Animal Kingom poll

Is Animal Kingdom just a zoo?

• YES

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • NO

Votes: 76 89.4%

• Total voters

Tramp

There are some very passionate responses to this question which only proves everyone has a preconceived notion of what constitutes a zoo. So here are some things to ponder:

The animals roaming the savannah seem to have a decent life but does it compare with an African wildlife reserve?

No bars around the gorilla area but doesn't the well-hidden moat serve the same purpose? I could go on and on.

The existence of a theme park encompassing a collection of animals for public display doesn't change it's basic character....the ZOO was the fundamental idea and the theme park developed around it.

At the end of the day, AK is special to all of us cuz Disney has taken the best of both worlds, a zoo and a theme park, and merged them into a unique and rewarding experience. And that, my friends, is worth a standing ovation.:sohappy:

Tramp

Originally posted by dizpins14
where ever you go in AK even on Kilamanjaro safari it does not smell like a zoo. No animal smell=no zoo.

ROTFLMAO......wonder if I should apply this formula to the restrooms?:lol:

ToTBellHop

You do realize that all of those animals would die the second you left them out in an African savannah, don't you? Disney gets about as close to an African savannah as humanly possible--minus the predators, the floods, etc. Would you complain? Also, the animals are not forced to be on exhibit, something many zoos don't do--so if they get nervous or anything, they always have the option of going "off stage". It says a lot when Jane Goodall is willing to work there.

bjshade23

It is not a zoo.
I have taken the backstage tour of the AK and they told us thta the animals on the savana aren't forced to go out or forced to come in. They said that animals have been known to stay out in the savana.
A little bit of more info is that all the animals on the savana are brought in at nite except for the gators/crocidiles. I wonder why.

tenchu

It's probably about as 'unzoolike' as a zoo can get. Theres only so much you can do to make the animals at home, whilst still having them on display. In some ways i do dissagree with animals being held in captivity like that, but it is a lot, lot, better than many places.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
That was the point I was trying to make. Captivity is captivity. But there is a need for programmes to save animals. Disney has done it as well as can be expected. The only thing that is slightly worrying as can be seen on here most people dont have the time/inclination for the animal show/education attractions. Infact I think that the Kilimanjaro Safaris would be the only animal interaction that most enjoy or are interested in.

MinnieFan

I vote Not A Zoo! Yes, it does have animals like a zoo, but it is so much more. People who don't go because they think it is Justazu are really missing out on park.

SilentRascal

Account Suspended
The fact is, Animal Kingdom is a zoo. It's a very pretty zoo, but it's a zoo, nonetheless. In time I'm sure it'll be an incredible zoo/theme park.....but it needs quite a few more rides and other attractions to reach that status.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom