Any Bets on What Comes After Galaxy's Edge?

FigmentFan82

Can't seem to find satellite view with SWGE construction... but here are some of the expansion pads for DHS:
1) SWGE berm: the land between SWGE and MMRR has enough room for a 3rd giant attraction in the land
2)SWGE Triangle: In the south west corner of the park there is a little triangle bordered by SWGE, world drive, and the entrance road to DHS
3) BatB land: Basically the BatB theater is on an awkward diagonal that takes up a ton of room. The theater could be moved/ rotated and open up a fair amount of space for expansion
4) Backstage: A huge section of back stage area that used to be used for the studio tour, but is now just offices. The offices could be moved elsewhere and the park could expand. This is the land between Animation Courtyard and RnRC
5) North of Lightning McQueen Racing Academy (LMRC? never seen anyone abbreviate it): Large forested area north of the Academy that could be expanded onto. would require moving of some backstage roads
6)Indy Parking lot: Basically the parking lot behind Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular was almost used for Star Wars. This could either be a demo of the show with expansion, or a demo of backlot express to give access to the lot.
7) Area between ToT and Fantasmic: some backstage stuff going on, but already has a path going right next to it.

I'm sure there are more, but that's what I know.
Great lists of suggestions using the existed areas that could be available for expansion! Clearly there is opportunity in this park to further expand. Let's see if any of it happens!! Fingers crossed!!

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
DHS has a whole brand new parking lot in can expand into if they want/need to, they can always clear more land for another one.

Janir

Did everyone forget they are overhauling EPCOT and the Innovations area? ;) They didn't announce anything super specific fornthe EPCOT play area they are building but that's the next major project post SWGE.

Purduevian

For
Can't seem to find satellite view with SWGE construction... but here are some of the expansion pads for DHS:
1) SWGE berm: the land between SWGE and MMRR has enough room for a 3rd giant attraction in the land
2)SWGE Triangle: In the south west corner of the park there is a little triangle bordered by SWGE, world drive, and the entrance road to DHS
3) BatB land: Basically the BatB theater is on an awkward diagonal that takes up a ton of room. The theater could be moved/ rotated and open up a fair amount of space for expansion
4) Backstage: A huge section of back stage area that used to be used for the studio tour, but is now just offices. The offices could be moved elsewhere and the park could expand. This is the land between Animation Courtyard and RnRC
5) North of Lightning McQueen Racing Academy (LMRC? never seen anyone abbreviate it): Large forested area north of the Academy that could be expanded onto. would require moving of some backstage roads
6)Indy Parking lot: Basically the parking lot behind Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular was almost used for Star Wars. This could either be a demo of the show with expansion, or a demo of backlot express to give access to the lot.
7) Area between ToT and Fantasmic: some backstage stuff going on, but already has a path going right next to it.

I'm sure there are more, but that's what I know.

Figured out the updated satellite view on Google Maps (need to turn off "Globe")
Areas 1 and 2

Areas 3 and 7

Area 4 and 5

Area 6:

Unplugged

Figured out the updated satellite view on Google Maps (need to turn off "Globe")

On Google Earth, just turn off 3D buildings. That's old data that overlays the updated satellite images, but you can keep the globe view.
Seeing how Disney does things, while technically they can do anything they want, here's my thought on potentials:
  • They put a lot into the berm in order to keep "land" separation as they need the trees to tell the story and there's not much depth. Rule out #1.
  • I don't see them expanding the studios outside the waterway, so rule out #2.
  • I think the end of the BatB show is in the not so distant future, which would free up #3. Even if it only reimagineered as a new show, that's something.
    I doubt we'll see them use #7 as the power distribution is just North of that, so they cannot move those facilities to an easy to reach location.
  • I could see #4 being used as they could finally clear out the last of the Animation relics and bring more usable or profitable space. This could even expand "Pixar land" fairly easily with other characters.
  • However, they would need more space for backstage support, so that could eat into #5. Also #5 is out of the way for an easy flow, rule it out.
  • I definitely agree with #7, but expand on that thought. I think everything from the Indy down to the Muppets is a possibility, including part of the new parking lot. IMHO, they built the level of the lot much higher knowing it was settling. While I thought they couldn't really build on that spot, they might be able to do a parking structure if the footings are deep enough. (I don't know the engineering for that spot of land.) If they put in a garage, that would free up all the space between the SWL & SW Resort, which would make sense for a Phase 2, if they ever did that. I cannot imagine they are done milking this cash cow and they should have learned from Universal HP experience. Once they validate that the new SWL was essentially printing their own money that is.

midwest_mice

If the Pixar Pier goes over well at California Adventure(I know these were just overlays of exisiting rides), I would like them to bring some Pixar to an expansion with some classic dark rides. Monster Inc ride, Inside Out, etc. I do agree that the stage shows should be looked at possible replacement.

DisneyDean97

First post here on the forums, been watching and following along for a few months, but I'd like to just add my two cents to this discussion.
I always liked how growing up MGM Studios was known as Disney's "thrill park" because of Tower of Terror and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, and I really hope what ever Disney decides to do next with Hollywood Studios they'll look into adding another thrill ride to this park. I know an Indiana Jones expansion has been percolating on these forums for a while, and would be a perfect opportunity to add another thrill to the park.
My biggest concern is Disney will blur the lines between their 4 parks and they'll become very similar to each, other rather than being distinct. I know Disney is adding two thrilling coasters to Magic Kingdom and Epcot, but Hollywood Studios shouldn't be overlooked for this category. Disney was once determined to add more attractions to appeal to teens and adults; and I personally miss that era.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
First post here on the forums, been watching and following along for a few months, but I'd like to just add my two cents to this discussion.
I always liked how growing up MGM Studios was known as Disney's "thrill park" because of Tower of Terror and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, and I really hope what ever Disney decides to do next with Hollywood Studios they'll look into adding another thrill ride to this park. I know an Indiana Jones expansion has been percolating on these forums for a while, and would be a perfect opportunity to add another thrill to the park.
My biggest concern is Disney will blur the lines between their 4 parks and they'll become very similar to each, other rather than being distinct. I know Disney is adding two thrilling coasters to Magic Kingdom and Epcot, but Hollywood Studios shouldn't be overlooked for this category. Disney was once determined to add more attractions to appeal to teens and adults; and I personally miss that era.

Hate to break it to you, but current WDW is most definitely steering away from high thrill rides. They need to lure families out of the overburdened MK and into the other three parks. That means more family-friendly. Take Slinky-Dog, e.g., not high thrills, but just enough to make it fun for adults and children. It's going to be a long time before WDW builds a big-drop or inverted anything... if ever.

winstongator

Hate to break it to you, but current WDW is most definitely steering away from high thrill rides. They need to lure families out of the overburdened MK and into the other three parks. That means more family-friendly. Take Slinky-Dog, e.g., not high thrills, but just enough to make it fun for adults and children. It's going to be a long time before WDW builds a big-drop or inverted anything... if ever.
Agree on some of the new coasters: 7dmt & sdd. The non thrilling rides added to news lands have been underwhelming, especially so for alien swirling saucers.

Guardians isn’t going to be thrilling? I thought tron looked thrilling when I watched the videos. The galaxy’s edge, while not fast or drops, should be among the most impressive ride since anywhere.

PJBuckeye

In the Parks
Yes

This is a huge issue with management. The best way to handle the crowding of MK is to add capacity to MK.

The most obvious demo that Disney could improve on is teenagers. The best way to lure them is with thrill rides, which the Studios is in the best position to add.

Ripken10

Expand upon that... Mr. Most Overrated record in baseball history
Adding capacity does not solve the problem. This has been discussed at great lengths in the past and really didn't even need a response. It just shows a lack of understanding of the entire scope of the situation.

PJBuckeye

In the Parks
Yes
Adding capacity does not solve the problem. This has been discussed at great lengths in the past and really didn't even need a response. It just shows a lack of understanding of the entire scope of the situation.

Fine... Make Epcot more Disney... Put Zootopia in in AK...

Pedro Soto

Quick question of the rumored $2.8 billion budget expansion of DHS how much is leftover after MMRR opens next spring?? (estimates)
SWGE = $1 billion
TSL= $275 mil
MMRR = $300 mil ??
Park Renovations = ???
Star Wars hotel= ???
So with D23 expo just around the corner what can be next ??? If there is any $$ left of the budget??
@marni1971 @Magic Feather ???

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Quick question of the rumored $2.8 billion budget expansion of DHS how much is leftover after MMRR opens next spring?? (estimates)
SWGE = $1 billion
TSL= $275 mil
MMRR = $300 mil ??
Park Renovations = ???
Star Wars hotel= ???
So with D23 expo just around the corner what can be next ??? If there is any $$ left of the budget??
@marni1971 @Magic Feather ???

You’re not asking the correct question: what is the current management situation?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom