Animlal Kingdom News?

DWImagineer

Original Poster
Has anyone heard of any news for new lands or animal exhibits at Animal Kingdom. I might be going down next year and would like to know. Also, has anyone taken any satellite pictures of the park to see if there is any construction to be sneaky. I've tried but at all the wrong places.

Pongo

Well for one, Everest hasn't even officially opened yet. I don't think we're getting anything for a while.

And all satellite images are either really old or really blurry.

ToTBellHop

Actually, I'm pretty sure something big is already on the way for AK--though I'm not sure if they have settled on what that something might be, just that AK will be getting something within another few years. I might expect more info when Everest opens or this October, with the end of the HCoE.

RonAnnArbor

I don't think you are going to see anything new at AK when you go down next year except for the new show that replaces Tarzan Rocks and Expedition Everest. THey might announce something new, but it certainly won't be there yet within the year.

RSoxNo1

Ghostbuster626 said:
Gothmickey says something is in the works...

You tease... I know in the Everest Queue they allude to a skytram ride with animals. I think it was on JHM that detailed the original plans of this ride calling for a Yeti at the end after going over Snow Leopards, Musk Oxen, and a couple different types of monkeys.

jaredliu

finding nemo musical is going to be the next big thing happend in Ak. Words has it that it will be ready by the end of the year. I am really looking for it because the production team is rumor to be the team behind revenu Q which is very very talented. Also I enjoyed a lot of the "under the sea " sequence of the little mermaid show from MGM but felt a little dated. Right now they are making it big and try to create the more immersed illusion of "under the sea" and make it a Nemo-Version. I always love how Disney uses balcklight to creat fanatcy and now it is time for the real deal. If Finding Nemo is popular, along with EE ( almost guarantee to be a monster hit), Animal Kingdom will easily surpass MGM box-office-wise IMO.

speck76

Well...if history tells us anything, it is that parks open "unfinished" (as some people would say) and then get "capacity improvements" as needed.

Epcot opened, and within 4 years had 3 additional pavilions in FW, and a new country, with another pavilion and country under construction.

MGM opened with rides like Star Tours planned, and they were added a few years later, along with a host of other attractions.

The difference that I can see is DAK has NEVER been pushing its capacity mark on a long-term basis......not like MGM, which was only built to hold about 2/3rds the attendance it was getting.

(Yes, even the MK was built under this same idea....)

Now, DAK has seen capacity improvements (Asia aside, as that was really an extended phase 1) with Dino-Rama and now Everest. While I don't think DAK is near its potential, with EE opening, and a new show opening this fall where Tarzan ROCKS! was, that is some significant investment.

One thing I noticed now that EE is open......whereas I usually get to the park around 3:30pm, people would be leaving in masses......and if they were not gone at 3:30, they ran out of the park after the parade. With EE open, leaving at 5:15 was as bad as leaving the MK at closing when Wishes plays at closing......that many people were still in the park. EE...which will most likely have a 60-90 minute wait on most days, will add an additional hour or 2 to most guests stays.....the new show will add even more time......so DAK, being open until 5pm, might actually see most guests stay until 5pm.....

The next trick is to extend the closing time, and still have people stay until closing.

imagineersrock

speck76 said:
Well...if history tells us anything, it is that parks open "unfinished" (as some people would say) and then get "capacity improvements" as needed.

Epcot opened, and within 4 years had 3 additional pavilions in FW, and a new country, with another pavilion and country under construction.

MGM opened with rides like Star Tours planned, and they were added a few years later, along with a host of other attractions.

The difference that I can see is DAK has NEVER been pushing its capacity mark on a long-term basis......not like MGM, which was only built to hold about 2/3rds the attendance it was getting.

(Yes, even the MK was built under this same idea....)

Now, DAK has seen capacity improvements (Asia aside, as that was really an extended phase 1) with Dino-Rama and now Everest. While I don't think DAK is near its potential, with EE opening, and a new show opening this fall where Tarzan ROCKS! was, that is some significant investment.

One thing I noticed now that EE is open......whereas I usually get to the park around 3:30pm, people would be leaving in masses......and if they were not gone at 3:30, they ran out of the park after the parade. With EE open, leaving at 5:15 was as bad as leaving the MK at closing when Wishes plays at closing......that many people were still in the park. EE...which will most likely have a 60-90 minute wait on most days, will add an additional hour or 2 to most guests stays.....the new show will add even more time......so DAK, being open until 5pm, might actually see most guests stay until 5pm.....

The next trick is to extend the closing time, and still have people stay until closing.
Good post, and I completely agree about the "people starting to stay until park close now" deal. As I reported in a photo update from this weekend, coming in to the park at about 3:00pm there were actually lines to get IN---and pretty long ones at that. This was definitely new for me. Much like you said, exiting the park at 5:00pm was no longer a small trickle of guests... it was a really significant amount of people, which (once again) caught me off guard.

As far as capacity improvements go, on top of the Everest and Nemo show additions you mentioned---don't forget the new "Asia" table service/counter service/store that is on the way and set to open by summer 2007---that should also be keeping guests inside the park longer.

DWImagineer

Original Poster
If AK was adding something. How long would a land starting off with just animals and theming take to build and finish off or even adding new animals to old lands? If there is one thing to do in AK, it would be to make Dinoland U.S.A more carnival-like. They should add two more carnival rides for a more carnival feel. It wouldn't take long and it would give the people some extra things to ride.

PhilharMagician

I like the idea of a new walkway to Rafiki's Planet Watch and the idea of a restaurant going in there.

Harambe could also use something. Maybe a darkride or theater show. I know there is not much room, but maybe just behind The Dawa Bar and the Tusker House over to the river. Have a que start near the Bar.:dazzle:

speck76

PhilharMagician said:
I like the idea of a new walkway to Rafiki's Planet Watch and the idea of a restaurant going in there.

Harambe could also use something. Maybe a darkride or theater show. I know there is not much room, but maybe just behind The Dawa Bar and the Tusker House over to the river. Have a que start near the Bar.:dazzle:

I am not seeing a dark ride really as fitting in the "animal" areas of DAK.....sure....Dinoland is fine, or if Fantasy animals ever come, that would work.....but I think in fitting with the animal parts of the park, real animals should be used wherever possible.

As for theater shows....I like them, but DAK has plenty for now....4 (when theater in the wild reopens).....5 if you count the 3-D movie.

I would really like to see some additional animal treks....but I think so much more could be done with the concept....think of Tom Sawyer Island with critters...and (for PETA's sake) no guns

PhilharMagician

speck76 said:
I am not seeing a dark ride really as fitting in the "animal" areas of DAK.....sure....Dinoland is fine, or if Fantasy animals ever come, that would work.....but I think in fitting with the animal parts of the park, real animals should be used wherever possible.

As for theater shows....I like them, but DAK has plenty for now....4 (when theater in the wild reopens).....5 if you count the 3-D movie.

I would really like to see some additional animal treks....but I think so much more could be done with the concept....think of Tom Sawyer Island with critters...and (for PETA's sake) no guns

Well think of something similar to maybe Spaceship Earth or Horizons for a dark ride. A omnimover ride system that would incorporate African history and culture. Africa has such a diverse culture. The differances in culture from South Africa to Zaire and all the way up to Egypt oh and don't forget the Island of Madagascar. I think the ideas could be endless, unless you would like to move the Pooh ride over from MK:lol: .

It sure would be nice to have a nice indoor activity to do during those hot humid summer days.

NadieMasK2

DWImagineer said:
If there is one thing to do in AK, it would be to make Dinoland U.S.A more carnival-like. They should add two more carnival rides for a more carnival feel. It wouldn't take long and it would give the people some extra things to ride.

Ugh, I have to disagree with you there. My opinion of Dinoland is that it doesn't belong in a disney park. I know that they were trying to recreate that authentic carnival feel, but it's not magical, not special, just not very "disney" to me.

I don't have a problem with the dinosaur theme, though. I would vote for a more authentic prehistoric feel, maybe sort of educational, kind of like UoE, but not more carnival rides!

speck76

PhilharMagician said:
Well think of something similar to maybe Spaceship Earth or Horizons for a dark ride. A omnimover ride system that would incorporate African history and culture. Africa has such a diverse culture. The differances in culture from South Africa to Zaire and all the way up to Egypt oh and don't forget the Island of Madagascar. I think the ideas could be endless, unless you would like to move the Pooh ride over from MK:lol: .

It sure would be nice to have a nice indoor activity to do during those hot humid summer days.

That sounds like something that would better fit in Epcot than in Harambe.....although DAK has sections themed to Africa and Asia...the over-riding themes of those areas are the animals, and the cultures' relationship with the animals......Animal Kingdom needs to stay animal-focused......or it will end up like Tomorrowland....as a park with theme in name only.

I'm for just about anything with an ominmover ride system, but I don't know how well an omnimover ride system and a live animal environment would mix. Spaceship Earth is so squeaky and noisy I think animals would go nuts listening to it. But, is it just me or is the ride smoother at Haunted Mansion than in Spaceship Earth?

DWImagineer

Original Poster
This is what Ak should do. They should next add a new animal land. Like North America, South America, or Australia. Start off only with animals so that the area can open earlier and draw in the crowds. Then add some rides to the new lands. The finally plan for Beastly Kingdom. Or do that in the oppsoite order. Start with Beastly Kingdom next, then add the new lands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom