Animal Kingdom a sleeping Giant!!!

ToTallToSlow112

Original Poster
Looking back at the history of the Walt Disney Co's theme parks I've noticed one trend that always presents it self. That is the new theme park starts out slow with only one or two good rides and then boom!!!! It gets a couple great E-rides and people spend alitte more time there, maybe even appreciating the less extravagent attractions and lossing their selves in the theme. This happened with Epcot which is finally hitting this level of greatness. It also happened with Disney Studios at quite a speedy rate. Honestly do any of us remeber when Disney Studios was two attractions? did people feel the same way about it back then that they feel about Animal Kingdom.
This brings me to my point. Disney's Animal Kingdom is in my oppinion the most beautifuly designed and themed park, next only to the Magic Kingdom. But even I only spend a half day there. It just lacks E-Rides, it has two great attractions and such an amazing atmosphere but in the end its only a half day park. Now with Everest in construction is Animal Kingdom about to hit that boom that other parks have seen. I think so. Could this be another inteligent Disney plan or just accidental magic. Either way next time I go to WDW I plan on giving Animal Kingdom a better chance.
So do you think Animal Kingdom is going to become a magical park, or just be a second rate Disney Failure? Can we ignore this trend, do you think this is just another part of the Disney plan or do you think they messed up from the beginning? let me here your views.

TTA_addict

I think you are right on the money TooTall,
All of the other disney parks started off slow and then once they got their trademark attractions they took off. I think that Everest will be just what the doctor ordered for the Animal Kingdom, and in just a few years it will de one of the best and most crowded parks. It is only a matter of time.

I think they should also think about putting some underwater attractions into the mix. Sort of a Living Seas type ride,but with a little more story and style

Badger Brent

I also like AK a lot. That being said, what were they thinking with the Dino-rama area!? I know it's been talked about to death, but it has no place or fit into AK at all. I would have liked it a lot more if they would have put more time and money into a beastly kingdom like grizz said. Could you imagine if they would have done it right and put some thought into the theme. Our family will by-pass this section all together every trip. They seem to have pulled their head out of their @**'* and have taken the right approach to EE. Wipe out Dinoland and start over!! Retheme the roller coaster ride to a new theme and move on.
Yes, it's a sleeping giant that needs to be redone a little before it's a huge success.

Kramjam33

I think Animal Kingdom already has its magic, but it does have so much potential in being even greater. It is a sleeping giant for sure.

DarkMeasures

Just Imagine if some of the planned rides get built. There still seems room for Excavater (can someone post me info on the ride though, I know nothing about it) and Beastly Kingdom is just begging to be built...

And Living Seas should be moved to Animal Kingdom, maybe for Australia.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
A Diamond in the Rough

All posts are right on!
Add a dark ride in Africa - Lion King sounds good
For Asia - Jungle Book
Then for Mystical Kingdom... a Narnia dark ride, Reign of Fire E ride, Hercules dark ride (more real Hercules with bestiary, less Hercules animation), even Harry Potter "magical creatures" dark ride.
While I spend no time in Dino-rama, it does seem to be popular with the younger ones. It strikes me in the same vein as the boneyard which I have no use for but the kids are there...and I don't hear anyone bashing that.
You could even add a water ride with dinosaurs that is less "intimidating" to the younger set then Dinosaur (which I think is great) that is more themed to the movie dinosaur...even having the talking dinosaurs and lemurs.

There you have it! A full two day park!

DarkMeasures

My sister once forced me to ride Primevil Whril 5 times in a row. After the fifth time, I was pretty sick..... Spinny makes your stomach into the blender of evel that will spill!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spill!!!!!!!!! Spilll!!!!!!

But I love the ride. I knoe the original context of Dinoland was lost but everything there fits into one overall story. But maybe several high walls could be built bordering Dinorama so that the area gets it's older look.

OH here is somerthing interesting, I was at Animal Kingdom when When Dinorama construction started and when Everest construction started.

BigNorm

The sky's the limit for AK, there's no doubt about it. Everest is going to be huge, no pun intended, and who knows what the Imagineers have on the boards after the Yeti invades. It's an exciting time for AK. Things I'd love to see @ AK in the next ten to fifteen years: Australia, Beastly Kingdom (for God sakes it's time), and another E-Ticket (not sure what it could be though).

On a side note, I figued a WDW Soarin' clone was inevitable, so I'm very disappointed about it going to Epcot in the Land. I always had the delusion that it would be an E for AK. Sorta a "Soarin' Over the Outback" in Australia, so again I ask, what would be the big attraction for an Australian land in AK?

I also like Primeval Whirl. It's cheesy, but it makes me smile.

Lee

Adventurer
Originally posted by DarkMeasures
There still seems room for Excavater (can someone post me info on the ride though, I know nothing about it)

Excavator: Small wooden coaster for Dinoland. Was to run in and around the Dig Site. Themed as a mine train. Unlikely now for obvious reasons.

DarkMeasures

The relocation of The Living Seas. Remember, Australia has the largest reef on the planet. And plus, isn't the Living Seas a little out of place in Epcot since Animal Kingdom opened?

Bill

Account Suspended
Nemo is based in the Land Down Under... perfect place for one. :)

There are plans for Australia to be built between Africa & Camp Minnie-Mickey... Don't ask how, it doesn't seem to have enough room to me, but none the less, it's planned. It's kinda early for a date though, but prob. before 2010. :)

cherrynegra

I have to say that AK is my personal favorite. I love this park. It's the best!! And I agree that there is a lot of potential here. My one caveat with the whole park is DinoLand. What is this? It just doesn't fit in with the rest of the park and almost feels as if some whole other themed land from another park got dropped in by hurricane. Even if they wanted to do a dinosaur themed land, they could have imagined it a whole lot better rather than going with some early century road side attraction.

BigNorm

Originally posted by cherrynegra
I have to say that AK is my personal favorite. I love this park. It's the best!! And I agree that there is a lot of potential here. My one caveat with the whole park is DinoLand. What is this? It just doesn't fit in with the rest of the park and almost feels as if some whole other themed land from another park got dropped in by hurricane. Even if they wanted to do a dinosaur themed land, they could have imagined it a whole lot better rather than going with some early century road side attraction.

What? I think the concept behind DinoLand is great, minus Chester and Hester's Dino-rama. However, even Dino-rama, I hate to admit it, has it's place in DinoLand. The whole thing has a story, I didn't know this until a little while ago, but it does. The "early century roadside attraction" was an afterthought, kinda obvious ain't it? You can't have an animal park w/o including the dinosaurs and I think the Dino Institute and even Chester and Hester, pre-Dino-rama, are a great way to bring the dinos into AK. However, I do wish they had something like Universal IoA's Jurassic Park: Triceratops Encounter. If I hadn't known better I would've sworn that triceratops was real.

jrriddle

Must lose Dinoland. What an eyesore on such a beautiful park.
Like the Lion King reide idea. Like the Jungle Book ride idea.
Would like to see Beastly Kingdom.
I would prefer Noeth America to Australia. The area from Canada's Artic to Mexico covers alot of animals, alot of possibilites.

BrerBear

There is currently lots of space above the Everest, just right of the African Safari ride. Take a look at this map to see how much there is.
http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=8819&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1
I have updated the map to include the location of Everest, the path, and the new buildings. The rest is all my imagination. I figure they should build a huge lake and call it the Ocean. That way they can have a huge ocean section of the park, and put tons of rides under water, a la 20,000 LUTS.

Any ideas from you guys?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom