News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

UNCgolf

I still prefer nothing to something shoddy.

This is exactly why I'm glad they're not opening the Play! Pavilion.

I've discussed it elsewhere, but it's basically opportunity cost to me. If they build something mediocre to poor, that's it. That space is used now, and they're unlikely to revisit it (for a couple of decades, at least). It also means they're spending money on that mediocre to poor attraction instead of allocating it elsewhere.

Animaniac93-98

Personally, I would have a Jolly Holiday area similar to DLP's Storybookland with a small boat ride, merry-go-round and fox hunting kiddie coaster [or some other theme] intertwined with nice landscaping and a bakery/tea shop.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Personally, I would have a Jolly Holiday area similar to DLP's Storybookland with a small boat ride, merry-go-round and fox hunting kiddie coaster intertwined with nice landscaping and a bakery/tea shop.

Fox hunting probably wouldn't be a great subject for a kiddie coaster, or really any attraction at all.

I know it's an animated scene in Mary Poppins played for humor, but I really don't see Disney wanting to focus on that.

Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

From another site:

“Former Imagineer here. There was a plan for an indoor teacup attraction between 2016-2020 but it was cancelled due to the expense (cancelled before Covid was a thing). The Travers’ Estate demanded too much money for the IP and trying to engineer a typically loud outdoor attraction to be indoors was also too much for a non E-Ticket.”
I wonder if that’s why they planned on basing the new attraction on MP Returns. I wonder if they have to get permission from the Travers estate to do that

No Name

I wonder if that’s why they planned on basing the new attraction on MP Returns. I wonder if they have to get permission from the Travers estate to do that
They had to get permission to make Mary Poppins Returns so I imagine that’s not it, I’d guess it’s simply because they like to base everything off of the newest version.

No Name

I detect moderate to severe levels of hopium in the air! This will almost certainly be an empty plot of land in 30+ years, just like there’s no ride at the Japan pavilion. They’re not short on space, the budget didn’t get allocated elsewhere, they’re not planning something better in its place, etc.

UNCgolf

I detect moderate to severe levels of hopium in the air! This will almost certainly be an empty plot of land in 30+ years, just like there’s no ride at the Japan pavilion. They’re not short on space, the budget didn’t get allocated elsewhere, they’re not planning something better in its place, etc.

It's technically not an empty plot of land now!

At least I think that's correct -- my understanding was that it would involve demolishing the gazebo and hedge maze.

LittleBuford

I don't mind that several of the World Showcase pavilions don't have rides. Indeed, I don't see it as an issue at all.

Animaniac93-98

Fox hunting probably wouldn't be a great subject for a kiddie coaster, or really any attraction at all.

I know it's an animated scene in Mary Poppins played for humor, but I really don't see Disney wanting to focus on that.

I did not intend for my suggestion to be any more graphic, or pro-hunting than what's depicted in said cartoon.

Ironically, in the movie it's the Mary Poppins outing that Mr Banks finds the least objectionable. 😅

My post was more about how you could have multiple, smaller outdoor attractions in that plot instead of spending a lot of money just to put one flat ride indoors.

UNCgolf

I did not intend for my suggestion to be any more graphic, or pro-hunting than what's depicted in said cartoon.

Ironically, in the movie it's the Mary Poppins outing that Mr Banks finds the least objectionable. 😅

My post was more about how you could have multiple, smaller outdoor attractions in that plot instead of spending a lot of money just to put one flat ride indoors.

I know you didn't -- I was just pointing out Disney likely wouldn't use that as a basis for an attraction if only for PR reasons.

But yeah, I agree. If they're not going to build a D or E ticket there, they'd be better off with multiple smaller attractions.

Tha Realest

Speaking of IP, Mary Poppins is one of Disney’s most enduring properties, it’s managed to escape (to date) modern day attempts to find it problematic, and it was one of Walt’s last creations. It’s really pretty abysmal that in 50 years the only real Mary Poppins presence in at WDW resort is an occasional meet and greet, some thematic touches at a resort, and pictures at the Boardwalk hotel of Julie Andrews wandering around the opening of the Magic Kingdom.

Disstevefan1

Speaking of IP, Mary Poppins is one of Disney’s most enduring properties, it’s managed to escape (to date) modern day attempts to find it problematic, and it was one of Walt’s last creations. It’s really pretty abysmal that in 50 years the only real Mary Poppins presence in at WDW resort is an occasional meet and greet, some thematic touches at a resort, and pictures at the Boardwalk hotel of Julie Andrews wandering around the opening of the Magic Kingdom.
Give the Twitter Mob some time they are busy canceling someone or something at the moment.

Magenta Panther

Plus it was a world-wide box-office hit and scored a mess of awards. Cinematically, it's probably Walt's crown jewel. It holds up beautifully to this day. It deserves a land of its own. A dark ride, shops, restaurants - all of that. (Although I don't know if today's Imagineers are up to doing a good job of it.) It's funny that Disney's version of Alice in Wonderland gets more theme park presence than Poppins, given that the former didn't achieve anything like the success of the latter. The lack of Poppins in the parks, as you say, is abysmal indeed. And with the soulless dunderhead Iger in charge of the company, we'll probably never see Walt's best film get anything like its due. Tragic.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Give the Twitter Mob some time they are busy canceling someone or something at the moment.
It's been discussed in this thread that there is indeed something mildly problematic in MP with a minor character (and I'm not talking about the crazy claims which were universally dismissed). But no where near as problematic as Travers' original books.

But it's a movie of its times and hardly worse than most movies released around the same time.

Disstevefan1

It's been discussed in this thread that there is indeed something mildly problematic in MP with a minor character (and I'm not talking about the crazy claims which were universally dismissed). But no where near as problematic as Travers' original books.

But it's a movie of its times and hardly worse than most movies released around the same time.
It's too bad they didn't play the "a movie of its times" card to save Splash.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom