Animal Kingdom tidbits

GiveMeTheMusic

We went through AK twice in two successive weeks about a decade ago. The first week, I saw a gorilla fling his own feces at an unsuspecting tourist, squarely hitting his video camera. Epic. The next week, I saw (I assume) the same gorilla enjoying a 10-gal bucket. I will never forget what I saw that day: the gorilla would projectile vomit into the bucket, then tip the bucket up and *drink* it. This cycle repeated several times. When he was finally done, not wanting to be an unhygienic primate, he took his bucket to the stream and rinsed it out a few times. One of the strangest and best things I've ever seen.

That's messed up.

flyerjab

That looks like a lot of construction going on in those photos. Really impressed with everything happening in this park right now. How large is this area that they are developing out? Has that ever been reported?

WDWtraveler

The first picture in the sequence was taken from the train track curve before the Wildlife Express station, and you can see buildings in the distance over the fence. The area extends from the construction wall next to Mombasa Marketplace gift shop to the train track curve, and parallels the pathway to the Wildlife Express train station. Could be at least a couple hundred feet long or more.

Soarin' Over Pgh

More recently, I also witnessed a shocking act by an obviously male bat on the Asia side that is far too graphic for this chat room. You don't see that at the Studios.

Well you do if you know where to look

Oh.

Never mind then.

There have been a bunch of permits filed for the area, but nothing to revealing.

Interesting. I'm banking on a bunch of speciality shops and eateries. And I think that'd be ok in this spot...

flyerjab

There is an aerial photo around here somewhere that shows the area in it's early stages of construction.

So I have been doing some snooping. The name I saw for this project is Mombassa Marketplace and for a baseline description will have a QS and some shops. I am assuming that this will, aside from offering another area to eat and shop, allow for the projected increase in attendance when Rivers of Light debuts, along with the future opening of Avatar.

Just out of curiosity, the parade that was discontinued for this park, was part of the reason for that due to the fact that the park was not properly built for a parade? Would adding expanded areas like this and the new Festival of the Lion King area help alleviate part of that issue? Does anyone think that there is the possibility that other areas in Asia or Dinoland might also be built out a bit more?

I just expect attendance at this park to increase significantly by 2017 and the extra space will be needed.

cjkeating

So I have been doing some snooping. The name I saw for this project is Mombassa Marketplace and for a baseline description will have a QS and some shops. I am assuming that this will, aside from offering another area to eat and shop, allow for the projected increase in attendance when Rivers of Light debuts, along with the future opening of Avatar.

Just out of curiosity, the parade that was discontinued for this park, was part of the reason for that due to the fact that the park was not properly built for a parade? Would adding expanded areas like this and the new Festival of the Lion King area help alleviate part of that issue? Does anyone think that there is the possibility that other areas in Asia or Dinoland might also be built out a bit more?

I just expect attendance at this park to increase significantly by 2017 and the extra space will be needed.

Although part of the reason for the parade being cut was likely be cost related I think it is quite clear now that it would be very difficult to have maintained a safe parade route with all of the construction work that is going on around the park. Would a parade come back? At some point in the parks existence? Probably.

doctornick

Rob562

Last I heard, its closest equivalent would be the market along Sunset Blvd at the Studios: multiple quick service windows with lots of outdoor, covered seating.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom