Animal Kingdom Lodge tell me all about it

Raegansmommy

Original Poster
We changed our resort 2 days before arrival! Anyone willing to share the Cliff Notes version of Animal Kingdom Lodge please? We have 2 children 9 and 6. I watched a few youtube videos, but they mostly just show the room and lobby.

Weather_Lady

I haven't stayed there myself, although a friend and his family recently did. They loved it: it's got some of the best resort dining options on property, a beautiful feature pool, and terrific places scattered around to view the animals even if you didn't book a savannah-view room category.

The only down-side they mentioned was the fact that it took a few extra minutes to get to all of the parks except for Animal Kingdom (which is a very short trip). However, they didn't think that was a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Other amenities discussed here: https://yourfirstvisit.net/2014/04/20/review-disneys-animal-kingdom-lodge-jambo-house-page-3/

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Stayed there many times. The dining is some of the best on property, the pools are great and where else can you go out on your balcony and see a giraffe.

If you have any specific questions, fire away.

Raegansmommy

Original Poster
I haven't stayed there myself, although a friend and his family recently did. They loved it: it's got some of the best resort dining options on property, a beautiful feature pool, and terrific places scattered around to view the animals even if you didn't book a savannah-view room category.

The only down-side they mentioned was the fact that it took a few extra minutes to get to all of the parks except for Animal Kingdom (which is a very short trip). However, they didn't think that was a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Other amenities discussed here: https://yourfirstvisit.net/2014/04/20/review-disneys-animal-kingdom-lodge-jambo-house-page-3/
Thank you for your reply. We are very excited and our first time at a Deluxe resort!

Raegansmommy

Original Poster
Stayed there many times. The dining is some of the best on property, the pools are great and where else can you go out on your balcony and see a giraffe.

If you have any specific questions, fire away.
Master Yoda, I remember reading something in regards to that they have their own Safari Ride? We have been preparing for Caribbean Beach since the Spring and were finally able to find another resort. Now I feel so unprepared!

How are the buses here? We have stayed at Coronado, POP, and the Cabins before. Is there one stop for the buses like POP, or many like Coronado? Thank you for your reply.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Master Yoda, I remember reading something in regards to that they have their own Safari Ride? We have been preparing for Caribbean Beach since the Spring and were finally able to find another resort. Now I feel so unprepared!

How are the buses here? We have stayed at Coronado, POP, and the Cabins before. Is there one stop for the buses like POP, or many like Coronado? Thank you for your reply.
There is a safari, but it is exclusively for AKL concierge (club level) guests. It is called The Wanyama Safari. You will often also hear it refereed to as the sunset safari. The cost is right around $200 per person and it is for ages 8 and up.

The buses are among the best on property as they only have 2 stops. One at Jambo House and one at Kidani. While the resort is a little farther away from the parks than the other resorts, it is only adds a few extra minutes.

Raegansmommy

Original Poster
There is a safari, but it is exclusively for AKL concierge (club level) guests. It is called The Wanyama Safari. You will often also hear it refereed to as the sunset safari. The cost is right around $200 per person and it is for ages 8 and up.

The buses are among the best on property as they only have 2 stops. One at Jambo House and one at Kidani. While the resort is a little farther away from the parks than the other resorts, it is only adds a few extra minutes.
Oh, that stinks.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Oh, that stinks.
Yeah, kind of. We have always wanted to do it, but we rarely stay club level and availability is scarce to boot.

They do however have a number of really nice public viewing areas in addition the the Savannah view rooms that don't cost a dime.

JaxFLBear

The Wanyama Safari was never exclusive to AKL Concierge Level. At one time, Concierge Level guests paid less.

The discontinued Sunrise Safari was exclusive to AKL Concierge Level guests.

Bob

Bo0bi3$
Premium Member
Thanks! Sadly you still have to be 8 :-(. Maybe next time.
These are some of the other things available at AKL:

Animal Viewing with Night Vision: A fun adventure with night vision goggles! 9-11pm daily on Uzima Overlook.

Cultural Safari: 30-40 minute presentations about their native homelands by AKL cultural representatives. Sunset Lounge at 8:30pm daily.

Kidani Community Hall: Open daily from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. this is the place for arts & crafts, videos & board games, and to pick up sporting equipment. A Daily Signature Craft is explored in the hall from 3:00 p.m. through 6:00 p.m. Additional information is available from your in-room phone if you call 7-6950.

Kids' Programs: With the addition of Kidani Village next door, Animal Kingdom Lodge has added/expanded two kids' activity programs. Neither are full child care like Simba's Clubhouse, but they might appeal to your little ones!:

• Camp Kidani: available to kids ages 6-12 years, 7 days per week from 6-8pm. Cost is $30 per child, and $28.50 for each additional child. Kids in this program work with a guide to achieve a goal pertaining to the culture and animals of Africa. Call 407-WDW-DINE for reservations (suggested, though same-day reservations may be available). There is a 24-hour cancellation policy. NOTE: Camp Kidani is discontinued as of October 1, 2010. AKL will likely replace the service with another activity, to be determined.
  • Bush Camp: available to kids ages 6-14 on Saturdays from 3-5pm. Cost is $30 per child, with $10 being donated to the Disney Wildlife Conservation Fund. The program includes an exploration of the resort's savanna, where kids will learn about African culture through activities, crafts, and taste testings. You can book this program by calling 407-WDW-PLAY; there is a 24-hour cancellation policy and DVC members get a 10% discount.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The Wanyama Safari was never exclusive to AKL Concierge Level. At one time, Concierge Level guests paid less.

The discontinued Sunrise Safari was exclusive to AKL Concierge Level guests.
Odd considering that the official site now shows it as "Now available to all guests".

I also tried to book it myself on several occasions and was told that you had to be a club level guest to book it.

Untitled.jpg

JaxFLBear

Now I am ticked as I tried to book this back in 2011 when my wife and I were there on a solo trip and was told we had to be club level to book.
From an old 2010 Disney Parks Blog post:
The Wanyama Safari is offered at 4 p.m., seven days a week to Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge Guests only. The experience is open to Guests age 8 and older, and costs $170 per person (price includes gratuity). For reservations, Guests can visit the concierge desk at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge upon check-in.
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...yama-safari-at-disney’s-animal-kingdom-lodge/

DisneyPrincess5

We stayed there once in November 2015. It is such a beautiful and peaceful place. We had a Savannah view room, loved the atmosphere including colors and ambiance, and the dining is of course awesome. Also, one of the most unique and expansive resort stores in my opinion.

While beautiful and we enjoyed our stay, that will likely be our only visit as we prefer to be closer to MK and use the monorail but we will continue dining at Boma to get our AKL fix.

Have an awesome trip!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom