Animal Kingdom Lodge Room Question

PBarton

Hey all! :wave:

We are staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge next month :sohappy:

We are booked into a "Standard" room. Are any of these standard rooms any good, location wise? Or do they all overlook the dumpsters... lol :lol:

What are the chances of being upgraded (free) to Savanah view upon arrival?

Thanks for any comments - you guys rule!:animwink:

Glasgow

We stayed in a standard room at AKL in Feb. We actually ended up with a view facing the pool, although that could be because it was during the slow season. It was pretty handy for getting to both the lobby and the pool -- no problems there. Not sure about the upgrade though - I didn't end up asking them for the upgrade and they didn't suggest it, so good luck with that!

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

The standard view rooms are just standard. You overlook a roof, parking lot, or some trees. The odds of getting upgraded are slim, but there is always a chance.

Upvote 0

TwoTigersMom

We stayed at AKL in April of 04, in a Savannah View room for 4 nights. The last night I went to the front desk and told them I had a major problem. We didn't want to leave! We loved it so much we wanted to stay one more night and it happened to be our anniversary. But we couldn't afford the Savannah view room, so I asked if they had any standard view rooms still available for the next night. He said he did and he had Savannah view rooms too. I told him again that we didn't feel we could afford the Savannah and extra night and he said "I know but didn't you say it was your anniversary?" I said yes and my husbands birthday and he said "well then Savannah it is at standard room rate!" I was sooo tickled! We had to move rooms, but just 3 doors down so it wasn't a big deal. Besides, we pretty much had everything packed anyway since it was a last minute decision to stay an extra night. I've heard people say ask for it and you might get it and I've heard others say if you ask you can be sure you won't get it. So either ask or just casually mention at check in how much you would have loved a Savannnah view room but with __________ (fill in the blank with buying school clothes or whatever) you just didn't feel you could afford it. If there's any special occasion like birthdays or anniversaries add that into the conversation too. Hope this helps. You'll lave AKL no matter where you stay though!

Upvote 0

PigletIsMyCat

DH and I stayed in a Savannah View room for our honeymoon in 2004. It was great for us, because we are insane about animals. We love them, and loved being able to wake up and see giraffes, or watch the tommies grazing in the dark before bed. But no matter where you stay in AKL, you will enjoy it. The theming is ridiculous, IMHO the best on property. And there are multiple places to watch the wildlife from that are easily accessible - and were never that busy when I was there.

You can try for a free upgrade, but don't hold your breath for it, especially for next month, since May is when the crowds really start to build. I would suggest as soon as you check in, make a comment about an upgrade like HagansMommie suggested. If that is shot down, then politely request a room closer to the lobby or close to an elevator bank. My Savannah View room was a really, really far walk from the lobby, hard after a long, hot day at the parks. But a room too close to the main areas might be a little loud. The Ostrich Trail area of the resort has some rooms that overlook a small savannah, and are not too far a walk from check-in. You might want to check if there are any rooms available there. And, don't forget to call now with your room requests, so that they are on file when you check-in, but remember that if you request a specific amenity (ie: king size bed) rooms like this are sometimes all in one part of the resort. Smoking Savannah rooms seem to be the furthest away.

Upvote 0

PBarton

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies...

It IS our Honeymoon (We get married 28th April and arrive at WDW on the 5th May). So maybe we should drop that into the conversation!

No probs if we don't get the upgrade, we are really lucky to be able to stay at a Deluxe this time anyway, can't wait!

:wave:

Upvote 0

T-1MILLION

The views and experiance from the savannah lodges are great. I loved it.

But if all else fails and you do not get the room upgrade you can get good views from the savannah animal viewing areas outside that thehotel rooms overlook. It is still pretty cool.

-Preston:wave:

Upvote 0

Tigger64

We were upgraded from poolview to savannah view last June which is a busier time than May. There is hope. Maybe you'll go from standard to poolview. We didn't ask for it. It had been assigned when we arrived. The bell hop did comment that people checking in late received more upgrades, but who knows if that is correct. One reason I am sure we had this room is that it overlooked a "people pen" and I'm sure those paying for the view wouldn't like this room. We thought it was excellent. It was overlooking the sunset sav (think that's the name). It was great. We loved it.

AKL is amazing! Have a wonderful time.

Do you have it on your reservation that it's your honeymoon?

Upvote 0

Computer Magic

We went in 2002 to AKL...We booked a Savannah Standard and was upgraded to a Deluxe Savannah without asking :sohappy:

So there is always a chance. It depends on what is available when checking in.

Upvote 0

SpenceMan01

PBarton said:

It IS our Honeymoon (We get married 28th April and arrive at WDW on the 5th May). So maybe we should drop that into the conversation!

No probs if we don't get the upgrade, we are really lucky to be able to stay at a Deluxe this time anyway, can't wait!

Congrats!

Please post back on here and let us know what ends up happening. I am doing the SAME thing you are for our honeymoon next January!

Upvote 0

peters

For what it's worth, I've stayed at AKL twice and been upgraded from a standard to savannah both times. It's a bit risky, but you could just go standard and ask if there are any upgrades available. If not... and there's room, you could always just pony up the extra dough on the spot. Just an idea... either way, you'll love it there! Also, don't get scared-off by folks who say it's too far from the parks... the buses are all direct to and from the resort and we've never had a long wait. Have a great time!!!

Upvote 0

jesserin

PBarton said:

um... YEAH!!!! I would make sure they have it marked on everything! If anybody's getting an upgrade... it'll be y'all... I mean seriously - we were in Disney on our honeymoon as well (in '03) and our hotel Manager went out of his way to improve and meet every request we had put in our reservation... it was magical! You will love all the wonderful things (small, but wonderful) the hotels do for honeymooners! Congratulations and Yes! make sure your reservation states Honeymooning and when you check in, don't be shy - they will want to know such an important occassion! :)

Upvote 0

PBarton

Original Poster
jesserin said:
um... YEAH!!!! I would make sure they have it marked on everything! If anybody's getting an upgrade... it'll be y'all... I mean seriously - we were in Disney on our honeymoon as well (in '03) and our hotel Manager went out of his way to improve and meet every request we had put in our reservation... it was magical! You will love all the wonderful things (small, but wonderful) the hotels do for honeymooners! Congratulations and Yes! make sure your reservation states Honeymooning and when you check in, don't be shy - they will want to know such an important occassion! :)
Thank you for the kind words...

:)

Upvote 0

jesserin

PBarton said:
Thank you for the kind words...

:)

no problem! :) seriously - y'all are going to have the time of your lives - you have so much to look forward to! (What an awsome way to start out your marriage right? ;)) By the way - Be sure to eat at the Garden Grill in Epcot sometime during your stay - and mention the honeymoon - I won't give anything away... but they really celebrate the occassion! :D

EDIT: oh yeah- the Sci-Fi really does up Honeymoon'ing too! :) Like I said before - don't be shy, mention it everywhere and you'll see what I mean about everything being so magical... Honeymooning in WDW is THE best ever! :)

Upvote 0

SpenceMan01

jesserin said:
don't be shy, mention it everywhere and you'll see what I mean about everything being so magical... Honeymooning in WDW is THE best ever! :)

Or just wear the hats. Then it's pretty much a given and you don't have to say anything!

Upvote 0

Kadee

Hi PBarton! :wave: Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! Hope your honeymoon is perfect! DEFINITELY tell them it is your honeymoon! You never know what you may get!

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I've stayed there a few times in different room catagories. Standard Savannah, Deluxe Savannah and Concierge with a Savannah view.

I book a lot of Honeymooners and they usually do have luck getting upgraded. I always add that it is their honeymoon, so make sure that you either call or contact your travel agent to have it notated on your reservation. You can also contact www.disneyflorist.com to have something special waiting in the room for your special trip.

AKL is my favorite Disney Resort. I love the theming and they do a wonderful job here. I took my family down for ESPN weekend at the beginning of March and we had a great time. My husband enjoyed getting up in the morning and seeing the animals on the savannah from the balcony.

You will love it at AKL. Good luck on getting an upgrade and Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials.

Pam

Upvote 0

DanStat

I love AKL. Don't count on getting an upgrade just to get the room type you want. If you want a savannah or pool view room, book it. That way, you won't end up disappointed when you see the animal waste area outside your window every night. :animwink:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom