Angels tell Anaheim they're opting out of their lease on Angel Stadium

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don't care what excuses you have bruh hockey deserves some love too! šŸ’šŸŗ
Well I can't help it if NHL teams actually name themselves based on their real location.

The closest to what we're talking about with NHL teams is the Vegas Knight which actually plays in Paradise. But really Paradise is an unincorporated part of Las Vegas. So it only counts because its not in Las Vegas proper.

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/10/19/anaheim-should-tell-the-angels-good-riddance/

>>
I hope Anaheim city leadership treats the Angels just like Walt Disney Co. and tells the baseball team ā€œno more handouts.ā€

The Angels told the city they want out of their stadium lease after the 2019 season. Supposedly, the city-owned Angel Stadium doesnā€™t meet its fansā€™ needs. Nobodyā€™s that dumb. Itā€™s clear this is a ploy to make baseball in Anaheim more profitable for billionaire owner Arte Moreno.

If I were, say, the god of Anaheim ā€¦ Iā€™d quickly take the Angels up on their lease termination and tell them today, without any negotiations, they should have their bags packed once the baseball season ends in 2019.

I wouldnā€™t see this as Anaheim ā€œlosingā€ the Angels. Iā€™d view it as the city trading an aging veteran for more promising prospects in the real estate game.

Now you might be thinking, ā€œJon, didnā€™t you recently write that the city was foolish for hardball tactics with Disney?ā€

Yes, I think Anaheim goofed in essentially rejecting plans for a luxury hotel at Disneylandā€™s gates that would have yielded the city $100 million-plus in hotel taxes over 20 years. Killing the hotel was a lose-lose for the company and the city from what could have been a mutually beneficial partnership.

But Iā€™ve long believed professional sports stadiums are almost universally ā€œwinsā€ for rich team owners and ā€œlosersā€ for taxpayers who build, own and maintain such facilities.

And in Southern California, circa 2018, the Angel Stadium site ā€” with a hip urban feel thatā€™s close to mass-transit and three freeways ā€” is real estate gold the city can mine in numerous ways far more lucrative than owning a sports stadium.

Plus, the Angels under Morenoā€™s watch have not been a perfect tenant.<<

More at the link

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/10/19/anaheim-should-tell-the-angels-good-riddance/

>>
I hope Anaheim city leadership treats the Angels just like Walt Disney Co. and tells the baseball team ā€œno more handouts.ā€

The Angels told the city they want out of their stadium lease after the 2019 season. Supposedly, the city-owned Angel Stadium doesnā€™t meet its fansā€™ needs. Nobodyā€™s that dumb. Itā€™s clear this is a ploy to make baseball in Anaheim more profitable for billionaire owner Arte Moreno.

If I were, say, the god of Anaheim ā€¦ Iā€™d quickly take the Angels up on their lease termination and tell them today, without any negotiations, they should have their bags packed once the baseball season ends in 2019.

I wouldnā€™t see this as Anaheim ā€œlosingā€ the Angels. Iā€™d view it as the city trading an aging veteran for more promising prospects in the real estate game.

Now you might be thinking, ā€œJon, didnā€™t you recently write that the city was foolish for hardball tactics with Disney?ā€

Yes, I think Anaheim goofed in essentially rejecting plans for a luxury hotel at Disneylandā€™s gates that would have yielded the city $100 million-plus in hotel taxes over 20 years. Killing the hotel was a lose-lose for the company and the city from what could have been a mutually beneficial partnership.

But Iā€™ve long believed professional sports stadiums are almost universally ā€œwinsā€ for rich team owners and ā€œlosersā€ for taxpayers who build, own and maintain such facilities.

And in Southern California, circa 2018, the Angel Stadium site ā€” with a hip urban feel thatā€™s close to mass-transit and three freeways ā€” is real estate gold the city can mine in numerous ways far more lucrative than owning a sports stadium.

Plus, the Angels under Morenoā€™s watch have not been a perfect tenant.<<

More at the link

With your knowledge and expertise, say you were God of Anaheim (which I would've believed), would you strike up a deal with Disney to have them take the property, or would you leave the land to the city of Anaheim for future development or future sports team implementation?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
With your knowledge and expertise, say you were God of Anaheim (which I would've believed), would you strike up a deal with Disney to have them take the property, or would you leave the land to the city of Anaheim for future development or future sports team implementation?

I don't think that should be questioned, @Darkbeer1 is one of the Gods of Anaheim..... :cool:

TP2000

The riverbed got cleaned out, thank goodness. Alas, they have spread out. My local park has a serious homeless issue now.

We see them here in Villa Park and east Orange too. The Orange PD is great at keeping them in check, but there are so many that just wander around in a drugged daze that it's hard to manage. Villa Park is too small to have its own police, so we use the County Sheriff's department, but they aren't much help. It's really up to the city of Orange to keep the druggies and homeless moving along, but it's a never ending battle.

This was NEVER a thing until about 5 or 7 years ago. I've lived in Villa Park for 25+ years, had family in east Orange for 50+ years, and the sight of crazy druggy homeless guys yelling at bus stops on Tustin Avenue was never a thing until the early 2010's. There's strong evidence of how that happened in the 2010's and where all these (predominantly white) people came from (not Southern California) and why (federal government insurance rehab programs), but that's for another thread.

As for Anaheim Stadium, it's really like Anaheim City Hall just wants to kill every golden goose they have. They've soured the relationship with Disneyland almost to the point of no return, the Angels want out badly, etc. I wouldn't be half surprised if an Anaheim city councilman announced he wants to shut down the city-owned Anaheim Convention Center and turn it into a 10,000 bed homeless shelter and heroin needle exchange center for all of Southern California instead.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No

Darkbeer1

I would sit down with Arte Moreno and tell him I want a Win-Win deal, where the city gets a good steady income in return for the rights to all the current City Owned Land at the Stadium site. He would be able to build a new Ballpark that is suitable for concerts, Motorcross events , the Harvest Festival (Christian) and for Convention Center big events, such as the NAMM Show and Comic-Con if the city gets it. He could also develop a part of the land for a Mixed Use project. Plus a large Parking Structure with enough parking for the Ballpark plus the Mixed Use project, then a few thousand more spaces that could be used for city needs, such as Honda Center overflow, Convention Center overflow, Disney overflow, etc. The city would collect a share of the parking structure and mixed use project income.

If an Angels deal could not be made, I would talk to others, including UCLA Football, Disney, and anyone else interested in a large piece of land.

I would be open to a tax incentive program, where the city gives back some of the tax revenue generated by the project, but only for a set period, when after that, the city gets the whole thing. Also, the city retains ownership, and all zoning and other oversite.

So to recap, I would try and make a deal with Mr. Moreno, but if that fails, then place the property to all comers for a lease package, and give Disney a minor advantage due to the current relationship, plus being able to trade things, such as more land for the Convention Center, parking needs for the Convention Center, and for improved street traffic, such as Gene Autry Way and street widening where needed, such as the Pumbaa Structure and vehicles exiting the Cleo Structure. And yes, 4 Diamond Hotel Rooms for the Convention Center.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The almighty @Darkbeer1 himself cast doubt on this title, stating "If I were, say, the god of Anaheim ..." :D
He was quoting the OC Register article, not casting doubt on his own godly status in the realm of Anaheim.

True - 1 and 3 so far. My Sharkies just got the best defenseman in the league and we're only 3 - 3.. still no cup :(

I'm a Sharks fan as well....

Darkbeer1

I don't think that should be questioned, @Darkbeer1 is one of the Gods of Anaheim..... :cool:

YIKES, I am not sure I would want to be one, based on the Progressive held Mayoral Debate last night, the audience was strange, though the unions packed the house with folks who don't even live in Anaheim.

At least tonight, I get to go to The Ranch Restaurant with Lisa for a NON political event... Though the amount spent on a new dress and other things equals the free meal and drinks we get... 17 days left to go before I get my evenings (well, some of them) back.

Darkbeer1

We see them here in Villa Park and east Orange too. The Orange PD is great at keeping them in check, but there are so many that just wander around in a drugged daze that it's hard to manage. Villa Park is too small to have its own police, so we use the County Sheriff's department, but they aren't much help. It's really up to the city of Orange to keep the druggies and homeless moving along, but it's a never ending battle.

This was NEVER a thing until about 5 or 7 years ago. I've lived in Villa Park for 25+ years, had family in east Orange for 50+ years, and the sight of crazy druggy homeless guys yelling at bus stops on Tustin Avenue was never a thing until the early 2010's. There's strong evidence of how that happened in the 2010's and where all these (predominantly white) people came from (not Southern California) and why (federal government insurance rehab programs), but that's for another thread.

As for Anaheim Stadium, it's really like Anaheim City Hall just wants to kill every golden goose they have. They've soured the relationship with Disneyland almost to the point of no return, the Angels want out badly, etc. I wouldn't be half surprised if an Anaheim city councilman announced he wants to shut down the city-owned Anaheim Convention Center and turn it into a 10,000 bed homeless shelter and heroin needle exchange center for all of Southern California instead.

First off, as to the last paragraph, too true. But of course staffed by Union Workers making $25 a hour or more.

As for the Homeless, a lot of blame can be placed on Prop 47, 57and SB 104, along with the Progressives using the Homeless to claim that Housing is a Human Right, etc.... (Let's leave it at that, so The Mom doesn't get mad at us for discussing non-Anaheim politics.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
YIKES, I am not sure I would want to be one, based on the Progressive held Mayoral Debate last night, the audience was strange, though the unions packed the house with folks who don't even live in Anaheim.

At least tonight, I get to go to The Ranch Restaurant with Lisa for a NON political event... Though the amount spent on a new dress and other things equals the free meal and drinks we get... 17 days left to go before I get my evenings (well, some of them) back.

I'll fully admit I'm left leaning in my political ideology, but politics in Anaheim is too far left in my opinion. So yeah the unions do need to get out of the political game and get back to what their core is suppose to be, the workers... Unite Here has been posted outside several major hotels around the Bay Area this election cycle. I'm surprised they haven't been told to move as they've been blocking the entrance preventing hotel goers from entering the building.

But you are a god among men in terms of Anaheim politics and Disney.... :cool:

Darkbeer1

The The Angels Angels. Always makes me snicker.

I have a nickname for them, the LAA-LAA's, playing off the official team initials....

Also my Chargers (I was born and spent my first 40 years there, growing up as a Chargers and Aztecs fan), the LAC's....

Darkbeer1

OK, just out of the Shower, so IF no deal with the Angels can be made, here is the Partnership I would propose to Disney. (BLUE SKY)

The City of Anaheim would build a SUPER Parking Structure (More than likely a set of them on the Angel Stadium land, and if room, also a mixed use project, using Disney or someone else to build it in return for a share of the profits. (Housing required).

I would want the Ball and Harbor property for city use (next to the CM Lot is a school and Social Security Office, so build a new facility on the combined land).

The Pumbaa Structure would not be built, but now the entire land becomes a Transit Center with a large security check for Disney.

The Mickey and Friends and Cleo Structures now become parking ONLY for CM's and registered Hotel Guests. All Theme Park Guests park now in the city owned structure.

Simba is now open for Development, say a 4 Diamond Hotel that ties into the Convention Center (so no wild theming, more muted). But still room for a couple other Hotels.

The Katella Lot and part of Toy Story now opens up for theme park development, though maybe switch the Simba project, so Hotels here, and the Theme Park off Disneyland Drive.

Make Gene Autry curve if needed to connect it to Convention Way.

Convention Center expansion where its current Parking Structures are.

Disney required to build multiple Pedestrian Bridges in the resort area, including multiple ones over Harbor near the Transit Center.

And the kicker, help build a new elevated light rail system in Anaheim. Multiple tracks to go to the following.

One spur would go down Gene Autry to Harbor and head north. Stops at the Convention Center, the new Transit Plaza on Manchester. Selected trains then go up to Broadway or Lincoln and head west to Beach and the planned 39 Commons site. If Buena Park becomes a partner, then a stop at Knott's and the new Butterfly Pavilion. Buena Park runs a shuttle from the Butterfly Pavillion to the Source and Buena Park Downtown Shopping Malls.

Another would go to the Honda Center (ARTIC would use the parking structure directly), then to Downtown Anaheim and the Ctr City/Packing District. End at the Harbor/Lincoln Station to connect to the main line.

Give OCTA permission to continue its new light rail from Santa Ana to use elevated tracks to the convention Center Stop and transfer.

Fullerton and Anaheim could partner for a train from the Fullerton Transit Center down Harbor to the Lincoln Station.

City gets all parking revenue at the Super Parking Structure, plus would operate the Train System. Disney could opt to pay for its guests in a lump sum, based on turnstile counts.

The Parking Structure would commit to only handicapped spaces on the level that the train station is on so no need for elevators or any sloped ground. At other stations, elevated bridge pathways or ADA sloped ramps. (Elevators area a pain,and can be GROSS (using LA Metro as a good example, smells like a badly kept restroom, because of its second use...)

This provides a new, LARGE steady stream of income, which would cover the low interest bonds used to build everything, operating expenses, plus a share to go straight to the General Fund.

Also maybe get Disney to voluntarily agree to agate tax to provide even more revenue.

In return, state that no PLA's can be used to build things, and to add wording to the city charter that makes Anaheim a right to work city in return for a higher minimum wage in the resort district, say $2 more than the State's minimum.

Also "God" would get unlimited visits and free food/drink at all Disney owned properties ;)

Need to get going, a lot to flesh out, but something I see as a win-win for everyone, including locals near Anaheim that deal with traffic in the area. (Build direct on/off ramps from the I-5, and the 57.)

Edited to add - The Parking Structure Trams would convert to a Backstage Tram system, so instead of turning towards DtD, head through the Gate and circle around the resort.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom