Any Bets on What Comes After Galaxy's Edge?

Screamface

I liked it as well and also suspect that it was (not intentionally) set up to fail, esp coming on the heels of a more successful than expected Black Panther then Infinity War (iirc).
RE: SOLO

It also came out a week after Deadpool 2.

They should have pushed it back to July/August/September.

There was a period of months that year where there weren't many big releases besides Mission Impossible. Films like the Meg came out during that period and did better than Solo. That film is ok, but I'm sure it did as well as it did for lack of anything else out.

Everyone seems to be onboard with Solo being a decent to good film. I would be more interested in a film or TV series based off that, even if not on Han, than more of the sequels.

Screamface

I hope they just add some actual Star Wars to G.E. and not the crud of the Disney movies.

They could start by adding Han Solo to the Millenium Falcon ride. I still can't get over that.

Currently financial issues aside, it has to be a given that the land will revert back to the original plans of catering to all eras. IIRC, that was the original plan by Imagineers, but the non-Star Wars fans under Kathleen Kennedy were given control after The Force Awakens did so well. As Iger mistakenly believed they were responsible. Or so leaks say. Hence a Millenium Falcon ride without Han Solo. Really knowing the fan base there...

With the recent rumours of Disney looked to shift the sequels to an alternate Star Wars universe, those talks would certainly involve the future of GE. At the very least, we're not getting any new films or TV based around the sequels, which will further isolate GE from Star Wars.

Rogue1138

I actually liked Solo and thought Alden Ehrenreich did a great job. I think coming out less than 6 months after Last Jedi and the backlash from that really hurt its boxoffice. Moving onto Indy, I think they can absolutely make an Indy land that is relevant today. New fantasyland was based on movies from 1994, 1989, and 1937. Indy came out in 1981, 1984, and 1989 (nope definitely never make a 4th one) so pretty comparable to 1/3 of new fantasyland.

Solo was a really fun movie. The problems it had were multiple. No trailer before Last Jedi to continue the hype, short window of poor marketing, releasing the movie in the shadow of Infinity War and around other summer blockbusters, and Disney has been HORRIBLE with negative press. The negative press thing has one of the biggest factors in Star Wars right now. You had Mark Hamill dunking on The Last Jedi, then during the press tour for Rise of Skywalker they all dumped on the movie, now they're ripping on Rise of Skywalker. Plus when you have every clickbait media website reporting fan opinions off Reddit like it's gospel and no hype or excitement directly from Lucasfilm (we're two and a half years away from a new movie and they got nothing to say?), it's a clustermug.

/endopinion :)

MrConbon

They could start by adding Han Solo to the Millenium Falcon ride. I still can't get over that.

Currently financial issues aside, it has to be a given that the land will revert back to the original plans of catering to all eras. IIRC, that was the original plan by Imagineers, but the non-Star Wars fans under Kathleen Kennedy were given control after The Force Awakens did so well. As Iger mistakenly believed they were responsible. Or so leaks say. Hence a Millenium Falcon ride without Han Solo. Really knowing the fan base there...

With the recent rumours of Disney looked to shift the sequels to an alternate Star Wars universe, those talks would certainly involve the future of GE. At the very least, we're not getting any new films or TV based around the sequels, which will further isolate GE from Star Wars.
Because GE takes place between TLJ and tRoS in the timeline. By that point Han is out of the picture.

Screamface

Because GE takes place between TLJ and tRoS in the timeline. By that point Han is out of the picture.

The specific timeline for the whole land needs to be scrapped. It was a boneheaded move. It's very limiting that a franchise with a story set roughly over 100 years chooses to limit itself to a 1 year period, between two sequels with diminishing box offices, both disliked by large sections of everyone, from the least creatively interesting films in the series.

Last edited:

MrConbon

The specific timeline for the whole land needs to be scrapped. It was a boneheaded move. It's very limiting that a franchise with a story set roughly over 100 years chooses to limit itself to a 1 year period, between two sequels with diminishing box offices, both disliked by large sections of everyone, from the least creatively interesting films in the series.
Which is your opinion.

Screamface

Bit full of yourself aren’t ya?

Not really, no.

I just personally think it'd make more sense to open up a Star Wars land to the vast worlds, imagination, events and characters of Star Wars. The vision of its creator. Then to limit the land to a dull 1 year time period between two films he had no part in creating in a trilogy he by all accounts loathes. Especially as Lucasfilm and Disney are not wanting to touch the sequel's version of Star Wars with a ten-foot pole.

The opportunities for exciting new rides to delight kids and adults from other parts of the Universe would kind of be neat.

Last edited:

Joesixtoe

Not really know.

I just personally think it'd make more sense to open up a Star Wars land to the vast worlds, imagination, events and characters of Star Wars. The vision of its creator. Then to limit the land to a dull 1 year time period between two films he had no part in creating in a trilogy he by all accounts loathes. Especially as Lucasfilm and Disney are not wanting to touch the sequel's version of Star Wars with a ten-foot pole.

The opportunities for exciting new rides to delight kids and adults from other parts of the Universe would kind of be neat.
I agree... I think Disney banked on the success of the force awakens and really thought we were going to love their sequels. Thus they made a land were they wanted us to get fully immersed as if we are actually in the movie. this is why I believe there are no roller coasters cause that takes you out of the immersion. I think they need to abandon this concept and throw in star wars as a whole and just enjoy it.

Robbiem

Hubris and ego of the people at the top have a lot to answer for.

spending a fortune on a land based on one of the biggest pop culture phenomenons of all time (only James Bond and Harry Potter really only compare) and then not using the iconic characters you own is just daft.
to most people star wars is vader, R2D2 and c3po, Boba Fett

to say we dont need this we’ll do our own version makes you question why they bought star wars in the first place

people may dis on Lucas for the prequels (which I love by the way) but he managed to balance fan favourites with new characters so we got Padme, Qui Gon, Darth Maul etc as well as seeing Yoda fight, Palpatine become the emperor etc

Rogue1138

Hubris and ego of the people at the top have a lot to answer for.

spending a fortune on a land based on one of the biggest pop culture phenomenons of all time (only James Bond and Harry Potter really only compare) and then not using the iconic characters you own is just daft.
to most people star wars is vader, R2D2 and c3po, Boba Fett

I agree and disagree with this. I do think the decisions at the top effected the overall effect of Galaxy's Edge. I do not believe the era it was set in had anything to do with it. All three movies were wildly successful films and the first two were highly rated by audiences. GE is missing (I don't go finally until Sept but I consume everything I can about it) the promised Star Wars world experience. All the things cut for budget that actually made it immersive. A daily stunt show like the did when RotR opened, bounty hunters and droids walking around, interactive environments outside of our phones. Imagine having Rey take kids to a "secret yet public" location to train as a Jedi. I think if they actually sold what they were selling, people would buy into the Sequels. There's great characters and a great story (Not you, Rise of Skywalker), you just have to want something new instead of regurgitating nostalgia.

Mike S

I agree and disagree with this. I do think the decisions at the top effected the overall effect of Galaxy's Edge. I do not believe the era it was set in had anything to do with it. All three movies were wildly successful films and the first two were highly rated by audiences. GE is missing (I don't go finally until Sept but I consume everything I can about it) the promised Star Wars world experience. All the things cut for budget that actually made it immersive. A daily stunt show like the did when RotR opened, bounty hunters and droids walking around, interactive environments outside of our phones. Imagine having Rey take kids to a "secret yet public" location to train as a Jedi. I think if they actually sold what they were selling, people would buy into the Sequels. There's great characters and a great story (Not you, Rise of Skywalker), you just have to want something new instead of regurgitating nostalgia.
I was totally on board with getting something new. It just wasn’t actually good.

Jones14

I was totally on board with getting something new. It just wasn’t actually good.
I know this is getting into opinions, but I’d argue what’s there *is* good, but too much of it is hidden behind a paywall. That’s not necessarily a permanent problem, but until they add back in more characters, droids, shows, and/or another ride it’s going to feel like something’s missing.

Mike S

I know this is getting into opinions, but I’d argue what’s there *is* good, but too much of it is hidden behind a paywall. That’s not necessarily a permanent problem, but until they add back in more characters, droids, shows, and/or another ride it’s going to feel like something’s missing.
I was referring to the movies. I love both rides in the land despite my dislike of the sequels and the lack of energy around the land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom