Another New York Press Event Planned for Oct. 18

AEfx

Haha, I believe Ursula is going to be a person in very elaborate costume. First of all, the entire show is supposed to be new and different and extremely elaborate to begin with. If you looked at the original designs for Ursula (in the animation studios at MGM) you'll see that the design for her was to be a "diva past her prime" so there may be a strong chance that she either may be skinny with a beautiful VERY VERY VERY flowy gown, or she'll be a large woman with a powerful voice.

I DO know that Ursula will be a stronger villain character and she'll have more than 2 songs.

Some of that information jives with what I know, but again, there were strong rumors awhile back that Pat Caroll (the original voice actress) had been contacted regarding the production. I know there is a demo out there, but as this is a show that is quite a ways from production, and anything can (and will) happen. You'll find some websites that say animatronic, some that assume it will be a Broadway actress; I guess no one will know for sure until much further in development. It seems that in general the Disney sites assume animatronic, and the broadway fan sites assume they'll pick some ancient broadway star.

In either case, I'm much more excited about this one than any other Disney musical, so I'll be first in line to see. :)

AEfx

Legacy

Some of that information jives with what I know, but again, there were strong rumors awhile back that Pat Caroll (the original voice actress) had been contacted regarding the production. I know there is a demo out there, but as this is a show that is quite a ways from production, and anything can (and will) happen. You'll find some websites that say animatronic, some that assume it will be a Broadway actress; I guess no one will know for sure until much further in development. It seems that in general the Disney sites assume animatronic, and the broadway fan sites assume they'll pick some ancient broadway star.

In either case, I'm much more excited about this one than any other Disney musical, so I'll be first in line to see. :)

AEfx

From the browsing I had done about the show on both Disney and Broadway-sites, you are actually the first I have heard mention "animatronic". I remember Emily Skinner being the running for it, but that kinda became a "will-it-happen?" when she jumped ship from On The Record.

I really don't think an animatronic would work... as it would probably give the show too much of a schitzy, theme-park feel. Tarzan is suffering from that problem within many theater circles, so I don't think Disney will make the same mistake twice.

IcicleM

No no, haha, because in MGM Studios she's an animatronic as well. The thing is, if you're going to have an animatronic on stage, it should only be for a short time. That would have to be for a small character (like Flotsom and Jetsom, who would be puppets anyway) The reason why is because with any kind of animatronic, it takes away from the other actors on stage. Yes, Ursula is a big character, but there is absolutely no way no how that we are going to be able to see her emotion through an animatronic. If you've seen "Voyage of the Little Mermaid" really... Ursula is comical because her mouth goes up and down and her eyes glow... really not too much happenin' there, haha.

Here are the Demo Tracks:

1. Daughters of Triton
  2. Human Stuff
  3. Wasting Away (URSULA)
  4. Part of Your World
  5. Part of Your World (reprise)
  6. Under the Sea
  7. That World Above
  8. Sweet Child (URSULA)
  9. Her Voice
  10. Poor Unfortunate Souls (URSULA)
  11. Posituvity
  12. Beyond My Wildest Dreams
  13. Les Poissons
  14. If Only
  15. If Only (reprise)
  16. Poor Unfortunate Souls (reprise) (URSULA)
  17. Kiss the Girl
  18. All Good Things Must End
  19. Finale
As far as I know, those are Ursula's song. With the lyrics, each one contains a lot of emotion and anger or frustration or... basically something that has a lot of character. There's no way they'd be able to get character through an animatronic, sooo... though the idea may have been there in the beginning, it's gone now, because these songs are too much stage time for a robot. Even The Wonderful Wizard of Oz Animatronic in Wicked didn't get much stage time. It just had a temporary presense.

Chape19714

No no, haha, because in MGM Studios she's an animatronic as well. The thing is, if you're going to have an animatronic on stage, it should only be for a short time. That would have to be for a small character (like Flotsom and Jetsom, who would be puppets anyway) The reason why is because with any kind of animatronic, it takes away from the other actors on stage. Yes, Ursula is a big character, but there is absolutely no way no how that we are going to be able to see her emotion through an animatronic. If you've seen "Voyage of the Little Mermaid" really... Ursula is comical because her mouth goes up and down and her eyes glow... really not too much happenin' there, haha.

Here are the Demo Tracks:

1. Daughters of Triton
  2. Human Stuff
  3. Wasting Away (URSULA)
  4. Part of Your World
  5. Part of Your World (reprise)
  6. Under the Sea
  7. That World Above
  8. Sweet Child (URSULA)
  9. Her Voice
  10. Poor Unfortunate Souls (URSULA)
  11. Posituvity
  12. Beyond My Wildest Dreams
  13. Les Poissons
  14. If Only
  15. If Only (reprise)
  16. Poor Unfortunate Souls (reprise) (URSULA)
  17. Kiss the Girl
  18. All Good Things Must End
  19. Finale
As far as I know, those are Ursula's song. With the lyrics, each one contains a lot of emotion and anger or frustration or... basically something that has a lot of character. There's no way they'd be able to get character through an animatronic, sooo... though the idea may have been there in the beginning, it's gone now, because these songs are too much stage time for a robot. Even The Wonderful Wizard of Oz Animatronic in Wicked didn't get much stage time. It just had a temporary presense.
All Good Things is also done by Ursula as Venissa. It's the same voice, and a GREAT song!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom