An Untouchable’s Eventual Fate?

DisneyTransport

I think the biggest example of this is cop. People have walked out of it while it was running. I love it for its history and what it means to disney, but its a long ride that at times has very few people on it or show.. however you want to classify it. It needs a refurb and a good cleaning, and its evident disney doesnt really care to put too much money into it and im afraid if it ever had any serious issues it would be shut down. That being said, its almost a museum piece, with the history, the view on america, and what it means to disney.. if its ever removed.. i really hope they offer it to someone. Either the walt disney museum, marceline, or even a new musuem dedicated to amusement parks (either disney or all parks), heck with the amusement parks florida has lost throughout the years something really cool could be done, esp if they got universal and disney to sponsor it when they remove rides.
And we know it can be moved.. its been done before.

And tomorrowland speedway is a classic to me.. even if you all hate it ;)
Speedway cars need to be dismantled piece by piece! :mad: (haha but really, that ride has so many problems!!) at least change the cars from diesel to electric and modify the maintenance area....

as for COP.... yea that ride still gives me nightmares. If I had only a few hours left to live, I would ride COP since it feels like an eternity! 😂 I do think it can be updated in a way that respects its purpose while making it more engaging.

UNCgolf

as for COP.... yea that ride still gives me nightmares. If I had only a few hours left to live, I would ride COP since it feels like an eternity! 😂 I do think it can be updated in a way that respects its purpose while making it more engaging.

It's perfect as is! It's one of the best attractions at the entire resort; it's one of the only things I have to do on every trip.

DisneyTransport

It's perfect as is! It's one of the best attractions at the entire resort; it's one of the only things I have to do on every trip.
Sorry. but your wrong. the best ride of all time is the conveyer belt to get on the people mover. 😂 Just kidding :)

I guess we have different tastes! Honestly... Its just the song that gives me nightmares.... plus the never aging dog

Trackmaster

Speedway cars need to be dismantled piece by piece! :mad: (haha but really, that ride has so many problems!!) at least change the cars from diesel to electric and modify the maintenance area....

The biggest problem is that it belongs at a cheap regional theme park, and not in the most expensive, well attended park in the world. Same goes for the off the rack flat rides that Disney still has and wastes tons of Cast Members on. More employees that most regional amusement parks use on their top tier coasters.

UNCgolf

Sorry. but your wrong. the best ride of all time is the conveyer belt to get on the people mover. 😂 Just kidding :)

I guess we have different tastes! Honestly... Its just the song that gives me nightmares.... plus the never aging dog

Ah man, the song is one of the best parts! It's great.

None of the family really ages the way they should. I just assume the dog isn't the exact same dog, but another dog of the same breed.

DisneyTransport

The biggest problem is that it belongs at a cheap regional theme park, and not in the most expensive, well attended park in the world. Same goes for the off the rack flat rides that Disney still has and wastes tons of Cast Members on. More employees that most regional amusement parks use on their top tier coasters.
I agree. I dont think rides like Dumbo or the triceratops spin should be in WDW. Looks cheap. Is cheap.

Homemade Imagineering

Original Poster
I think one of the most surprising losses coming out of the Splash Mountain re-theme is the removal of Zip-a-Dee-Dooh-Dah, because the song is arguably one of Disney's most iconic pieces of music, being among the ranks of When you wish Upon a Star, or "it's a small world". Without Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah, something feels like its missing. Especially because they're now trying to erase the song like they've erased Song of the South, evidenced by its removal from Disneyland's esplanade loop. Many wouldn't be able to imagine the removal of an attraction such as the Haunted Mansion, or IASW, because both attractions have memorable themes, and their presence transcends the boundaries of the Disney Parks. The same can be said for Splash Mountain, but now that its reputation has been tarnished by SotS, Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah is considered to be a problematic song, so therefore Disney can justify its removal through getting rid of something problematic. So unless someone on social media finds a way to make "it's a small world" or Grim Grinning Ghosts look problematic in any way, (which won't happen because there is no problematic IP attached to those attractions or racial undertones in the songs) the attractions will remain iconic and beloved, and they won't have to suffer the same fate that Splash Mountain has suffered.

JustAFan

1. Maybe I was a little harsh. I said this because I’d rather not have the Splash Mountain discussion overtake this thread, since I understand it’s still a bit of an elephant in the room. Still, I respect everyone’s opinion, and so if I came across as a little harsh then I apologize.

2. Yes, I understand that, and I’m willing to discuss that with everyone here, as long as they decide to remain civil towards me of course. That’s all. This is an opinionated thread, and I fully encourage everyone to share their opinions here.
Sorry if I came across short or snippy. Wasn't my intent. I'm simply saying that approach will get some responses. Maybe that's what you wanted though.

With that said, you mention a list of 4 core attractions, but wouldn't Peter Pan's Flight be considered core? What about Dumbo?

ppete1975

Sorry if I came across short or snippy. Wasn't my intent. I'm simply saying that approach will get some responses. Maybe that's what you wanted though.

With that said, you mention a list of 4 core attractions, but wouldn't Peter Pan's Flight be considered core? What about Dumbo?
WOW!! When im thinking of attractions and rides in these discussions, i rarely think of dumbo.. Im usually thinking of the dark rides and boat rides. But if any ride is truly going to outlive us all.... its dumbo. Cheap, small footprint, iconic (how many commericials show it), can be ridden by adults to toddlers. Dumbo and the castle are truly untouchable.

Homemade Imagineering

Original Poster
1. On a side note (and back to my earlier point regarding IASW) I was able to track down the episode of Alex's podcast with his friend Matt, where Alex discussed a proposed idea to move IASW north from where it's currently located, as apart of a fantasyland expansion. Now, this episode stems from a "rumor" micechat was running with last year in June, which I'm sure a handful of you are familiar with, but that's not important here. The reason I'm bringing this up, is because Alex mentioned that he has a source
(I'm assuming in WDI) who let him in on a few proposals on what to do with IASW if a future fantasyland expansion were to come to fruition. One of those proposals involved a complete removal of the attraction from the park, which just seems like the most ludicrous thing TWDC could possibly do. I can understand if WDI pitched a permeant overlay of the attraction (even that's a bit extreme), but a complete removal of the original IASW from the original park is one way to alienate guests, because its both ludicrous to do such a thing, but it also won't provide the proper financial return they'd be looking for. I mean, what would you even replace the attraction with anyways? Whoever seriously suggested they remove the attraction completely shouldn't be working with WDI in the first place. Anyways, because I'm sure most of you are baffled that I'm bringing up something from last year, I'm simply curious as to whether Alex's source is legitimate or even exists. Now, make no mistake, I'm not trying to make him look bad, but it just doesn't seem realistic to me that they'd even go through with something like this. In other words, I'd like to get someone to verify Alex's source.

SIDE NOTE: Yes, I understand COVID has delayed everything, so therefore any plans to alter or remove IASW are probably off the table. I'm simply curious as to whether Alex's source is legitimate. So again, if any of you have information on this, I'd be interested to hear about it. Until then, I advise everyone to take this with a grain of salt. I'm simply bringing this up out of curiosity, not to spread fallacy.

Here is the episode in which this is discussed:

No worries. In terms of Pan and Dumbo, I'd say they'll most likely remain in the park, due to the fact that they don't necessarily take up any prime real estate, and they're still popular among guests. I think its important that I mention I'm referring to DLR's Pan and Dumbo, but I think the same can be said (maybe to a lesser extent) for MK.

DisneyTransport

Ugh as much as i hate to say it, dumbo will be safe. Its ez pz to work on and fix and people line up for it. So any dumbo fans, your probably good. Also, how can they remove peter pan??? Line is on average 50 hours long during peak season! So peter pan is probably safe. As long as they dont retheme it due to big chief and the tribe scene

Homemade Imagineering

Original Poster
Line is on average 50 hours long during peak season!
Certainly. It’s one of the lowest capacity attractions in the park, and its long wait times reflect that. Which brings me to my next point. Alex’s claims regarding IASW’s popularity are a bit flawed. He believes the attraction is on borrowed time due to its ridership numbers, which according to him are apparently low. Last I checked, IASW is the highest capacity attraction in the entire park, right next to PotC, and pulls in pretty hefty wait times during peak seasons. Heck, the Holliday overlay is enough to justify its staying power within the park. It shows, that the highest capacity attraction in the park can garner wait times equivalent to that of or more than the subs, during its holiday overlay. I don’t know how that screams “unpopular”...

UNCgolf

Beyond the fact that Peter Pan has routinely long waits (which are partially a factor of capacity), there are other reasons Disney is unlikely to replace it. I don't know for sure (or all the specifics), but I imagine they would have to make significant changes to the building to be able to do a full replacement because of updated code standards. It's also not a very big area so they wouldn't have a ton of options.

Trackmaster

Considering the economic headwinds Disney is sailing into....I wouldn’t worry about things being “touched” right now at all...

Monsters Laugh Track, Primeval Whirl, Finding Nemo, Lion King Festival, People Mover, and other stuff all say hi.

Ok I'm sure some of them are coming back at some point, and Primeval Whirl probably was before Covid, but the point is that when its austerity mode, the one thing they will do is slash things.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Monsters Laugh Track, Primeval Whirl, Finding Nemo, Lion King Festival, People Mover, and other stuff all say hi.

Ok I'm sure some of them are coming back at some point, and Primeval Whirl probably was before Covid, but the point is that when its austerity mode, the one thing they will do is slash things.

Don’t think pirates or small world would be close to the top of the chop list...

Now living with the land? Beauty and the beast? Flights of wonder?

Homemade Imagineering

Original Poster
Don’t think pirates or small world would be close to the top of the chop list...
My thoughts as well. One thing people have to consider whenever bringing up the untouchable argument, is that the reason they're able to get away with re-theming Splash without facing a PR nightmare, is because they're justifying it by getting rid of problematic source material, and they're not completely bulldozing the attraction itself. Now, if they were to alter IASW or PotC beyond recognition, or bulldoze them, then they'd face the biggest Disney Parks PR nightmare of all time, because they wouldn't be able to justify their closures as something connected to problematic source material.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom