Another Troubling New Disney Bio

Mufasa's Pride

Original Poster
I know many know about this book and its been out for a few weeks, but its made front page news again. What an interesting review......

On MSN'S Homepage this morning:

If you’ve ever hankered for the real lowdown on Mickey Mouse’s creator and alter ego—it’s worth the hankering, since he was one of America’s most influential mythographers—Neal Gabler’s “Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination” has it, sort of. Don’t expect to feel, at last, that you know the man: nobody did. Still, its 800-odd pages (including more than 150 pages of notes) nudge at the limits of the knowable, or at least of the absorbable.

Everybody suspects Disney wasn’t a guy you’d want to work for or marry, and Gabler’s got the goods on Uncle Walt’s abusive relationship with his employees, his neglected wife and his right-wing politics. Yet Disney wasn’t as colorful a freak as he was rumored to be: not alcoholic, not adulterous, not frozen after death. Gabler, in one of his few flaky comments, argues that this last rumor suggests a subliminal “public unwillingness to let go of him, even to the point of mythologizing him as an immortal ...” Really? By the time he died (1966, lung cancer), Walt Disney had become a punch line for people raised among his coercively upbeat and calculatedly heartwarming creations; the name now suggested totalitarian kitsch. So of course the man himself had to be a grotesque.

And if you’re jaded enough to hanker for some metapleasures along with facts and analysis? Then you’ll have the cruel fun of watching a writer subvert what’s basically a thorough, judicious and illuminating book by means of the writing itself. Gabler, author of the best-selling “An Empire of Their Own: How the Jews Invented Hollywood,” buries sharp insights under a sludge of clichés and barbarisms. For him, “enthused” is both an adjective and a synonym for “said.” At one point, a film executive “beams” something or other in a complimentary telegram; at another, Disney himself “bubbles” something or other to a reporter. But Gabler’s worst choice of words is a single one in his subtitle. Shouldn’t it be “The Triumph of an American Imagination”?
Even if you grant that imagination has a nationality, why should Walt Disney’s imagination be more essentially American than Jefferson’s, Emerson’s, Faulkner’s, Orson Welles’s, Francis Ford Coppola’s or Toni Morrison’s? Since in the book, Gabler clearly points out the limitations of Disney’s vision—in Disneyland, arguably its truest expression, idyllic, whites-only small-town life somehow leads straight to the space program—that subtitle seems no more than slipshod orotundity, meant to puff up the book’s importance. Still, it suggests that Gabler is placing Disney’s sensibility at the heart of all American experience—a silly notion that the book itself is too smart to advance. Gabler gives equal weight to Disney’s critics and admirers, and never puts his thumb on the scale. The most he argues is that Disney was a hugely important figure, and that “understanding him may ... enable one to understand the power of popular culture in shaping the national consciousness ... and the evolution of the American imagination in the twentieth century.” Except for the odd idea that hundreds of millions of people all share some cacophonous “consciousness,” who’d fight him on that?

Disney was Horatio Alger with a damaged spirit and no head for business. His older brother and partner, Roy, tried to keep that side of the enterprise together while Walt ran them into debt over and over with his ever more intense esthetic ambition and the sort of perfectionism that, at one point in the making of “Sleeping Beauty,” had his browbeaten staff completing animation at a rate of one second of screen time per month. Walt repaid the harried, loyal Roy with contempt. At a meeting during “Fantasia,” Roy asked if they could put in some music that “just the ordinary guy like me can like,” Walt kicked him out of the room and told him to “go back down and keep the books.” Why would Roy put up with such abuse—and why would Walt inflict it? Probably because they were raised by a cold, rigid, judgmental father, who ended up hating his sons for their success. When the old man died, Walt didn’t go to the funeral—and it’s one of the few anecdotes in the book where you admire the guy’s character, and not just his single-mindedness.
Disney’s very early animations—the original Mickey Mouse cartoons, for instance—had an anarchic, almost defiant edge, which he soon gentled down and confined to cute antics by, say, the dwarfs in “Snow White” (1937), his first animated feature.

After World War II—during which he mostly made training and propaganda films for the military—Disney deliberately sold out. The laborious, expensive “Pinocchio” (1939), arguably his best film, had lost money. And after “Fantasia” (1940), his high/low magnum opus, the Disney studio was $3 million in debt. (There went a planned collaboration with Salvador Dali.) So Disney began taking money-saving short cuts in the animation process, adopted a flatter, more minimal and modernist style, and surrendered unconditionally to his perennial tendency to pander to the audience with the cutesy-poo and the sentimental. “We’re making corn,” he told one employee. “Let’s make it the best we possibly can. We’re trying to please people.”

Naturally, he lost interest, let the studio crank out the product and fell into a depression—one symptom was his retreat into obsession with his model railroads—and never really recovered until he became an avuncular (sorry, but there’s no other word) TV star with his programs—all the same, really, but with ever-changing names: “Disneyland,” “Walt Disney Presents,” “Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color.” These were synergistic promotional devices for his other TV shows (“Zorro,” “The Mickey Mouse Club”) and especially, as the original name suggests, for Disneyland—the amusement park as installation art, and a three-dimensional, almost life-sized tour of Disney’s obsessions. He patterned its Main Street after the favorite among his several hometowns, Marceline, Mo.; its castle suggested both his love of fairy tales and his not-so-splendid isolation; its Frontierland a stylized version of America’s history as a patriotic small-town guy might see it; its Tomorrowland a vision of the eerily orderly and sanitary lifeless future we could count on if we’d follow such techno-demigods as the recyled Nazi rocket scientist Werner von Braun. Von Braun collaborated on a cheerleading 1955 Disney miniseries called “Man in Space,” which helped build a consensus for NASA’s subsequent adventures.

Gabler is particularly smart on Disneyland. It had “no ambiguity, no contradictions and no dissonance ... The cleanliness, the efficiency with which crowds were queued up to wait for attractions ... all contributed to a sense of absolute well-being ... At Disneyland the guests were part of the overall atmosphere of happiness, and they reveled in their own manipulation because it was so well executed, because it was comfortable and reassuring, and perhaps most of all, because it was so empowering to know that someone could actually have achieved this.” He’s describing totalitarianism lite, where people actually enjoy being lined up and manipulated and gladly settle for a vicarious sense of power and autonomy. Well, it’s certainly one sector of America’s supposed imagination, and you see a lot of this vision being realized these days, from airports to fast-food restaurants. It’s good to know that Gabler, no matter what he seems to imply, isn’t lining up too.

maconMouse

I started reading it this week, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I recommend it highly if you're curious about learning more about this amazing & fascinating man. Gabler is an excellent writer who includes lots of amazing details. From what I heard, he was granted exclusive access to the Disney archives while writing this book. It's going to take me a while to finish it though. I most enjoy reading the influences from his life on the building of Disneyland. Seeing some of Walt's early drawings is neat too.

I have read Bob Thomas' excellent biography of Walt too ("Walt Disney : An American Original"). A lot of WDW cast members recommended that one to me, and endorse it highly.

I haven't heard any reactions from Disney on this new one. Does anyone know if Gabler's book is being sold anywhere at WDW?

sleepybear

Trust me, the book is a whole lot better (and even-handed) than that review suggests. The author's introduction alone is a well-written overview of Walt's life and career, warts and all. Like its title, "Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination," suggests, it deals more with the psychology of Walt and not scandalous tidbits from his past. They're addressed, but not dwelled upon.

And, please, it's a book review on a web site. Hardly what should be called troubling or "front page news."

johnvree

Haven't read the book. Just wanted to make a point about MSN's review: When did they teach us in school that book reviews have to be written so that they are almost unreadable? I could barely get through this review. My God man, use plain English and shorten your sentences.

jeffcot

Neal Gabler's bio has been very, very well reviewed and well received. I am currently reading it and it is very fair and balanced.

The title of this thread is a bit alarmist in nature. The writer of the MSN review seems to be trying to stir up some sensationalism where very little if any exists.

Mufasa's Pride

Original Poster
And, please, it's a book review on a web site. Hardly what should be called troubling or "front page news."

What I meant by "front page news" was that it was on MSN's homepage. As for the title of the thread, that was the title of the story, so I was trying to show how this review affects a non-Disney fan's reception of Disney.

I haven't read the book yet, but I am sure the book is great and I was not trying to downgrade the book in anyway. I was just trying to show another example of our media is trying to kill the Disney image.

JLW11Hi

Wow, that dude had his own agenda for sure when he was writing that review.

Just let us know how the book was, don't "interpret" everything in it for us. Geez.

Bravesfn1

I was just trying to show another example of our media is trying to kill the Disney image.

Please explain why you say this. What are some specific examples where the "media" has tried to kill the Disney image? What media outlets and who in specific is involved in trying to kill the Disney image?

Please explain why you say this.

bugsbunny

This "review" seems to concentrate more on the reviewer's ability to use words that that average American wouldn't understand. It would almost seem he's writing it to impress his "higher ups" in the social scene.

Obviously this reviewer has no idea who the target audience is for this book. When is the last time you used or even heard the words:
  • mythographers
    absorbable
    totalitarian kitsch
    metapleasures
    orotundity
    cacophonous
    opus
    avuncular
    dissonance
    totalitarianism

sleepybear

I was just trying to show another example of our media is trying to kill the Disney image.

I guess that's where we disagree. I've said it before on these boards, but as a member of the media, I know we're not all trying to kill the Disney image. Maybe just a few bad eggs are.

As for the book, I'm glad you have an open mind about it. That was a bad review (written by one of those aformentioned bad eggs.) The book is very good, well-written and pretty darn fascinating.

Mufasa's Pride

Original Poster
Please explain why you say this. What are some specific examples where the "media" has tried to kill the Disney image? What media outlets and who in specific is involved in trying to kill the Disney image?

Please explain why you say this.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11112006/gossip/pagesix/walts_racist_tirades_pagesix_.htm

Walt's Racist Tirades:

November 11, 2006 -- HE built an empire dedicated to delighting kids, but there was nothing endearing about the infamously noxious racial attitudes of Walt Disney. In "Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination," out this month from Knopf, biographer Neal Gabler reveals that Disney used racial epithets referring to African-Americans and called an Italian band heard in the animated classic "Pinocchio" a "bunch of garlic eaters." When animator David Swift told him he was moving to Columbia Pictures, "Walt called him into the office, feigned a Yiddish accent, and said, 'OK, Davy boy, off you go to work with those Jews. It's where you belong, with those Jews.' " When Disney released "Three Little Pigs" in the 1930s, the American Jewish Congress bitterly complained that it featured a wolf as a Jewish peddler - a depiction "so vile, revolting and unnecessary as to constitute a direct affront to the Jews."

World’s too small for Goofy-on-Chip ______ video

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15242140/

vonrehrmann

This "review" seems to concentrate more on the reviewer's ability to use words that that average American wouldn't understand. It would almost seem he's writing it to impress his "higher ups" in the social scene.

Obviously this reviewer has no idea who the target audience is for this book. When is the last time you used or even heard the words:
  • mythographers
    absorbable
    totalitarian kitsch
    metapleasures
    orotundity
    cacophonous
    opus
    avuncular
    dissonance
    totalitarianism

ummm I use and have heard used these words quite a bit...

Mufasa's Pride

Original Poster
Woman Dies After Disney World Ride - CBS News:

www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/04/13/national/main1495284.shtml

Boy, 4, dies after Disney World ride

www.theage.com.au/news/World/Boy-4-dies-after-Disney-World-ride/2005/06/15/1118645839675.html

Boy dies on roller coaster at Walt Disney World

www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-boy-dies-roller-coaster-walt-disney-world-/2006/06/29/1701470.htm

Deaths at Disneyland

www.anomalies-unlimited.com/Disney/DisDeaths.html

The media always jumps over Disney ride deaths, which happen at the same rate as other amusment parks across the world.

As sleepybear wisley put it, "As a member of the media, I know we're not all trying to kill the Disney image. Maybe just a few bad eggs are."

This thread should be titled "Another Troubling New Disney Bio Review." I'm not trying to stereotype the media!

JLW11Hi

• mythographers
    absorbable
    totalitarian kitsch
    metapleasures
    orotundity
    cacophonous
    opus
    avuncular
    dissonance
    totalitarianism

lol, some of them are pretty normal words... But, yeah, I would have to get a dictionary for something like "cacophonous". Not too many times I hear that word.

tink rules

Yeah...it's like the reviews for Mary Poppins... Mostly great, but the NY times didn't like it... not stuffy enough for them I guess....

Besides... the reviewer probably got tossed off of Mr. Toads as a child....

& Mr. Toads was better for it....

pacochran

I for one, never put my trust in reviews. There have been many bad reviews for movies an books, and I have thought they were the best I've seen. You really have to read or watch and decide yourself.

MickeyTigg

This review is awful. Not only is it nearly unreadable but it spends little time reviewing the book but rather being an editorial on Walt's life.

Isn't one of the first things they teach you in writing is to write at the level of your audience....who was this idiot writing for....Mensa?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom