Angels tell Anaheim they're opting out of their lease on Angel Stadium

Phroobar

C'mon out to Corona/Eastvale Angels. I'm sure we can find a spot out here for you.
e84f64cc-6d6a-44ab-9b18-b3d10c7e1882.jpg

Darkbeer1

Sitting at a Mayorial Debate run by Progressive groups. You wouldn't like the solutions offered.

Heck, the answer might be to turn the stadium site to low income housing...

jkl2000

They need to stop calling them The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Just call them the Anaheim Angels and leave any association with Los Angeles out of it!

I'm not a big baseball fan (only a sometimes Yankees fan), so I thought they were still called the California Angels. The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim is a crazily cumbersome name! Wow. I actually never even thought of how weird it is that some teams are named for the state their in, and some are named just for the city their in, in other sports as well. How did that happen? Wouldn't you want the whole state to feel like you were their team?

Phroobar

I'm not a big baseball fan (only a sometimes Yankees fan), so I thought they were still called the California Angels. The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim is a crazily cumbersome name! Wow. I actually never even thought of how weird it is that some teams are named for the state their in, and some are named just for the city their in, in other sports as well. How did that happen? Wouldn't you want the whole state to feel like you were their team?
It got changed in 1997 to Anaheim Angels when Disney owned the club. It got changed again in 2005 when Arturo Moreno owned the club. The "of Anaheim" got dropped in 2013 during lease negotiations with the city. Officially it's just The Los Angeles Angels. Ignore the fact the stadium is in Orange county and has nothing to do with the Los Angeles or the county.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

There are many teams in many sports that play in a different city (sometimes different state) than what they are named for, some well known examples:

New York Giants and New York Jets, both represent New York City (or New York state depending on who you ask), but play in New Jersey a completely different state.
Los Angeles Angels, already discussed.
San Francisco 49ers, play in Santa Clara about 45 miles south of San Francisco
Dallas Cowboys, play in Arlington not Dallas
Phoenix Suns, play in Glendale not Phoenix
Buffalo Bills, play in Orchard Park not Buffalo
Washington Redskins, play in Landover Maryland not Washington DC
And finally LA Ram, will play in Inglewood not LA (once the stadium is completed)

Honorable mention, the Golden State Warriors while not named for a specific city isn't the only basketball team in CA but still claims the entire state in their name.

As for the reason why, it usually is due to an owner getting a better deal in a different city (or state) for the stadium/arena/ballpark.

shortstop

There are many teams in many sports that play in a different city (sometimes different state) than what they are named for, some well known examples:

New York Giants and New York Jets, both represent New York City (or New York state depending on who you ask), but play in New Jersey a completely different state.
And finally LA Ram, will play in Inglewood not LA (once the stadium is completed)

Honorable mention, the Golden State Warriors while not named for a specific city isn't the only basketball team in CA but still claims the entire state in their name.

As for the reason why, it usually is due to an owner getting a better deal in a different city (or state) for the stadium/arena/ballpark.
The Phoenix Suns play in downtown Phoenix, I think.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The Phoenix Suns play in downtown Phoenix, I think.

I took it from a list online, so it might be slightly outdated with regards to the Suns. I know they were looking to relocate to Glendale a couple years ago. I think Gila River Arena if I remember correctly. I don't follow basketball that closely and really not for other teams outside the Warriors. So if they still play at arena in DT Phoenix, cool.

But I do know the others are correct and current.

Phroobar

I took it from a list online, so it might be slightly outdated with regards to the Suns. I know they were looking to relocate to Glendale a couple years ago. I think Gila River Arena if I remember correctly. I don't follow basketball that closely and really not for other teams outside the Warriors. So if they still play at arena in DT Phoenix, cool.

But I do know the others are correct and current.
Wait. There are other teams besides the Warriors?

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No

Not even a mention of hockey

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Well since they changed their name to indicate that they have geographically moved out of Phoenix I don't think it counts anymore.

I don't care what excuses you have bruh hockey deserves some love too! 🏒🐺

The Blues have St. Louis in the name but they actually play in a high school gym because that's the level of talent they've been putting out lately.

:p Could be worse - imagine being a Coyotes fan - which thank goodness, I am not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom