Another CM arrested

hcswingfield

I certainly hope the government is working to stop the source of these kinds of photos as hard as they are working at arresting people who have them on their computers.

comics101

http://www.local6.com/news/14174123/detail.html

I know this is really out of Disney's hands, since background checks don't foreshadow, and that with the number of people they employ, there's bound to be a few bad apples, but this really feels like it's beginning to become all too common :(

This is becoming WAAAAAAAAY Too common, not just among Disney CM's, but in all of the US. I hope they lock this guy up and throw away the key! Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what does foreshadow mean? Is Disney allowed to make background checks? I'm not sure if there's some looney law that says they can't or not...

scpergj

I certainly hope the government is working to stop the source of these kinds of photos as hard as they are working at arresting people who have them on their computers.

Unfortunatly, many of the web sites that host this type of garbage are not in a place that law enforcement can get to. While some of the pictures may be made by people here in the US (I won't get into details, but I sure wouldn't use my digital camera to take pictures that are illegal. Aside from the evil of this, it's possible to trace images back to the originating camera), the servers hosting this trash mostly reside in eastern Europe (many in Russia) as well as North Korea, Indonesia, and China. Sometimes the only way to stop it is to catch those possessing it - they are, after all, the ones most likely to hurt our children.

These countries are the same that originate most of the spam, virus', and trojans that constantly infect computers. Additionally, both North Korea and China have military units that do nothing but attempt to hack into American servers and write malware.

Getting off of my soapbox - but it's an easy one to get me back on. I deal with network security on a daily basis...and it's amazing the stupid things people do at work.

Kevin

bigtotoro

This is becoming WAAAAAAAAY Too common, not just among Disney CM's, but in all of the US. I hope they lock this guy up and throw away the key! Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what does foreshadow mean? Is Disney allowed to make background checks? I'm not sure if there's some looney law that says they can't or not...

Foreshadow

verb
  1. To give an indication of something in advance: adumbrate, augur, bode, forecast, forerun, foretell, foretoken, portend, prefigure, presage, prognosticate. See foresight, show/hide.
  1. Yes, Disney, as well as most all employers in the United States, require a background check. The check credit, employment, and criminal history. I would assume they require a drug test. Other than that, and maybe a predictive index psych test (which are absolutely useless when used on anyone with half a brain), they really cannot do anything outside of the interview process.

sbkline

I used to play on the internet all the time at work, chatting on this messageboard as well as another one, and doing general surfing. I would never visit sites or anything like that, but I somehow managed to infect my computer with viruses and spyware. I started getting popup messages and popup warnings, one of which would say something to the effect that all my sites could be viewable by anyone who tracks internet usage. But I had never looked at any sites, but somehow, according to this popup message, there must have been some kind of files on my computer. Is it possible for files to get into your computer without your knowledge via spyware or viruses or something?

I'm just curious if there is any way for this to happen and therefore, any way to give people like this the benefit of the doubt due to the possibility that they could have files on their computers the same way I seem to have? I'm genuinely curious because I really don't know much about this kind of thing. I just know what those little popup messages would tell me on my workplace computer.

Brian_WDW74

(I won't get into details, but I sure wouldn't use my digital camera to take pictures that are illegal. Aside from the evil of this, it's possible to trace images back to the originating camera)

I'll say! The first time I uploaded pictures to my Flickr account (all legal, btw :) ) I was shocked to see that it told me not only the date and time my pictures were taken, but also the make and model of camera I used, the ISO speed, shutter speed, even whether I used the flash! I'd hate to see what other information is encoded for you security types. :eek:

pheneix

So... any of the resident Disney message board readers that have been here for a while remember DLMAGICDARREN?

Its a small world after all guys. I'm ashamed to say I worked with him at DAK.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
ugh.. this isn't the first CM I personally know that this has happened to. Unfortunately, this is the way I learned about it both times.

Ugh

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Ugh..

I remember him.

Anywho, i don't think it's a sudden increase in illegal activity - just rather media and police activity toward the subject. I would says it's kinda like how i haven't heard any news reports of killer escalators lately.

scpergj

I used to play on the internet all the time at work, chatting on this messageboard as well as another one, and doing general surfing. I would never visit sites or anything like that, but I somehow managed to infect my computer with viruses and spyware. I started getting popup messages and popup warnings, one of which would say something to the effect that all my sites could be viewable by anyone who tracks internet usage. But I had never looked at any sites, but somehow, according to this popup message, there must have been some kind of files on my computer. Is it possible for files to get into your computer without your knowledge via spyware or viruses or something?

I'm just curious if there is any way for this to happen and therefore, any way to give people like this the benefit of the doubt due to the possibility that they could have files on their computers the same way I seem to have? I'm genuinely curious because I really don't know much about this kind of thing. I just know what those little popup messages would tell me on my workplace computer.

While technically it is possible, it is not probable.

Most malware (including virus') are really small files - just a few bytes (usually). My bet is that these were not well hidden files - probably put in a directory called Pictures, or Kids, or Fun - something like that. Again, I know...I've "fixed" a few broken machines, and that is most always where the male (in my experience...I'm sure there are women that do it too) hides his...adult images. I've never personally seen anything illegal - just against company policy!

That said, it is extremely easy to get a virus, even without visiting any illicit or adult type web sites. I actually know of some cases where the local newspaper's web site was hacked and several hundred computers were infected.

Kevin

Brian_WDW74

View Profile: DLMAGICDARREN

Date of Birth:
August 21, 1963
Favorite Park:
it's a toss up between Epcot/Magic Kingdom/Disney MGM Studios and Animal Kingdom
Favorite Attraction:
Splash Mountain
Favorite Resort:
Polynesian
Last Visit to WDW:
last night
Interests:
Disney
Biography:
Origianally from Calif, now in Florida
IT
Next Visit to WDW (Arriving):
about 1 hour

This actually made me physically ill when I found it. :(

It just makes me mad how the media LOVES to report this on Disney. As may peolpe as they hire, it would be hard not to get a psycho every once in a while. Ever eaten at a McDonalds? Ha Ha

sbkline

While technically it is possible, it is not probable.

Most malware (including virus') are really small files - just a few bytes (usually). My bet is that these were not well hidden files - probably put in a directory called Pictures, or Kids, or Fun - something like that. Again, I know...I've "fixed" a few broken machines, and that is most always where the male (in my experience...I'm sure there are women that do it too) hides his...adult images. I've never personally seen anything illegal - just against company policy!

That said, it is extremely easy to get a virus, even without visiting any illicit or adult type web sites. I actually know of some cases where the local newspaper's web site was hacked and several hundred computers were infected.

Kevin

So whatever it was that I had that caused the popups to warn be about my history of visited adult sites(even though I had visited none)...are those pretty easy to distinguish from willfull files?

scpergj

So whatever it was that I had that caused the popups to warn be about my history of visited adult sites(even though I had visited none)...are those pretty easy to distinguish from willfull files?

Absolutely. That's actually a scam - and it's just a javascript popup on Internet Explorer (and one of the reasons that I mostly use Opera and Firefox). I actually had a retired navy Captain come get me in my office earlier this week with that popup. I ran some scans, did a spyware cleanup, and DID NOT CLICK ON THE POP UP...AT ALL. I killed it from Task Manager. I can tell you that this computer was completely clean - no illicit files at all. Most likely you had the same sort of thing.

Kevin

comics101

It just makes me mad how the media LOVES to report this on Disney. As may peolpe as they hire, it would be hard not to get a psycho every once in a while. Ever eaten at a McDonalds? Ha Ha

If you ever watch the FOXNews channel, they report on it all the time, and I don't think they've ever onced mentioned Disney. It amazed me how often this happens! It's especially shocking how looney the judge's sentences are! I can't believe how stupid some people really are. I just don't get it...

Thanks for the definition Big Tortoro, and the background search thing.

sbkline

Absolutely. That's actually a scam - and it's just a javascript popup on Internet Explorer (and one of the reasons that I mostly use Opera and Firefox). I actually had a retired navy Captain come get me in my office earlier this week with that popup. I ran some scans, did a spyware cleanup, and DID NOT CLICK ON THE POP UP...AT ALL. I killed it from Task Manager. I can tell you that this computer was completely clean - no illicit files at all. Most likely you had the same sort of thing.

Kevin

I see. Thank you. :wave:

EPCOTCenterLover

Re: Post #9
Even though I am fairly new as a poster, I have been reading these boards for years.
Yes, I remember this guy.
Unfortunately, the coincidence was bound to happen sometime.
Don't be too hard on yourself.

Mr Bill

Original Poster
View Profile: DLMAGICDARREN

Date of Birth:
August 21, 1963
Favorite Park:
it's a toss up between Epcot/Magic Kingdom/Disney MGM Studios and Animal Kingdom
Favorite Attraction:
Splash Mountain
Favorite Resort:
Polynesian
Last Visit to WDW:
last night
Interests:
Disney
Biography:
Origianally from Calif, now in Florida
IT
Next Visit to WDW (Arriving):
about 1 hour

This actually made me physically ill when I found it. :(
...wow...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom