Another death on M:S

strobe

TAC said:
But lets stop the WDW bus transportation because you are more likely to die on a WDW transportation bus than on Mission Space.

Let's stop the fireworks shows, because people might die.

Let's close all the showers in all the WDW resorts because guests might slip and fall and die while at WDW.

Let's close all the food consession stands because the guests might contract food poisoning and die.

So, if that's the case, then how many people have died during Disney Fireworks shows, or in the showers, or from eating the food?

Surely, MANY more than 8 million people have done each of those activities. So if your scientific evidence is correct, the number of deaths should correlate, right?

A woman died here people.... Can you take 5 seconds to feel bad for the family, instead of bickering over a ride?

Pre-existing health condition or not, the ride CONTRIBUTED to the death. Should it be shut down? No. But did it play a role in a tragic incident, yes.

I don't understand why we need all the drama.

carolina_yankee

tigsmom said:
The article stated that the woman was German, and Disney said she may have had pre-existing conditions (which I assume they said based on her comments and not just to spin the situation). Anyway, I don't remember how the ride warnings are posted. If she didn't speak English, would she have understood the warnings? Having German family myself, I know most do speak English, but I was just wondering . . .

eils

Would the German Woman Had a map which would be in german with all the safety warnings in German? just a thought :)
xxx

buzzbeebara

Here's my 2cents.
I have high blood pressure, which i take medication for. I am also overweight for my height. I know these facts about myself.
I went to WDW in Aug 2005, and rode Mission Space for the 1st time, knowing full well what the warnings were, and a vague notion of what I would experience on that ride. After i got off the ride, i did feel queasy and had to sit down for a few minutes to reorient myself.

I know full well that MS is an "assault on your senses" yet is done in the safest manner possible. I fully prepared myself and my wife that if anything were to happen to me, it was my responsiblity/decision and not the ride, WDW, Florida, or the US Govt "fault".

I rode MS only once because of the after effects, but I enjoyed myself and would do it again on my next trip (once per trip is enough for me).

Accidents happen everywhere, anytime, to anybody, all the time. It only gets publicity when it happens at WDW.

WDWFREAK53

wannab@dis said:
A girl came off ToT last year feeling sick and ended up in really bad shape. A lady died on a MK attraction in the last year or so (fairly sure it was PotC). Now, how many people feel sick after those two? We don't know. But I bet there's more than you think! Should those rides be shut down?

I understand your point, but I'm afraid that it would only be a starting point for a slippery slope. People die everyday in traffic accidents. Should Ford have to stop making cars? I know that seems far-fetched, but it uses very similar logic. Even better, air bags have saved many more lives than the number that have been hurt. Should the manufacturers be forced to stop production? They haven't been. They added warnings and have used measures to inform. That's what all the warning signs, videos and audio loops do.

Disney should NOT be held responsible for the mistakes (intentional or not) of everyone.

Nope, Ford shouldn't stop making cars...but, if their car continues to roll-over...or blow tires...maybe something needs to be done...and things are done. As far as accidents are concerned...if an accident keeps occuring in the same spot, things get done to try and stop the accidents from happening. Yes, this is new...and did I say that it needs to be closed down or they need to stop making the rides? No, I said they need to fix whatever they can in order to stop the same thing from reoccuring. You'll never be able to prevent every accident...but if the same accident keeps happening, proper safety measures need to be taken. Instead of Disney looking into the measures and taking an action to stop the motion-sickness/chest pains...they just simply added a barf-bag to protect the cabs, and the people's clothing. I do feel that they are the leaders in safety when it comes to theme park attractions, but, I do believe that they've dropped the ball a little here. Yes, the other attractions you have mentioned probably do have the same issues, but, on a high profile attraction that has the same problems happening over and over again, just to cover Disney's hind-parts...they should be especially concerned about Mission:Space.

eils

I just feel Sorry for the family.to lose a family member like that is horrible.my thoughts are with the family.

SpongeScott

strobe said:
So, if that's the case, then how many people have died during Disney Fireworks shows, or in the showers, or from eating the food?

Surely, MANY more than 8 million people have done each of those activities. So if your scientific evidence is correct, the number of deaths should correlate, right?

A woman died here people.... Can you take 5 seconds to feel bad for the family, instead of bickering over a ride?

Pre-existing health condition or not, the ride CONTRIBUTED to the death. Should it be shut down? No. But did it play a role in a tragic incident, yes.

I don't understand why we need all the drama.
Knowing Tom, I'm sure he has dealt with this issue in his own way.

EpcotServo

I'm very concerned Disney will close this ride. Because now the public is too turned off of it. Have you seen the lines for M:S? Even when Test Track, a much older ride, has an 80 Min. line, M:S s a walk on. The other night, they were only able to fill 4 pods in my bay. Only 16 people were on the ride! I see more then 2 people leave before every ride. Most time more! There are always more people waiting outside then riding. Now after this, it will be worse. I don't know what Disney will do, but they'll do something. We just have to watch.

Austin1

something may be done,yes, but I really don't think they can offord to close it for more than a week. Especally at this time of year. MS is one of the 3 most popular attraction at epcot and it will have an affect on park attendance if it's closed.

tigsmom

EpcotServo said:
I'm very concerned Disney will close this ride. Because now the public is too turned off of it. Have you seen the lines for M:S? Even when Test Track, a much older ride, has an 80 Min. line, M:S s a walk on. The other night, they were only able to fill 4 pods in my bay. Only 16 people were on the ride! I see more then 2 people leave before every ride. Most time more! There are always more people waiting outside then riding. Now after this, it will be worse. I don't know what Disney will do, but they'll do something. We just have to watch.

Not every ride is for every person. Part of my family has tried it out and others have not. Some love it and others will never ride it again. It was an interesting idea, but maybe the way things turned out are not. Its possible a re working of the ride would change people's perception and increase ridership, but maybe not.

Not every gamble is a hit. Maybe its time to end M:S the ride and replace it with something else. *shrugs*

Not my decision to make and I'm very happy with that fact. :wave:

WDWFREAK53

TAC said:
Re: any other park, even if it was a non-Disney park

If the ride (any non-Disney ride) met the safety requirements of that peticular state, was properly inspected, and nothing was found to be wrong, then I would still have the same opinion.

Just to be clear, I am in no way saying that the woman was "asking for it," or that it was her fault, or even that it was Disney's fault. What I am saying is that if the ride (Mission: Space) was and is operating within specification, there is no reason to alter it's performance just because "some people do not like it because it makes them sick."

Has Cedar Point lowered the height of their 400+ foot roller coaster because someone with a heart condition might have a heart attack if he/she is sitting in the front row and sees the first drop ?

Maybe Disney can possabily alter it's preshow somewhat to "tell you what you are in for," or even something along the lines of "What Mission:Space is all about."

No, but they don't have any significant proof that any deaths have related to the attraction either. I'm not saying that the attraction killed this person...but, at the same time...would this person have died this way had she not gone on the attraction? Nobody can say for sure...but I say "Probably not."

This is a tragic accident...and I used the word accident because it truly was an accident. A person's life was cut short tragically and that's the main subject here. It really doesn't matter if she had a heart condition or the ride malfunctioned (which I'm sure it didn't), what does matter is that there is a family out there that came back from vacation a loved-one short.

kcnole

I'm not sure what the correct answer is. I love Disney, but I'm not just going to defend them because they're Disney. These are the thoughts in my head right now.

1.) Before any informed opinions can be made we need to know whether the woman had any known pre-existing conditions and ignored the warnings.

2.) I've never ridden Mission Space. Frankly, the idea behind the ride scares me too much for me or my wife to ride it. I get horrible horrible motion sickness even on Star Tours. The hundred warnings were enough to scare me off of it even with Test Track being closed that day (which meant that the only real ride open in the park was Soarin and Maelstrom).

I say that to say that my opinions on this ride are probably biased. It's a ride I wish had not been built (mainly because it's an E Ticket that lots of park guests can't ride.) That said, I'm not sure the answer would be not to build it though, because there's also a lot of people who can't ride other rides that I like.

3.) Disney really does need to examine this ride closely and see what percentage of it's guests that it is making severely sick after riding it. One death was an anomaly, two deaths is concerning, if a third comes shortly then that's a trend. Can Disney afford to have this trend on their resume?

wannab@dis

WDWFREAK53 said:
Nope, Ford shouldn't stop making cars...but, if their car continues to roll-over...or blow tires...maybe something needs to be done...and things are done. As far as accidents are concerned...if an accident keeps occuring in the same spot, things get done to try and stop the accidents from happening.
In those instances, there's a verifiable issue with the car. Not including this latest incident, there's not been a "healthy" person die. So, we have to assume that the attraction doesn't have "manufacturing/design problems" similar to the tire issues that happened a few years back.

WDWFREAK53 said:
Yes, this is new...and did I say that it needs to be closed down or they need to stop making the rides? No, I said they need to fix whatever they can in order to stop the same thing from reoccuring.
How can you fix something that is really not broken. So far, it wasn't the ride that was 'broken'. (I don't mean that insensitive, either.)

WDWFREAK53 said:
You'll never be able to prevent every accident...but if the same accident keeps happening, proper safety measures need to be taken. Instead of Disney looking into the measures and taking an action to stop the motion-sickness/chest pains...they just simply added a barf-bag to protect the cabs, and the people's clothing.
You CAN'T stop someone from having motion sickness if that's a normal reaction for them. The same person that has motion sickness on M:S would probably have it on the Tea Cups. It's part of the attraction's physics and people should look at the signs and make better decisions. My father-in-law has inner ear problems. I told him that he probably shouldn't ride. He did anyway. Got nauseated and didn't feel good for several hours. You know what his reaction was... 'Next time I'll follow the directions better.' He took personal responsibility for a personal choice.

WDWFREAK53 said:
I do feel that they are the leaders in safety when it comes to theme park attractions, but, I do believe that they've dropped the ball a little here. Yes, the other attractions you have mentioned probably do have the same issues, but, on a high profile attraction that has the same problems happening over and over again, just to cover Disney's hind-parts...they should be especially concerned about Mission:Space.
Over and over? Two people have died and 143 sought assistence out of 9 MILLION. How many of the 143 had conditions that were printed on the warning signs?

Ultimately, Disney will have to make one major decision... What's more important? M:S being open or the possibility of more negative press. No matter the facts, the media will NEVER print the story with "personal responsibility" as a major part. They will only make a headline... "person dies on ride."

blackerbys17

Well, all I can say is that I rode M:S one time and got soooo sick with labrynthitis (basically, I was dizzy all the time) that I was on steroids to recover (that is what they give you, go figure) for over a month. I did so much research before I rode it, I really was informed and I knew what to expect, or so I thought.

Well, needless to say, I did not enjoy the ride at all and I will never ride it again. In my opinion, it's too intense, but it is just that, an opinion. I agree that as long as the ride is operating within its specs, then Disney should be allowed to operate the ride.

However, I feel that Disney does have a moral obligation to think twice about this ride, and perhaphs consider taking it down a notch? I mean, they don't have to close the ride, can't they just make it less intense? Personally, I can tell you I LOVE thrill rides and will ride everything at the Disney Parks, both Universal Parks, Sea World, and Busch Gardens, but I WON'T ride M:S.

MiamiSpartan

I'm not a fan of the ride, either. I almost passed out, and my partner thought he was having a heart attack on it. $1000 in tests later told him that he did not....

HMGhost13

WDWFREAK53 said:
As far as accidents are concerned...if an accident keeps occuring in the same spot, things get done to try and stop the accidents from happening. You'll never be able to prevent every accident...but if the same accident keeps happening, proper safety measures need to be taken.

As i walked to school everyday for four years, i was almost hit numerous times by cars, both speeders and parents coming out of the high school DIRECTLY in front of me. in those 4 years at least 3 students were hit. countless others did not use the crosswalk like I did. Measures were taken and the ROTC and other officers were placed at the crosswalk....further down the road at the bus parking lot. the near misses continued despite notifying people. accidents happened at my school and no action was taken where i crossed at all. none.

Shaman

WDWFREAK53 said:
I love the attraction and the Disney company...but...there comes a time when you have to take a step back and realize that you DO have some responsibility. You posted those stats about deaths from Mission:Space, and how you are more likely to die by getting struck by lightning rather than Mission:Space...but look at it from a broader perspective. How many people have suffered from chest pains or illness from the attraction? Does this same stat apply to the WDW Transportation system? Do as many people get chest pains and suffer from ill feelings after they get off of the Transportation system? Sure, the extremes apply, but if people are getting chest pains, just because they didn't die doesn't mean that it didn't affect their heart!

C'mon people, I know that you guys love Disney and everything, but if this were to happen at a 6 Flags park, you know you'd be singing a different tune.

Like I said, I'm Pro-Disney and even Pro-Mission:Space...but there is a point when you need to reconsider things.

I agree. I love M:S, and while I have never had any health problems after riding, it seems M:S is having harmful effects on a percentage of people experiencing the attraction. Disney is known for great, unique, safe rides...and I'm sure before they opened M:S they went ahead with the necessary tests, to ensure the public's safety when they experienced M:S. Something however isn't right...perhaps the format of the attraction just doesn't work, there are too many variables (people closing their eyes, moving there head), not enough control of the possible factors that contribute to the various effects.

Disney has a moral obligation to investigate these injuries and deaths...and sadly, more importantly, have an obligation to their share holders to ensure that the business remains profitable and more importantly that bad press doesn't affect their pockets...

A small percentage of people getting sick and/or dying is bad news for Disney....they avoid it like poison. Whether the woman was ill before she went on the ride is not important to Disney...because in the end, M:S has once again been linked to a death.

All that being said, the media is always quick to link deaths with Disney attractions; they enjoy twisting words to have their headlines and grasp the reader's attention.

In the end, we don't know all the details....what is known for sure is that a person died...and though death is a natural occurence; the last place you expect to face it is while on vacation. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

SpongeScott

Shaman said:
I agree. I love M:S, and while I have never had any health problems after riding, it seems M:S is having harmful effects on a percentage of people experiencing the attraction. Disney is known for great, unique, safe rides...and I'm sure before they opened M:S they went ahead with the necessary tests, to ensure the public's safety when they experienced M:S. Something however isn't right...perhaps the format of the attraction just doesn't work, there are too many variables (people closing their eyes, moving there head), not enough control of the possible factors that contribute to the various effects.

Disney has a moral obligation to investigate these injuries and deaths...and sadly, more importantly, have an obligation to their share holders to ensure that the business remains profitable and more importantly that bad press doesn't affect their pockets...

A small percentage of people getting sick and/or dying is bad news for Disney....they avoid it like poison. Whether the woman was ill before she went on the ride is not important to Disney...because in the end, M:S has once again been linked to a death.

All that being said, the media is always quick to link deaths with Disney attractions; they enjoy twisting words to have their headlines and grasp the reader's attention.

In the end, we don't know all the details....what is known for sure is that a person died...and though death is a natural occurence; the last place you expect to face it is while on vacation. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.
Good post, Oz.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom