Animal rights petition the layoff of dolphins from Epcot's The Seas

backinaction

I never saw a problem with the way Disney has treated the dolphins at the Living Seas. They have access to a very large swimming area and they are kept on a well maintained diet. Now SeaWorld on the other hand is a bit different. I'm not 100 percent sure if they still have this, but there used to be an exhibit were you could feed dolphins. It always seemed cruel because the tank was very small and people would tease the dolphins. They would also throw things in the tank.

Joshua&CalebDad

Unfortunately, with folks such as those that create these types of petitions they don't care whether or not the animals have been treated kindly or whether or not they would die in the wild if they were set free, they simply believe that these aniamls should only be in the wild.

These folks also fail to realize that through organizations such as Seaworld and Disney, average Joes are able to get up close and personal with these precious creatures and learn more about them, thus enlightening the general public as to the importance of these animals and the responsibility we have to protect our environment. For example, my wife and I take our 3 and 5 year old to the Atlanta Aquarium and have visited Gulf World in Panama City Beach so that our sons can learn about marine wildlife and learn about how their actions can affect the animals natural habitat.

Funny enough, in the past we did not recylce in our home. It wasn't until my 5 year old started asking why we didn't recycle and reminded us that our actions affect the dolphins that we visited in Gulf World that we brought in some recycling containers. From the mouth of babes.

It should also be mentioned that not everyone organization out there is as good as Disney and Seaworld and therefore there are instances where these animals are mistreated. These are the cases that the "animal lovers" should spend there time on.

bubbles1812

Crazy peeps do crazy things... I'm all for protecting wildlife and dolphins are one of my favorite animals but some of them are just not capable of surviving in the wild at this point. If there was some evidence Disney mistreated their dolphins or other creatures, sure, then we'd have an issue but all evidence points to the contrary. Also, anyone else amused that it's only the dolphins they care about? Screw those sharks, fish, and turtles! ;)

My favorite reasoning on there for signing the petition was the person who said "Dolphins save human lives"... now, they occasionally do, but seriously, do they think the Disney dolphins if released would hang out near shore all the time to save little Johnny and Susie when they go out too far? :D

Beholder

I also tend to think that a dolphin or any other marine mammal doing tricks or performances illustrates the animals intelligence, creating a new perspective for people. Perhaps it also creates respect for another being that's quite capable of complex thought/reasoning behavior, which in turn fosters an environment for understanding.

In an ideal world, people would treat all animals with respect, but we don't even treat each other that way, so I think that anything (within certain standards) that helps people "connect" with wildlife is a good thing.

Besides, if we lay off the dolphins, won't the unemployment rate just go up even more?

jt04

I support the removal of the Dolphins but for entirely different reasons. I'd like to see the main take emptied and filtering systems removed. To be replaced with state of the art technology. Basically sub-dividing the main tank into numerous smaller more diverse tanks. The new filtering, lighting and stocking of such tanks now create stunning displays that mesmerize and can also educate. The first tank I saw like this was at the aquarium in Gatlinburg TN. Definitely EPCOT Center quality.

And Disney can get some good publicity by sending the dolphins to a place with better facilities. I doubt they could be released into the wild successfully at this point.

No-brainer really.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
None of the dolphins kept in The Living Seas would be able to survive in the wild, as they've all been born in captivity. Not sure about Sea World, but I imagine that's the case there as well. Most reputable aquariums and aquatic parks haven't taken animals out of the wild in years, in some cases, decades. Their captive breeding programs are more than sufficient. The manatees that are kept in The Living Seas are only there for a few months, then they're released. They're rescued, rehabilitated, then released back in to the wild.

I think we could all agree that removing healthy dolphins from the wild for the purposes of entertainment is cruel. If that's what was occurring, I'd be the first one to sign that petition. Heck, I'd help circulate it. However, that's not the case here.

Cindy'sBruno

Also....how many dolphins are hunted and killed in the wild??? These dolphins are treated great! Has anyone ever done the backstage tour??? My husband and I did it and I have never learned so much about these amazing creatures! I also learned that they are fed live fish as well as dead fish. It is a combination of the two. Yes, there are other places that should not allow animals/fish/whatever in their facilities but WDW is not one of them!

Zummi Gummi

Also....how many dolphins are hunted and killed in the wild???

Far too many, sadly. Have you ever watched the documentary, The Cove? It was absolutely one of the most disturbing, sad, and heart-breaking things I've ever watched. Yet I consider it an extremely important documentary as well, and I'm glad I saw it.

Zummi Gummi

I don't see the problem. If Disney releases their dolphins, then all "companies" must do the same! Why pick on Disney?:(

Because going after "BOB'S DOLPHIN SHOW!" in Honky Tonk, USA isn't going to generate any media attention, which is always the goal of these petitions and protests. Going after a large corporation like Disney, however, potentially could.

montyz81

How about we meld this conversation with the AA conversation in another thread and create high quality Animal AAs that could swim in water. Now we can solve all problems and questions.

My view on this is leave the rehab of dolphins up to the experts in places like Sea World and this place http://www.seewinter.com/. I know Disney has experts, but they are diverse in so many areas they may lack the funding that these other places have. That said, maybe Disney does have dedicated funding for animals because of Animal Kingdom. Someone should ask next time they are at Conservation Station if the Vets at Animal Kingdom are involved with the animals in The Seas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom