Votes: 25 23.8%
  • We never spend a full day at AK

Votes: 41 39.0%
  • other (since you never know)

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters

Nicole

Original Poster
I have seen several comments about AK needing EE to make it more than a half-day park. I'm constantly amazed that people think there isn't enough to do at AK. We always run out of day before we run out of park.

Do other people not enjoy the animal exhibits? Maharajah Jungle Trek? Pangani Forest Trail? Shows? Flights of Wonder? Festival of the Lion King?

I'm truly curious to know what specific attractions you go to and when you consider you are "done" with the park. Is it different for me because I'm there with my kids? We have only had time to do Conservation Station once and keep hoping to get back there (if only to hear Guitar Dan).

FigmentJedi

Exactly. We've done a full day at Animal Kingdom before, doing essentially all the attractions(even the Dumbosaurs at Dinorama, though not Pocahontas) and walkthroughs. People consider it a half day park only because they go on 7 attractions(Festival, Kilimanjaro Safaris, Kali River Rapids, Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl, Tough to be a Bug and now Everest) and go to another park. If you actually take your time, you can spend a nice full day there.

Connor002

I'd say "other." Only because we spend the majority of the day at AK, but then usually head over to MK or Epcot to see the fireworks.

MKCP 1985

The park always seems to get hotter than the others. If we get there first thing in the morning, we are gone by early afternoon. With early closing hours, there is no going back. *shrug*

Anyone else feel the heat at DAK?

Nicole

Original Poster
So, MKCP, you leave because of the heat, not because you've run out of things to do? We have always gone in the off-season so that hasn't been an issue for us.

GenerationX

We usually spend five or six hours at DAK. As MKCP 1985 pointed out, it just gets too hot. It's situated in a valley and has the poorest air circulation of the parks. We limit our touring to a handful of attractions, then leave. Without the weather issue, we could easily spend a whole day there.

summergurl

AK is definitely at least a full day park! My family usually starts out with the "headliners", but we always do the Jungle Trek and the other walks and animal exhibits as well. I think I could spend practically half a day watching the animals in the oasis alone! True, it does get hot, but the shops are always nicely air conditioned :animwink:

MKCP 1985

Nicole said:
So, MKCP, you leave because of the heat, not because you've run out of things to do? We have always gone in the off-season so that hasn't been an issue for us.
Yeah, it is weird that way and it doesn't seem to matter when we go - we've never been in the hottest months of summer. We start on the Dino-land side of the park and by the time we make it to Camp Minnie-Mickey, everyone is ready to get the heck out of there.

Person 1: Wanna see Festival of the Lion King?
Person 2: NO- I've got to get out of this park before I kill somebody, possibly you!

It isn't like that for us at any other park. I dunno. . . maybe it is poor air circulation like Generation X said.

GoofyMom2

AK a half day park! No way!!

We always spend a full day there and I still haven't seen it all. We love taking our time going through the trails, seeing the shows etc. Our favorite is to go into the walk-in aviaries and talk to the keepers... they have been great giving us info on the different birds, especially ones not pictured on their guides.

Actually, we enjoy talking to the CM all over the park. They are so informative and really have great stories.

PS Love Guitar Dan.... he sang a song to my DS and really emabrrassed him! :lol:

d43boy

Heat

It is definitely hotter at AK. I always thought it was the whole tropical oasis vibe:lol:

However, on our last visit in Oct/Nov 2005, we did practically everything (exhibits, trails, rides, shows, parade) and were still done early. We then headed to MNSSHP and arrived early!

I know that Oct/Nov is not prime season, but it was still fairly busy. Perhaps during high season, when there are longer lines for everything, it could definitely be a full-day park. (AK is one of my favorites, but would like to see more)

Can't wait for Everest!
:wave:

Splashman

GenerationX said:
We usually spend five or six hours at DAK. As MKCP 1985 pointed out, it just gets too hot. It's situated in a valley and has the poorest air circulation of the parks. We limit our touring to a handful of attractions, then leave. Without the weather issue, we could easily spend a whole day there.

From what I hear the Disney Imagineers purposely built Animal Kingdom in a ditch, or valley, as GenerationX pointed out, to give it a more realistic feeling of what the places represented in Animal Kingdom actually feel like. Thats why its hotter in Animal Kingdom than the other parks.

disneypearl

I love spending the entire day at Animal Kingdom! There isn't enough time in one day to do it all. I love the atmosphere of the park. I still have not seen the parade which I plan on correcting in next week when I go. :sohappy: How is the parade? I also have not seen the Lion King. Will be seeing that also. :sohappy:

barnum42

I spend multiple days at AK, then head over to one of the other parks when it closes. Sometimes I may start a day out at Magic Kingdom, then swing by AK in the Afternoon for a show and to see the tigers and gorillas at the end of the day when they are more active then head over to Epcot or the Studios to see the day out.

PamelaNiebergal

We always spend several days at Animal Kingdom. It takes at least a day to see everything and even then it might feel rushed. I think that when at AK you should take your time to take in all the beauty and atmosphere. Wandering through the discovery trails and treks can take a while if you really want to enjoy them to the fullest. The shows are amazing - all must sees in my opinion. Plus, many of the attractions have a high level of rerideability (is that a word?). Kilamanjaro Safaris is never the same twice and I could watch FotLK over and over and never get bored. There's so much to learn, see and do. Nothing frustrates me more than the low attention span of our collective society. That's probably the reason the average person might see AK as a half day park.

tigsmom

We used to spend just a half day there, but these last 2 trips we've seem to be different. Each time we find new things and end up staying longer. I have to say that I agree with the heat thing...we go in the summer and with all the vegetation it seems more hot & humid. Add to that all the trails that seem to wind on forever, well we usually just bail when the kids (or mom :eek: ) get cranky.

Did Knee

While I agree about the heat, I also have to say that there is definitely emough there to keep one busy all day. I for one don't do song and dance shows, but even without those, there is plenty at AK. The park I have the least to do at is the Studios. Since I dont have kids, alot of the shows at the studios don't interest me, and while the rides they do have are great (R&RC, TOT) IMHO there aren't emough of them.

Erika

I think it all depends on your personality. We always find a ton to do there, but if you're a person who tends to tear through the parks, from one attraction to the next, you're not going to fill a whole day at AK. To me it's more the "take it easy" park. I love it but I can see how it is not for everybody.

bhg469

If there was ever a half day park it would be MGM. Im looking at it if you only do each attraction once, and there are short lines.

peter11435

bhg469 said:
If there was ever a half day park it would be MGM. Im looking at it if you only do each attraction once, and there are short lines.
Not if you do the Animation tour, Indiana Jones, Lights motor actions, One Mans dream with the film, Beauty and the Beast, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, catch the parade, and take in some Streetmosphere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom