News Annual Passholder dining discount drops to 10% for 2018

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I had been thinking about getting the TiW card in the past, but with the 20% for AP's I didn't see the value. I think I may have to toy the idea again.

Eh, unless you spend almost $900 annually on dining as a resident, or nearly $800 as a passholder/DVC owner you don't break even anymore.

disneygeek90

Eh, unless you spend almost $900 annually on dining as a resident, or nearly $800 as a passholder/DVC owner you don't break even anymore.
As high as that sounds, I don't think it's even that difficult to achieve. Add in a few table service meals with the family and you're well on your way. But that's also what has made me think it over so many times, still not 100% convinced.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I know this will not be a popular opinion, but folks really need to get over the idea that an Annual Pass is a ‘discount card’. It is a different form of admission media that offers admission to the parks, based on the level you choose. If you keep thinking about it as some sort of discount card, you will be perpetually disappointed.

As an AP holder myself (since circa 1988), let me start by saying I agree for the most part. I usually forget to even ask if there is an AP discount when I make a purchase. But in fairness, Disney does pitch the AP with the temptation of getting discounts on pretty much anything associated with a Disney trip. The below quote is copied directly from Disneys website:

"Enjoy a year of magic as a Walt Disney World Passholder and get discounts on dining, merchandise, recreation and tours —plus valuable offers for stays at Disney ... "

10% is completely fine with me and when they offer 20%, I will gladly take it. My only complaint is the rising food prices and then they serve smaller portions.

MySmallWorldof4

Am I wrong, but didn’t the AP cover the passholder and up to 6 guests? Now I see it is for 3 guests. I have to see if there are dining discount changes to the Disney Visa. That would at least cover our large family.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
10% is completely fine with me and when they offer 20%, I will gladly take it. My only complaint is the rising food prices and then they serve smaller portions.
If they raise the price by 5% and cut the portion size by 10%, how much is your actual discount?

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
As high as that sounds, I don't think it's even that difficult to achieve. Add in a few table service meals with the family and you're well on your way. But that's also what has made me think it over so many times, still not 100% convinced.

Spending $900 on dining is not hard at all especially when you have kids above 9. I can't remember the last time we got out of a Disney TS restaurant for under $100.

Oh, don't take that the wrong way. I don't think that it's difficult to exceed those costs at all, and as long as you think you will, TiW could be valuable. I fall a little short myself, so I just use my AP and Disney VISA discounts wherever they apply.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They continue to try to increase prices to pump up their sagging profits while failing to realize they are overpricing their product and driving away clientele by the day...forcing discounts each year.

And so the wheel spins

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
20% paid for the tip.

10% off food only is pretty much meaningless.

At current prices, park and resort Table Service restaurants only reach a reasonable price level at about 40% discount.

Better options are at Disney Springs or offsite.

It is no surprise that many are running below capacity and need to take part in Magical Dining month and Open Table.

Agree completely...this is the "looking behind the curtain" take.

Can't wait to see what a recession is gonna look like...it's been a LONG Time and "my contract is expiring" Bob has really put them behind the 8 ball when it inevitably comes.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Another issue I do not appreciate is how they remove certain room availability depending on how many days you request n the Disney website. A good example is that I just now searched for 7 days in February and it yielded results ranging from All Star to a few mods and several Deluxe ( 11 resorts total). Then I shortened the trip by ONE day (6 days total) which should yield the exact same results, but it does not. It offered me 4 total results. How can LESS resorts be available in the same time frame? That is just plain wrong. You should not play a shell game with customers who are loyal to you each year.

ETA: and the results when I shortened the trip were not even for standard room, it was only for one bedroom villas. When I searched for 7 days, it offered standard rooms and more resorts. And before anybody says " just book the 7 days and remove the extra day"...please save your keystrokes. I already know that. But I should not have to take the time to go through all that. It is ridiculous.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Another issue I do not appreciate is how they remove certain room availability depending on how many days you request n the Disney website. A good example is that I just now searched for 7 days in February and it yielded results ranging from All Star to a few mods and several Deluxe ( 11 resorts total). Then I shortened the trip by ONE day (6 days total) which should yield the exact same results, but it does not. It offered me 4 total results. How can LESS resorts be available in the same time frame? That is just plain wrong. You should not play a shell game with customers who are loyal to you each year.

They're making a calculation - or more specifically the computer is - that there's a certain amount of revenue to be made off you if you stay 7 days as opposed to 6...

And I agree...it's scummy. People need to realize that since espn stopped pouring money into the coffers that we are all being leaned on to bridge the profit gap, as opposed to just a solid profit generator that the parks always were. It's only gonna get worse as they struggle to figure out how to handle their collapse cable division and make the wolves on Wall Street happy.

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

Spending $900 on dining is not hard at all especially when you have kids above 9. I can't remember the last time we got out of a Disney TS restaurant for under $100.
It’s not hard at all to surpass that mark. We have been doing TiW for the past 10 years and will continue to get it. It’s still a bargain to us. Granted, we are 2 people from Pennsylvania that probably average 35-40 days in Disney each year and enjoy the occasional adult beverage with our meal. With the 20% discount on all alcohol makes it a no brainer. Most people forget the discount is also off alcohol. We are not big drinkers at all but when you can get that discount for food and beverage it’s a win-win for us. We figure we usually pay for the card the first week to 10 days we are in Disney so the next month or so we are their totally benefits us. I’m guessing for a week or 10 day stay a year would be close for some but a party of four? It will work.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s not hard at all to surpass that mark. We have been doing TiW for the past 10 years and will continue to get it. It’s still a bargain to us. Granted, we are 2 people from Pennsylvania that probably average 35-40 days in Disney each year and enjoy the occasional adult beverage with our meal. With the 20% discount on all alcohol makes it a no brainer. Most people forget the discount is also off alcohol. We are not big drinkers at all but when you can get that discount for food and beverage it’s a win-win for us. We figure we usually pay for the card the first week to 10 days we are in Disney so the next month or so we are their totally benefits us. I’m guessing for a week or 10 day stay a year would be close for some but a party of four? It will work.

I destroy the up front investment in usually the first 5-7 days...family of four. And the alcohol is necessary to deal with that place...I learned that in Pennsylvania :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom