Animal Kindoms Dinosaur Ride

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
I love Dinosaur and it is on my WDW top 10 but I am a bit concerned. Everytime I have rode it the lines have been verry short. Should I be concerned, is this an issue or is it the way the lines flow.

lilclerk

I think the shortest I've ever seen that line is 30 minutes... not too bad. The line also moves fairly quickly in my experience. And with Everest as the new headliner, I don't think it's too surprising that the lines would drop a bit.

_Scar

In November, DAK was pretty busy and yet Dino only had a 5 minute wait around 2 pm.

It does concern me, quite a lot.

Hmmmm..... I would hate to see Dinosaur go. It's a pretty awesome attraction, even without all of its effects...

Then again, I wouldn't mind seeing an improved version of the Indiana Jones ride from Disneyland (you know, the bigger and badder one rumored for the studios).

But then AK would be down another attraction, and they are already short on their attraction line-up.

What to do?

Rob562

It's more of where it was placed, strategically. The attraction is in an offbeat (and bushy) path, away from other activity in Dinoland.

It is popular, but along with Everest as a new-ish major attraction, it only decreases the traffic flow there.

That being said, yesterday, the line for Dinosaur fluctuated from 20 minutes to 10, and back up to 20. Like previously stated, it's also the rapidity of the line itself.

I think that's the #1 reason for its low attendance. While it never had HUGE crowds before (I remember visiting the park in the off-season in its openeing year, and we were able to ride three times in a row, only having to wait for the next pre-show to admit us each time we got in line), since the addition to the tacky Dinorama section of Dinoland, I think the crowds have been even more lacking on anything but the busiest days.

Here's how I see it:

Many Guests don't specifically plan their days out or follow the park maps. They just wander around, perhaps with a general idea of where they're going and what they want to see, coming across attractions as they go.

When you enter from Discovery Island under Oldengate Bridge, the path splits. To the right, around a curve or two along a heavilty-foliaged path, you have Dinosaur/CTX. To the left, you have a straight-shot to the bright, loud, attention-grabbing Dinorama. Easily-distracted Guests will naturally be attracted to the bright, shiny object of Dinorama, and head there. Once done with Dinorama, they'll continue walking in the direction they were going, around to Expedition Everest.

In the other direction, Guests are approaching from Everest. They'll head into Dinorama, again because it's bright and loud, and it's the first thing they see. Once they're done with Dinorama, they'll head out toward the dig site play area. At this point, to get to Dinosaur, they'd have to make a sharp U-turn to the left to go back there. Many do not do that, and they simply follow the path out of Dinoland toward Discovery Island.

I think crowd flow could work much better if they re-designed the entire triangular area of paths and trees between the play area, Dinosaur and Dinorama (this area also includes the Cretaceous Trail). If Dinorama is to stay long-term, re-work the paths so that it's not as visible when entering the land from Discovery Island. Move the entrance gates to Dinosaur so that you at least walk directly past them on your way to/from Dinorama, making people stop and wonder "hey, what's that over there? Looks like a big building, might be a big ride inside". I think a re-name back to Countdown to Extinction might also put the idea in peoples' heads that it might be something a bit more thrilling than "just something about dinosaurs...sounds dull and educational".

-Rob

bongojoe

Dino Ride

wow...I'll take those 10-20 minute waits! When I went last year in March I waited for the Dino ride for an hour and a half! I DID get sunburned because the line traveled from the sidewalk outside of the building. I'm guessing it's all in the time of year when you go and time of day as well.
I definitely hope it stays though, as it is one of my top 10 rides as well :wave:

memster

I've never been on this ride and I always put it on my todo list. I think like Rob 562 said it doesn't stick out on the path which in turn makes me forget.

Dinoman96

I doubt Dinosaur will be leaving anytime soon...although...

I hate how Disney barely advertises Dinosaur. Look at the video on Animal Kingdom's page on the WDW site, it just mentions Dinosaur one time. Same thing with that crappy 2007 planning video (Then again, they were too busy going on and on about how magical WDW is :lookaroun). Just one mention...

Future Guy

Nah, it was that darn sink hole... :lookaroun

No, it was because GE pulled out, Eisner didn't want to fund a refurb in 1994, and when it was decided that Mission:Space would replace Horizons, it seemed cheaper to tear down the existing pavilion and build a new one instead of trying to fit the new ride into the existing building. At least, that's how I think it went. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

As for Dinosaur (what a stupid name, BTW. It's like calling EE "Mountain") it's a continuously-loading ride. The lack of long wait times means that it's working the way it's supposed to.

rodserling27

Low attendance in the #1 killer of attractions. Right now I can only think of 2 attractions that died for reasons other than low guest counts.
I can think of plenty of Epcot attractions that should go the way of Dodo bird due to low attendance....but i won't get into that.

I've never really had too bad of a wait for Dino/CTX, except for the very first time I was in DAK. I don't think they'd ever get rid of it, it's such an awesome attraction! Now, if only all the FX were working and it was called CTX....:lol:

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
No, it was because GE pulled out, Eisner didn't want to fund a refurb in 1994, and when it was decided that Mission:Space would replace Horizons, it seemed cheaper to tear down the existing pavilion and build a new one instead of trying to fit the new ride into the existing building. At least, that's how I think it went. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

As for Dinosaur (what a stupid name, BTW. It's like calling EE "Mountain") it's a continuously-loading ride. The lack of long wait times means that it's working the way it's supposed to.
Yes, I know. I was joking. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom