Another ride review of Everst

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrashNet

InsideOtherPark said:
No... you can wear you id "onstage" that was changed in the past year.
Exactly...it was changed over the past year...now wearing your costume to go shopping...not so much.

I'm not worked up over your review, and you shouldn't censor yourself; if you look into the wording many of the negative reviews use, they all are written in a way where the person writing the review didn't like the ride before they even got on it, not after it was ridden.

peter11435

Thelazer said:
"I'm curious...many of these reviews that are "honest" are written very negatively, and by that I mean written in such a way that not only points out flaws, but does so in a sarcastic and unprofessional way. At this point in the previews, you obviously have to be working for Disney to have ridden it...why work there if everything is going to be picked apart and held to a standard that no attraction, no company, could ever uphold?"

Disney should be held to a higher standered and many people have forgotten that. Not only do I work there, I hold the company to a higher standered than most do. When I see things that are half done, I point them out. Just as it gets pointed out to me when I do work that is shoddy.

What would you rather have me say, "I went on it and it's okay" and leave it at that. Sure, but what would be the point? I posted a review of it. Many other folks will do the same, some good some bad. I see no reason why I should not tell it as I see it or censor my review just because I feel the ride isn't up to par.

As I've said before, there is a world outside of Disney. Don't get to worked up on my review of the ride. It's not like I'm the only one who gets to post one.
I think some people take "holding Disney to a higher standard" and turn it into "nothing they do is good enough." I agree Disney should be held to a higher standard and believe they far and above exceed the “standard” in most cases. However every ride has its flaws, even the classics. The fact is there are places on both Splash and Thunder Mountain where you can see structural beams and such. I know because I just rode both this morning and looked for them. I just find that some these days only look for the flaws and disguise that as "holding Disney to a higher standard" when in reality it is simply being nit-picky.

kal1484

I totally agree w/your review. However, I do have one thing about the que I TOTALLY hate....the bells...People sat there and kept ringing them. My ears hurt a lot!!

Montu

cac2889 said:
Exactly...it was changed over the past year...now wearing your costume to go shopping...not so much.

Actually, it's completely fair game AS LONG AS you take off your name tag.

Granted, that does not always happen though - and that's where the problem lies.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
WDWFantasmic said:
The overall "ride" part of EE seems good, but based on reviews here I don't think it's as good as Indy or ToT.

As has been said numerous times... Don't prejudge based on what other people say about it. Goodness knows I've disagreed with other peoples' opinions, good and bad, based on my own experience once I have it.

Unless you're reading reviews to determine if you will actually ride it or not [why anyone would do so boggles my mind], let your own ride decide!

Connor002

MontyMon said:
As has been said numerous times... Don't prejudge based on what other people say about it. Goodness knows I've disagreed with other peoples' opinions, good and bad, based on my own experience once I have it.

Unless you're reading reviews to determine if you will actually ride it or not [why anyone would do so boggles my mind], let your own ride decide!

Wow... I was just about to say something exactly like that. :lookaroun
It's almost Twilight Zone-y. :lookaroun

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Connor002 said:
Wow... I was just about to say something exactly like that. :lookaroun
It's almost Twilight Zone-y. :lookaroun

Maybe you're a son I never knew about and we're psychically connected... :lookaroun

Or, it could be that so many people are saying such things about rides they've never been on, it's just natural for someone who reads it to think that way?

CrashNet

Montu said:
Actually, it's completely fair game AS LONG AS you take off your name tag.

Granted, that does not always happen though - and that's where the problem lies.
Granted there really isn't much they can do to stop it, but I just can't imagine going somewhere outside of work in my costume. I'd feel weird. :lol:

Bobble

ISTCNavigator57 said:
Why can't we just assume the Yeti knows how to build a fire...he's gotta stay warm up on the top of Everest somehow. All of us would freeze to death if we lived there year-round. The same part of me that accepts that there is a thunderstorm outside during the Tower of Terror preshow when I have just come in from a very sunny Florida day allows me to accept this. If you want to nitpick that, then a lot of disney rides shouldn't have ANY indoor lighting. I don't think the chipmunks on splash mountain have electricity or fire, so it should be pitch-black within the tunnels. Likewise, you shouldn't be able to see anything inside big thunder mountain...it's deserted and set in the 1800s. There would be no electricity and any lanterns would have long ago burned out. Sometimes you have to sacrifice true realism for a quality ride experience.

Well Said!!!!:sohappy:

KaliSplash

I actually enjoyed the review.

but if your point is they didn't make it as scary as they could have, you are way off base. They didn't intend to make it too scary.

they did that with Alien Encounter and got tons of complaints.

this is disney, not a roller coaster thrill park.

ToTBellHop

They intended to make it fun and exciting, which it is. I think Alien Encounter was the wrong kind of scary...the Tower of Terror is definitely scary, but in the right way.

jaredliu

I doubt Everest will be a classic ride. It'll be good, but not incrediby great cause there's nothing revelutionary. The humongous size of the whole attraction really sets up the atmoshpere, but it kind of lacks for the "wow factor/show scenes" that usually marks WDW/DL.

Merlin

Account Suspended
ISTCNavigator57 said:
The same part of me that accepts that there is a thunderstorm outside during the Tower of Terror preshow when I have just come in from a very sunny Florida day allows me to accept this.

The key word here is "Florida". It's not out of the realm of possibility for a sudden thunderstorm to appear in the middle of a sunny FLORIDA day.

ISTCNavigator57 said:
If you want to nitpick that, then a lot of disney rides shouldn't have ANY indoor lighting. I don't think the chipmunks on splash mountain have electricity or fire, so it should be pitch-black within the tunnels.

Splash is a different type of adventure than EE. On Splash, the entire show, once you enter the mountain, is essentially a "cartoon world". Cartoons are known for defying physics and doing the impossible. It's part of the identify of that particular art form.

ISTCNavigator57 said:
Likewise, you shouldn't be able to see anything inside big thunder mountain...it's deserted and set in the 1800s. There would be no electricity and any lanterns would have long ago burned out.

The premise behind Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is that it's a long abandoned mine train that is suddenly brought to "life" by an unknown, mysterious, ghostly force. That's the storyline behind the attraction. That same mysterious force is that caused the trains to run again also caused the lanterns, etc to work again as well.

ISTCNavigator57 said:
Sometimes you have to sacrifice true realism for a quality ride experience.

But isn't this the very thing that we all criticize Six Flags and other non-Disney parks for doing? Why is it we make excuses for Disney when they do the same thing? I agree with the OP that Disney should be held to a higher standard. As Disney fans, if we accept sub-par entertainment and still rant and rave about it, just because we feel we're supposed to LOVE everything Disney produces, we become the very cause of Disney lowering it's standards.

CrashNet

Merlin said:
But isn't this the very thing that we all criticize Six Flags and other non-Disney parks for doing? Why is it we make excuses for Disney when they do the same thing? I agree with the OP that Disney should be held to a higher standard. As Disney fans, if we accept sub-par entertainment and still rant and rave about it, just because we feel we're supposed to LOVE everything Disney produces, we become the very cause of Disney lowering it's standards.

I think it all boils down to each person's definition of "Disney held to a higher standard." What some think is sub-par others find nit-picky. That will be a debate that goes on till the end of time. I just try not to read into something too deeply. I take it for the story and the atmosphere, but I avoid going into an attraction looking for every single detail and in every nook and crany.

Its like love and relationships: if you keep looking for something wrong with the person, your going to find it. Why not just sit back, relax, and enjoy. :)

yensidtlaw1969

Merlin said:
The key word here is "Florida". It's not out of the realm of possibility for a sudden thunderstorm to appear in the middle of a sunny FLORIDA day.
We're not in Florida when we get on Tower of Terror. We're in HOLLYWOOD. And since spontanious thunderstorms don't happen there . . .

Yensid "I-thought-these-places-were-supposed-to-take-you-AWAY-from-Florida-!" tlaw1969

Merlin

Account Suspended
cac2889 said:
Its like love and relationships: if you keep looking for something wrong with the person, your going to find it. Why not just sit back, relax, and enjoy. :)

I agree that having a positive attitude about things is important. But I think it's one thing to walk around WDW looking for every little flaw, and it's another thing to repeatedly ignore obvious flaws and excuse it away by saying, "Just sit back and enjoy it". Or, as someone said in a similar discussion on another thread, "You have to make your own magic." My view is that if it's reached a point where you have to "make your own magic", then what exactly are we paying Disney admission for?

Merlin

Account Suspended
yensidtlaw1969 said:
We're not in Florida when we get on Tower of Terror. We're in HOLLYWOOD. And since spontanious thunderstorms don't happen there . . .

Yensid "I-thought-these-places-were-supposed-to-take-you-AWAY-from-Florida-!" tlaw1969

So is the illusion ruined for you when you're at MGM and a REAL Florida thunderstorm takes place?

dxwwf3

Merlin said:
I agree that having a positive attitude about things is important. But I think it's one thing to walk around WDW looking for every little flaw, and it's another thing to repeatedly ignore obvious flaws and excuse it away by saying, "Just sit back and enjoy it". Or, as someone said in a similar discussion on another thread, "You have to make your own magic." My view is that if it's reached a point where you have to "make your own magic", then what exactly are we paying Disney admission for?

I totally agree here with every word.

ToTBellHop

Have you missed the magic that is clearly integral to the Everest storyline? The locals worship the yeti, we bad guests don't do the same, get screwed, and go for a wild ride through the Forbidden Mountain, never actually making it to Everest. It's all about magic and curses...hell, we are talking about a mystical animal (though some certainly argue he is real...and apparently either immortal or extremely inbred). I can believe this magic caused the bizarre episodes on Expedition: EVEREST as much as I can believe the trains on Big Thunder are haunted and the elevators in the Hollywood Tower Hotel are drawn into the Twilight Zone...I really don't see the point in criticizing any of this...would you prefer that the caves be realistically dark so that we have absolutely no show scenes, cuz you sure as hell aren't going to see the yeti outside sunbathing...that kinda goes against the "mysterious creature" thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom