Anna and Elsa at DHS Today

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
Where the Magic Lives posted this on their Facebook Page.
1069336_225655347603079_3796051_n.jpg

Magenta Panther

Same characters different names lol I guess frozen is on the same list as the muppets for ya?

Yeah, uh, NO. As Bright Imagine pointed out, Kay - or Kai - is a boy in the original Hans Christian Anderson tale "The Snow Queen", which is the story "Frozen" is supposedly based on. The two main characters in that story were a boy and a girl who are devoted friends, and, when the boy is kidnapped by the Snow Queen, the girl (Gerda) goes off to save him. Talk about a liberated female - in the original story, the damsel did the rescuing. Now of course, Disney has changed stories in the past in order to better adapt them to the needs of the silver screen...but "Frozen", as someone else here astutely observed, looks like it was created by Disney's marketing department. The Queen herself has been dropped from the screen version entirely - which is beyond stupid, IMO, because the Queen is the titular character for Pete's sake. And Kay was ditched in favor of a hunky adult male - heck, TWO of them. Because, after all, if you want to sell TWO princess dolls, you gotta have two PRINCES, or the equivalent, to complete the toy line. :p THAT is what offends me about "Frozen". Elements of the original story were apparently discarded because Disney couldn't see a market for a Snow Queen doll, or a Kay doll (guess the marketing department thinks he's too young. Apparently they have no clue about how popular "kawaii" and "chibi" are among young girls. ;) ).

Last edited:

BrightImagine

This is all not to mention the fact that there's no Robber Girl character - such a cool and different character that I would have loved to see in animated form. Much better than a snowman. But that's all in the past now... I do like the designs of Anna and Elsa and the idea of a story about sisters (I'm trying to avoid finding out the story.) But it's not The Snow Queen.

YunaB17

This is all not to mention the fact that there's no Robber Girl character - such a cool and different character that I would have loved to see in animated form. Much better than a snowman. But that's all in the past now... I do like the designs of Anna and Elsa and the idea of a story about sisters (I'm trying to avoid finding out the story.) But it's not The Snow Queen.
Part of the reason Disney changed the name from The Snow Queen to Frozen was because they recognized the fact that it was no longer an adaptation. Yes, The Snow Queen was the starting point but it's evolved into something much diffrent. It's kind of like the Lion King and Hamlet, the Lion King was losely inspired by Hamlet but it is by no means an adaptation and so it is not titled Hamlet it is The Lion King. Same thing with Rapunzel and Tangled as well. I think people forget that Disney is almost never faithful to the original and more often uses the original as a starting point that they losely base the movie off of.

Sped2424

Yeah, uh, NO. As Bright Imagine pointed out, Kay - or Kai - is a boy in the original Hans Christian Anderson tale "The Snow Queen", which is the story "Frozen" is supposedly based on. The two main characters in that story were a boy and a girl who are devoted friends, and, when the boy is kidnapped by the Snow Queen, the girl (Gerda) goes off to save him. Talk about a liberated female - in the original story, the damsel did the rescuing. Now of course, Disney has changed stories in the past in order to better adapt them to the needs of the silver screen...but "Frozen", as someone else here astutely observed, looks like it was created by Disney's marketing department. The Queen herself was dropped entirely - which is beyond stupid, IMO, because the Queen is the titular character for Pete's sake. And Kay was ditched in favor of a hunky adult male - heck, TWO of them. Because, after all, if you want to sell TWO princess dolls, you gotta have two PRINCES, or the equivalent, to complete the toy line. :p THAT is what offends me about "Frozen". Elements of the original story were apparently discarded because Disney couldn't see a market for a Snow Queen doll, or a Kay doll (guess the marketing department thinks he's too young. Apparently they have no clue about how popular "kawaii" and "chibi" are among young girls. ;) ).
The damsel is still doing the rescuing, The snow queen in this film is still Elsa, they did this because disney has tried believe it or not to adapt this film since about 2002. Each time to no avail, they couldn't get the story to work or make it interesting for audiences. The original tale had gerda crying on everything to heal or fix it, talk about new wave feminism :confused: and the snow queen in the old tale isn't even necessarily evil. She takes kai away for saying that he will burn her on the stove, after that she just kind of lets him chill in her castle. Elements were discarded because they didn't work if you don't believe me give this article a read
http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_c...decades-long-story-problems.aspx#.UmgZrPnqya8
As for elsa being a princess that isn't even in the film, she is actually the snow queen and the queen of arendelle. The only people calling her a princess is the Disney princess line which is for marketing but in the story of this film she is a Queen. She is also one of the main characters, the name was changed not because the story no longer involves the snow queen, but because marketing dictated that tangled was a success with the name change, so they did the same to frozen. Also almost all fairy tales involve children, and disney has more or less made them adults or older in about each film so nothing new there. I think you should honestly see the film before judging it so quickly. And if you are mad the source material isn't there I reccomend you read some grimm fairy tales or Hans christen Andersen original tales, you'll find ariel's fate should have been a bit more, well, bubbly. I have faith in Disney animation they don't just shelve out garbage (planes doesn't count that is disney toon studios.)

BrightImagine

That's a nice article, but it leaves out about four out of seven chapters of the original story... the whole middle. As written it is an epic journey, with so many interesting characters other than Gerda, Kai and the Queen. I would challenge anyone to read the original and say they wouldn't watch it as a movie.

I have nothing against Frozen... except for the fact that it means that now Disney will never make a movie of The Snow Queen. It was my favorite fairy tale as a child, and I've been hoping for a Disney movie for thirty years or so. :(

Gerda melts Kai's frozen heart with her tears... saying she cries on everything to fix it is kinda flip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom