"Animal Incident" closes Safari

Status
Not open for further replies.

kverdon

Original Poster
Hi all,

We were at AK yesterday and headed right to Kilimanjaro Safaris right as the park opened. We were rather surprised to find out that the ride was down due to an "animal incident". The ride was down for about an hour. Checking with a CM we were told that the "Animal Incident" was an Okapi that had escaped and was over visiting the Greater Kudu. They had to round him up. We heard a number of CM's saying "well that is a first" so it must be rather rare. Having the Safari down for an hour at the first of the day seemed to throw the tempo of the park off. Even at this time of year, the ride had a 50 minute wait time the rest of the morning / early afternoon.

later,

Kevin and Mona

maelstrom

There's a guy who works at the store we just bought our new carpet from, and he used to work on the safari. He said that one time a cheetah (I think that was it... a big cat, anyhow) got out of it's area and wouldn't come when they called it. So I guess the safari was shut for like an hour and all of these people were trapped. I'm guessing they finally rounded up the cheetah.

maelstrom

I've always thought that the ride would be more fun if they issued toy guns. Maybe like a buzz ride where you could score points by taking out the largest game. They need to do something to jazz it up some. Even my kid fell asleep on it the last time.

You can't possibly be serious... :brick:

Capt. Salty

I've always thought that the ride would be more fun if they issued toy guns. Maybe like a buzz ride where you could score points by taking out the largest game. They need to do something to jazz it up some. Even my kid fell asleep on it the last time.

And for the PC crowd, the groups could be sorted into "gun-toting" and "non-gun-toting" cars so not to offend people.
uh....that might put their status w/the major wildlife groups that help fund research and such, in jeopardy. Doubt you would ever see that, since the anti-poaching/game reserve theme is very prominant.

col

Hi all,

We were at AK yesterday and headed right to Kilimanjaro Safaris right as the park opened. We were rather surprised to find out that the ride was down due to an "animal incident". The ride was down for about an hour. Checking with a CM we were told that the "Animal Incident" was an Okapi that had escaped and was over visiting the Greater Kudu. They had to round him up. We heard a number of CM's saying "well that is a first" so it must be rather rare.

i know all the animals are separated but is there something in the greater kudu savannah that would harm or kill the okapi?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
At least it did not wander into the lion exhibit. The safari guides would have had to go jungle cruise skipper on the guests.

"Look at the lions watching over the sleeping Okapi"

:lol:

cmatt

I've always thought those Okapis were nothing but trouble...

i reckon it was the giraffe's tbh... they seem the sort.... one threw me the horns - *badoom tsh*

- you can only work with what you got *sigh*

eroyee

And for the PC crowd, the groups could be sorted into "gun-toting" and "non-gun-toting" cars so not to offend people.
Thats a terrible idea!!!! I think it was all Tigger's fault anyway.

hcswingfield

At least it did not wander into the lion exhibit. The safari guides would have had to go jungle cruise skipper on the guests.

"Look at the lions watching over the sleeping Okapi"

:lol:

The lions have had their meat handed to them for so long - would they even know what to do with something alive that could run?:lookaroun

maelstrom

And it's not real. However, you can't deny that there is a large hunting population that would appreciate that. I even once read (long ago, sorry, no link) that the original plans at WDW were to include a deer hunt over by the Cabins. It just got too built up too soon and became a safety issue.

There's also a large population of child molesters who would love it if there was free-for-all molesting in WDW; doesn't make it right. Also, there's hunters, and then there's hunters. My dad will go hunting once per deer season, and if he gets one, fine, and if he doesn't, oh well. Same thing with turkeys and the like. He would never, ever hunt a giraffe, elephant, zebra, okapi, ostrich, etc. I personally wouldn't hunt any animal. But I don't think most people, deer hunter or not, would be alright with hunting the animals found on the safari.

And I have never, ever heard of a "deer hunt" planned for WDW.

Disneyfan1981

Personally I don't think there is a need to make KS any more campy. The part about the baby Elephant is already enough to make you giggle and breaks the illusion. While the ride isn't exactly a heart pounder it is dynamic and different almost everytime you ride it. The last time we has Ostriches (sp?) right next to the tram and it was a cool sight to see.....

If they wanted to open a separate Buzz Lightyearesque right with hunting game that's different, although I think it wouldn't fit with the caring and eco-friendly nature that the park has established but leave the Safari alone...

I can just imagine the sight of a beautiful animal walking up to the safari vehicle and a bunch of toy-gun-toting -sapiens leaning closer to pretend to blow its brains out.

I'd explain the beauty of the Kilimangaro Safari, but a nod is an good as a wink to a blind horse.

CAPTAIN HOOK

I've always thought that the ride would be more fun if they issued toy guns.

H*ll - why not issue real guns and the guest who bags the most kills at the end of the ride gets a free Fast Pass for Everest - that would sure liven things up

I think not

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Perhaps Disney could just build a hunting range using all the child molesters that are seemingly roaming around near Maelstrom as targets.

JML42691

Are you kidding me? You do know that one of the main points of Animal Kingdom is the importance of animals and preserving their lives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom