Another Acquisition--Google style

rct247

:confused: I've never heard of them or any of their content. As crazy as the cost has been, Marvel and Star Wars really were pretty good acquisitions. Partnering with Avatar, I'm still trying to figure out, but this one confuses me. Where is this money coming from and why is it not being invested in the physical properties that need it?

BigTxEars

380 millions subscribers to this set of channels they bought is what they said on the radio today. 380 million, thats the population os the U.S. basically. Not a bad pick up for Disney, reaching 380 people across the globe can't be bad for business.

Sped2424

Stupid stupid stupid stupid SO STUPID. Who said to anyone running the show that this purchase was a good thing? A power house media company like Disney didn't need to buy out any youtube studio, they literally would just need to hire a small team to generate the same kind of content. Such a waste of 500 million or as the article states possibly 950 million. Has anyone seen the content this channel creates? Between pew de pie's play thorughs (which literally anyone with a camera can do and if youtube is indication they all have), the passable epic rap battles, and whatever other content I can't believe Disney paid anything over 100 million for the lot of em. Again stupid decision, youtube is all about user generated content they could literally just scout for the next rising youtube starlets give em all contracts and create their own studio FOR MUCH MUCH cheaper. This kind of spending just rubs me so wrong. But I guess iger sees it easier to just buy out the studio. Might I add if following youtube since it's inception has taught me anything it's that longevity on there isn't a very common thing. Youtube stars tend to fade quite quickly.

Fairybuzz

Interesting news. Hopefully this doesn't turn into Disney Channel's version of a horrible TV spinoff of a web series like The Annoying Orange did on Cartoon Network and Fred did on Nickelodeon.
NOOO NOT THEM ANYTHING BUT THEM!!!

I may just be out of the loop but, I'm not sure exactly what maker studios was until now. It seems a bit Frivolous if you ask me. Like Sped2424 said, it seems they could handle this on their own without buying property. I thought they had like a whole load of youtube channels as it was? Guess they're buying it for name recognition? To me the youtube celeb thing seems like a fad. Eventually there will be so many youtube sensations they become as common as people you meet on the street. I could probably post a video of myself pinching my nose and going FLAWWRRRPPP! for 12 minutes while standing on a table and get at least 20000 hits. (not to mention a string of Duhhh shes hot/ugly duhhhh comments)

l4dybu6

What's the point of Disney buying them...?
PewDiePie's channel and Epic Rap Battles aren't exactly kid-friendly (nor are they exceptionally good)
Guess we'll just have to see how this pans out.

spectromagic04

I personally think this is a great acquisition! The ceo Shay Carl (Shaytards) are very kid friendly channel and they are complete Disney freaks! Buying malers studio is great because these YouTube channels gets millions of views a day which means a ton of money being made.

spectromagic04

Here is a video of the YouTube channel/ Ceo of Makers Studios! I think they fit perfectly in the Disnet brand unlike Pewdie Pie, but I also wish like many of you said that would start investing more into the parks!!

Allie_Marie

I think that Disney buying Maker is a great idea. They are trying to reach out to more and more people of all age ranges. YouTube is slowly taking over television, more and more teenagers/young adults are watching YouTube videos so it is a good investment.
Like stated above, not all channels partnered with Maker Studios are not kid appropriate. But the ShayTards (CEO of Maker [ShayCarl]) are the perfect family to represent Disney!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom