed. The land has very minimal theming and stripping Hulk of the color and other elements may be logical. I mean same could be said for the Simpsons, but I feel as though universal has invested a lot into the Simpsons over the past few years. I mean we could go back and forth and discuss what would be easier for universal, to retheme Simpson’s or Superhero Island, but only time will tell what is in the best interest of both companies. But I’m sure when the time comes TWDC & NBCUniversal will have a sit down and decide for themselves
IOA could do without the marvel characters far more than Disney would be willing to buy them Back.

disney isn’t interested in building more rides...they are plugging in ones when areas have collapsed or gone stagnate.

the perfect example is tron...a good add...but sandwiched in where basically the entire land is obselete or dilapidated. The whole land needs to go. But with a shiny coaster there...you can slap some paint on the old stuff and limp along for another 10-20 years

RSoxNo1

IOA could do without the marvel characters far more than Disney would be willing to buy them Back.

disney isn’t interested in building more rides...they are plugging in ones when areas have collapsed or gone stagnate.

the perfect example is tron...a good add...but sandwiched in where basically the entire land is obselete or dilapidated. The whole land needs to go. But with a shiny coaster there...you can slap some paint on the old stuff and limp along for another 10-20 years
The placement of Tron is my biggest issue with it. This would have been a great opportunity to integrate the coaster in and around a Speedway style attraction on the existing Speedway footprint. Not only did they fail to do that, they also haven't given any indication that the Speedway will be updated.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Both Universal and Disney are hamstrung by the contract. Universal can't do much with it without Disney's approval. Just because they are competitors doesn't mean that something can't move.

I feel like the decision to retheme would be so much easier if Spiderman wasn't such a perfect attraction exactly the way it is... everything else could be relatively easily (and cheaply) rethemed if necessary... probably to a theme that is better for Universal to manage... but Spiderman?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The placement of Tron is my biggest issue with it. This would have been a great opportunity to integrate the coaster in and around a Speedway style attraction on the existing Speedway footprint. Not only did they fail to do that, they also haven't given any indication that the Speedway will be updated.

and that’s the problem...that would have shown foresight and a commitment to reinvestment.

I think a big part of that is not addressing space, buzz, speedway, the ghost of alien encounter and carousel.

that land is really run down

doctornick

Both Universal and Disney are hamstrung by the contract. Universal can't do much with it without Disney's approval. Just because they are competitors doesn't mean that something can't move.

I’ve brought this up before but it’s worth repeating: any theoretical deal between Disney and Uni wouldn’t have to be Uni giving up the Marvel rights in total. The most plausible solution would be a sharing of Marvel rights - Uni giving up their exclusivity of characters and the Marvel name. That would allow Uni to continue to have their land and attractions without having to do a costly retheme and Disney could get to use more characters at WDW and the Marvel name at their parks (including DLR).

I do not think that will ever happen but it’s at least in the realm of plausibility especially if there is something Disney can offer Comcast.

doctornick

That being said regarding Marvel… in addition to Dr Strange (and GOTG), both The Eternals and Shang Chi should be available to use in the parks so if they probably have enough characters to build a land at DHS if they wanted. Or even a kinda less specific superhero land with The Incredibles.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’ve brought this up before but it’s worth repeating: any theoretical deal between Disney and Uni wouldn’t have to be Uni giving up the Marvel rights in total. The most plausible solution would be a sharing of Marvel rights - Uni giving up their exclusivity of characters and the Marvel name. That would allow Uni to continue to have their land and attractions without having to do a costly retheme and Disney could get to use more characters at WDW and the Marvel name at their parks (including DLR).

I do not think that will ever happen but it’s at least in the realm of plausibility especially if there is something Disney can offer Comcast.

I just saw the Spider-Man ride they opened today in California...I’m thinking best to leave it alone...

when’s the exhilarating trackless open? 🙄

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
After seeing Avengers Campus at DCA Universal can keep the Marvel theme park rights. I still want Universal to get full ownership of the Simpsons but yikes is Avengers Campus awful.

well...it’s not done yet...

Aside from the ride, the Campus has all the undelivered SWGE features. A land half the size of Batuu has 2 stunt stages, 2 stage shows, and is stacked with characters.

Tons of live entertainment in an otherwise lackluster area for rides.

...but yeah...you need that stuff...speaking of “underachievement”

RSoxNo1

Aside from the ride, the Campus has all the undelivered SWGE features. A land half the size of Batuu has 2 stunt stages, 2 stage shows, and is stacked with characters.

Tons of live entertainment in an otherwise lackluster area for rides.
Agreed, there's some lessons learned from Galaxy's Edge represented in Avengers Campus. It's not intended to be canon, it's not set in a particular point in time and characters can exist from any time frame in the MCU within the land. This is how Galaxy's Edge should have been built. It's a theme park land, not a movie. The rules don't need to be that strict.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed, there's some lessons learned from Galaxy's Edge represented in Avengers Campus. It's not intended to be canon, it's not set in a particular point in time and characters can exist from any time frame in the MCU within the land. This is how Galaxy's Edge should have been built. It's a theme park land, not a movie. The rules don't need to be that strict.

...see I thought the lesson was not to not use your most popular characters...and then try to convince the consumer it doesn’t matter??

...the other lesson could have been to cut labor and adjust in the last year or two of your ridiculously too long construction schedules...

TikibirdLand

I didn’t expect a big budget ride...they did disclaim that...

But man...it looks like an 8 bit millennium falcon.

the redundancy in the ride systems went from something noticeable to DEFCON 2 in 5 years flat.
TSMM was the vibe I got watching the videos. Since it's Marvel, things on the screen have to happen at 4X real life speed. The method of "shooting" was interesting. But, in some videos, people were using something on their wrists. Did that provide some kind of enhanced experience?

The live stuff seems to be carrying the campus. Is that stuff going to stick around long-term? Disneyland seems to have more live performers in the past. So, I hope so. Dr. Strange's magic show was cute. But, each trick was something from a K-Tel Magic Kit. It reminded a bit of Enchanted Tales With Belle, but with Dr. Strange. Once you see the comparison, there's no un-seeing it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom