Annual State of Disneyland, U.S.A. - A Trip Report by TROR

Phroobar

Death Vader being dead doesn't keep.....

Death Vader? Gosh I hope that is a typo.

tumblr_ozma6eEJ9l1v9ur44o1_250.gif

TrainsOfDisney

I see your point, but I’ll gladly take the two rides of Avatar or Star Wars over the three rides of Cars Land.

??? I just walk by dancing cars or junkyard and smile.... cause those rides are just fun! And the racers is such a better ride than avatar or Smuggler’s run in my opinion. Definitely best rides Disney has built recently. Probably since Everest.

Monorail_Orange

I see your point, but I’ll gladly take the two rides of Avatar or Star Wars over the three rides of Cars Land.
Jury's still out on SWL until we see ROTR, but on Avatar, I heartily disagree. FOP is well done, but it's just simulator. RSR is amazing, and it's all sets, AAs, and true movement. Even if you call it a tie between those two, both Mater's and Luigi's blows that pointless boat ride out of the water. Sure, it's pretty, and the shaman AA is neat, but there's nothing else to it. At least Mater and Luigi can be ridden over and over, and even provide fun kinetics to the land. Pandora's pretty and that's about it. Cars Land makes me feel like I've just stepped into the Radiator Springs of the movie, albeit with a whole bunch of other humans around.

shortstop

??? I just walk by dancing cars or junkyard and smile.... cause those rides are just fun! And the racers is such a better ride than avatar or Smuggler’s run in my opinion. Definitely best rides Disney has built recently. Probably since Everest.
Jury's still out on SWL until we see ROTR, but on Avatar, I heartily disagree. FOP is well done, but it's just simulator. RSR is amazing, and it's all sets, AAs, and true movement. Even if you call it a tie between those two, both Mater's and Luigi's blows that pointless boat ride out of the water. Sure, it's pretty, and the shaman AA is neat, but there's nothing else to it. At least Mater and Luigi can be ridden over and over, and even provide fun kinetics to the land. Pandora's pretty and that's about it. Cars Land makes me feel like I've just stepped into the Radiator Springs of the movie, albeit with a whole bunch of other humans around.
Agree to disagree I suppose. I’ll take FOP (more than just another simulator) over RSR by a hair. Even if NRJ is short, I’ll take it over Luigi’s and Mater’s in a heartbeat.

George Lucas on a Bench

Agree to disagree I suppose. I’ll take FOP (more than just another simulator) over RSR by a hair. Even if NRJ is short, I’ll take it over Luigi’s and Mater’s in a heartbeat.

The Avatar boat ride is awesome. I really don't understand criticism of this one. We were lucky to get such a weird thing. Nothing like it in even the HP worlds, which also need some sort of awkward slow-moving dark ride.

TrainsOfDisney

The Avatar boat ride is awesome. I really don't understand criticism of this one. We were lucky to get such a weird thing. Nothing like it in even the HP worlds, which also need some sort of awkward slow-moving dark ride.

Totally agree. It feels the most Disney of all the recent attractions. I like having well themed simple attractions like Luigi’s and Maters in a land as well. I rarely ride them but the energy and music they produce is just fun.

So clearly we need spinners in avatar land... wait... that’s not what I was trying to say... ha.

George Lucas on a Bench

This is one of those times where I really don't understand the fanbase and get accused of being overly positive/"trolling" as with Guardians of the Galaxy or Rocket Rods, which I still think are awesome.

I like slow moving dark rides. Is Avatar the best of that sort? No, of course not. But it's still cool and goes against the current Disney norm, which is reskinning existing stuff or just slapping a lame spinning ride in there for "Look at me" vloggers to record themselves riding. Disney doesn't do that for once and delivers a neat original ride with a charm all its own and it's just endless complaints. It's too short, one robot, screens, etc.

Gah! I thought it was cool.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I agree, not all rides have to be heart-pumping, exhilarating or adrenaline inducing experiences, IMO.
Is Naavi River Journey a liiiitle weird? Yeah! but I find it relaxing, different and interesting.

TROR

Original Poster
This is one of those times where I really don't understand the fanbase and get accused of being overly positive/"trolling" as with Guardians of the Galaxy or Rocket Rods, which I still think are awesome.

I like slow moving dark rides. Is Avatar the best of that sort? No, of course not. But it's still cool and goes against the current Disney norm, which is reskinning existing stuff or just slapping a lame spinning ride in there for "Look at me" vloggers to record themselves riding. Disney doesn't do that for once and delivers a neat original ride with a charm all its own and it's just endless complaints. It's too short, one robot, screens, etc.

If they added a few motionless statues of alien animals I would love it.

George Lucas on a Bench

In my mind, I just imagine a meeting of Disney higher-ups where they delicately suggest cutting the boat ride out of the land without mentioning money or budget and James Cameron objecting.

"This boat ride is the heart and soul of Pandora. It's the key to everything. We must have it."

mickEblu

I think the issue is more what it could have been more than what it is. Most people will hear “Avatar boat ride” and think they re in for an Avatar version of POTC. While the ride sounds like a nice D ticket it really could and should have been something more. With that said it’s obviously better than Pixar Pier instagrammable spinners with nice signs. But that’s apples n oranges

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

Pixar Pier, Toy Story Land, Cars Land etc. spinstagram rides.

How does Galaxy Edge not have an ugly spinning ride?

At least a spinner ride would add some motion and life to the area.

I think spinners are good for a park. I like the ones in cars land, I like dumbo, Astro, even magic carpets in Florida. What I don’t like are cheap cheap cheap spinners like the new critter carousel... that thing is the worst thing I’ve seen Disney do other than a possible tie with Dino-land. The emotional whirlwind isn’t much better but that carousel is not even city mall quality.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I hate your new avatar. seeing a star wars sign in the mansion queue makes me want to vomit

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom