Annual monorail emergency drill tomorrow

ImaYoyo

Original Poster
Just an fyi in case any of you see this, it's not a real emergency, just a drill:

On Thursday, Oct. 25 from 5-7 a.m., Transportation partners will conduct its annual Monorail Evacuation Drill located on the Epcot monorail beam (over STOLport). This is a routine drill and should not cause any alarm or concern.

This drill, conducted in partnership with Reedy Creek, is one of many lengths the Walt Disney World Resort goes through to ensure Cast Members are trained and qualified on various safety measures. It also is an opportunity to check to see that emergency equipment is working properly.
During this time, Guests and Cast Members will see two monorails on the Epcot beam parallel to each other, Reedy Creek emergency vehicles with flashing/emergency lights, two large fire trucks and rescue units on site.

bauton

Quote "They will be parallel to one another? Is there a procedure that includes evacuating from one monorail to another?"

Maybe a giant rubber band covers the door openings, you place the guest in the rubber band and then shoot them over to the other monorail?

WDWRLD

I have often wondered what would happen in a Emergency. I could see it something happened on the Parrell beams in which another monorail could pull alongside and transfer passengers. But what would happen in case of a fire that disabled the drive gear and left it on a loop such as over Epcot. Also pulling another beside one on fire would certainly risk catching the other on fire. I could see using Ladder/Tower firetrucks but there is no way of quickly getting a tower into the park quickly enough. The Tower/Ladder hich I use only could safely carry about 2 people in addition to the firefighter at a time. If you think about how many people are on a Monorail at a time it will not happen quickly. I read somewhere once that there was a plan of a rope type ladder that would allow a evac down either the front of back of a Monorail and allow guests to "Walk The Beam" back to the closest station.....I think not. I never understood how that would work. If you think about it those things are mainly plastics and fiberglass which burns like a roman candle not to mention the toxic gasses which are produced from that stuff. However this is Disney we are talking about, im sure that there is a plan.

ImaYoyo

Original Poster
I guess ImaYoYo missed that whole "Notice of Confidentiality" thing... Selective reading, perhaps?
The "Notice of Confidentiality" on the hub deals with priviledged information which is not to be shared to guests. This bit of information is supposed to be shared with guests.

That being said, I do appreciate you looking out for my best interests:) But don't worry, I don't cross the lines.

devoy1701

when I was playing co-pilot one day in august...they were doing a safety test on the Epcot rail at the TTC station....they were trying to get the train behind us to hit us... pretty neat... anyway...so we got to talking with the pilot and I asked about the whole evac-ing thru the roof hatches and walking the beam...and she said no way would they ever do that.

the Mach VIs (is that right) have safety features ontop of safety features on top of safety features. The pilot said she and also all the monorail stations would know of a tire overheating or mechanical problem long before it ever actually became a safety concern. Once the alarms started sounding, they would shut down power to that segment of the beam and bring the tow barge (which is gas powered out) to tow it to the nearest station. She said they've never had a fire on the Mach VIs.

I know I'm taking the Pilot's word as alot...but she was a very blunt person and was very informative...Like how normal cruising speed is 40mph, but they don't have a gear for 40 so she alternates between the gears for 35 and 45.

The only thing I would think she would "lie" about is if they've ever had a real emergency problem like a fire on a monorail...which I could understand if she lied to prevent bad publicity!

ImaYoyo

Original Poster
Sorry... would have driven me crazy...
when I was playing co-pilot one day in august...they were doing a safety test on the Epcot rail at the TTC station....they were trying to get the train behind us to hit us... pretty neat... anyway...so we got to talking with the pilot and I asked about the whole evac-ing thru the roof hatches and walking the beam...and she said no way would they ever do that.

the Mark VIs (is that right) have safety features ontop of safety features on top of safety features. The pilot said she and also all the monorail stations would know of a tire overheating or mechanical problem long before it ever actually became a safety concern. Once the alarms started sounding, they would shut down power to that segment of the beam and bring the tow barge (which is gas powered out) to tow it to the nearest station. She said they've never had a fire on the Mark VIs.

I know I'm taking the Pilot's word as alot...but she was a very blunt person and was very informative...Like how normal cruising speed is 40mph, but they don't have a gear for 40 so she alternates between the gears for 35 and 45.

The only thing I would think she would "lie" about is if they've ever had a real emergency problem like a fire on a monorail...which I could understand if she lied to prevent bad publicity!

bigtotoro

So how long do you think it will be until we will see the "Was there an accident on the monorail?????" thread.

Shall we put the over/under at 9:00 AM tomorrow?

:lol:
Put me down for $50 on the under. Also, I'd like to put down another $50 on dueling threads started by folks within their first 5 posts here.

bigtotoro

Quote "They will be parallel to one another? Is there a procedure that includes evacuating from one monorail to another?"

Maybe a giant rubber band covers the door openings, you place the guest in the rubber band and then shoot them over to the other monorail?
Why is the movie Speed coming to mind, here?

ImaYoyo

Original Poster
learn something new every day! thanks for correcting! you're all so retentive sometimes! :lol:
I know, and it's terrible! But yes, the current generation of monorails are VERY safe, relative to other modes of transportation, as well as relative to other versions/generations of rail-vehicles.

WDWRLD

I know that they have backups for the backups but ive seen teenagers do some dumb stuff with lighters if you know what I mean.
As far as the front or rear evac I wouldnt think they would ever use it but as I understand that it was a evac procedgure at some time back in history.

prberk

I am still interested as to how people would be evacuated on a part of the track that is not parallel to another, say as it cuts through the woods on the way from MK to EPCOT, especially in the part where it is not directly next to a road.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom