Another ride review of Everst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Adventurer
Merlin said:
On the website, www.disneyeverest.com, one of the pages refers to a "face to face confrontation with the feared creature known as the Yeti". In addition, it's implied in every bit of marketing we've seen from Disney on this attraction, and even throughout the queue (which I have not experienced myself, but I trust those who wrote about it weren't lying).

True...and that's what you get. You come face to face with him.
Nowhere does it promise that you get to spend quality time with him...or even that you stop and look longingly at him. You get an encounter...period.

People that feel let down are basing their feelings on their own preconceived notions of the ride. Those that never expected a long sit-down with the yeti don't feel let down. It's all matter of expectations.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Merlin said:
On the website, www.disneyeverest.com, one of the pages refers to a "face to face confrontation with the feared creature known as the Yeti". In addition, it's implied in every bit of marketing we've seen from Disney on this attraction, and even throughout the queue (which I have not experienced myself, but I trust those who wrote about it weren't lying). In addition, many reviews are already indicating that people are feeling "let down" by the lack of Yeti encounters. Face it, you know as well as I do that people are going to expect more than what Disney is delivering as far as the Yeti is concerned. Disney has set the expectation, both explicitly as well as implicitly. You, and several others refuse to accept it.

Hang on, in the ride you do come face-to-face with the Yeti. When you ride it, you will find out for yourself that is the case. I am not sure what you arguing here.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Lee said:
True...and that's what you get. You come face to face with him.
Nowhere does it promise that you get to spend quality time with him...or even that you stop and look longingly at him. You get an encounter...period.

People that feel let down are basing their feelings on their own preconceived notions of the ride. Those that never expected a long sit-down with the yeti don't feel let down. It's all matter of expectations.

I totally agree with you that it's based on expectations. But come on now, you don't honestly think that Disney hasn't set these expectations in people's minds? Seriously. This is what I mean by "clouded judgment". I communicate for a living, and I work closely with marketing people all the time. I promise you that when people read a phrase like "face to face confrontation", most people will assume that means more than seeing a shadow on the wall and whizzing past him at 50 mph for a quick glimpse. Disney's marketing is legendary. It's studied by marketing professionals elsewhere. Trust me, they know exactly what expectation they are setting in people's minds. People are going to feel let down, as already evidenced by a number of reviews we've already read.

dxwwf3

Merlin said:
I promise you that when people read a phrase like "face to face confrontation", most people will assume that means more than seeing a shadow on the wall and whizzing past him at 50 mph for a quick glimpse. Disney's marketing is legendary.

I gotta agree here too.

Merlin

Account Suspended
wdwmagic said:
Hang on, in the ride you do come face-to-face with the Yeti. When you ride it, you will find out for yourself that is the case. I am not sure what you arguing here.

It was in response to this question from peter11435...

peter11435 said:
Where did Disney promise you a close up encounter with the Yeti? For that matter where did Disney (not fan sites) promise you anymore than what they delivered.

I define "face to face confrontation" as something more than a passing glimpse, and I suspect most people do as well.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Merlin said:
It was in response to this question from peter11435...

I define "face to face confrontation" as something more than a passing glimpse, and I suspect most people do as well.

It sounds to me like you are arguing here for the sake of it. I think you need to take a break from this thread.

CTXRover

Merlin said:

As you stated, Disney press releases clearly indicated a "face to face confrontation". When you ride it, there is no doubt that the ride delivers a face to face confrontation. I don't know how you could argue it doesn't. Nothing more or nothing less seemed to be directly implied, imo. In addition, there were countless interviews with Joe Rohde on podcasts and TV specials where he mentioned that you only get to see the Yeti for a brief moment that at least prepared me for the 5 or so seconds we get to see the Yeti. It fits with the whole idea and mystery of a "real-life" Yeti sighting (if there is such a thing ;) ), in which the ride delivers that quick but VERY up close encounter and certainly puts you "face to face" with the animal. Its your own opinion or visualization of what that phrase means that biases one's expectations.

To be honest with you, a majority of guests don't know what to expect, perhaps beyond the glimpses of Harold on the Matterhorn if they rode that, and the brief, yet spectacular Yeti encounter (imo) may or may not jive with them, but I think they'll get a kick out of it. He's very big. And when his arm comes swinging down at you, your natural reaction is to duck the first time (or so). Personally, I wouldn't mind a better glance myself, but I think it provides just enough for you to get a good look while keeping the mystery of the Yeti alive, if that makes any sense.

Thelazer

Original Poster
wdwmagic said:
It sounds to me like you are arguing here for the sake of it. I think you need to take a break from this thread.

I think it's time we just end this and close the thread. It's sadly gone way to off topic.

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom