An exception to the resort mug "rule"?

Magikal

While we get the mugs free with the Dining plan, we've gotten the same bloody ones the last 3 years x 5! 15 of these suckers! We passed overkill about a dozen mugs ago! If there's not new ones this year, we are NOT bringing back another 5! We WILL be using ones we already have. There's a point when it gets beyond ridiculous and that was some time ago.

harryk

-

I will make a confession...
I have reused my mug on a recent trip from the previous visit.
Mug was the same design ( currant pool-side image ) and i did not get to use it on my previous visit when it was given to me as part of a package deal.

In the past, i have been naughty and brought back other mugs from the past...but they were always the 'currant' design at the time of use.

I love my older, 'fat' mugs from 2001 and use them often at home and work.
Those are still 'valid' for filling i am told as at the time they were purchased, it was 'good forever' on future visit for refills. The newer, smaller 'travel mug' sized variants are a different story.

On my last visit to a WDW Resort ( late January ) i did notice however the lack of 'old mugs' being used by people. This was a first...usually you easily spot some of the well worn, ancient versions being re-used. Nope..this visit EVERYONE had new mugs..or at least were doing what i was doing, re-using a currant designed one.

First time i ever saw that. Take it for what it is worth...

We have been using our old 2001 Wilderness Lodge mugs every visit we stay at the Lodge. Granted we only use them for coffee in the morning - but they do come in handy. Not going to use DDP points for coffee each morning when the points can be used someplace else. Just love the forever mugs, also have them for the Boardwalk. Don't feel bashful about bringing them each visit.

draybook

While we get the mugs free with the Dining plan, we've gotten the same bloody ones the last 3 years x 5! 15 of these suckers! We passed overkill about a dozen mugs ago! If there's not new ones this year, we are NOT bringing back another 5! We WILL be using ones we already have. There's a point when it gets beyond ridiculous and that was some time ago.

No offense, but it's kind of silly to be complaining about something that is free.

rael ramone

When they first started the mugs, they were meant to be used for every stay afterwards

[ducks]

And in a way it made sense. If you want to get more free soda after your trip is over, you'll have to schedule another trip in the future.

Any man, woman, or small child who got their mugs under that old system should feel free to use it as it was advertised to you at the point of purchase - in no way, shape or form a grey area.

Now, if you didn't buy it during this legacy period and don't stick to it's intended use, in the words of David Letterman "guards in Mouse Costumes will beat you senseless" (if I remember that quote correctly).:)

Magikal

No offense, but it's kind of silly to be complaining about something that is free.
No offense taken. As rael ramone said, when they first started the mugs they were marketed for guests who plan return trips to WDW so they could bring their mugs and get free fills. We have these mugs as well. We have mugs from the start of the mugging. There was at least a year when we forgot ours and bought more of the lifetime mugs. And as far as free, I'm not exactly sure if that's what I'd call it. We did get them with the dining plan but coincidentally, we paid for that dining plan. I'm no financial wizard, but I sure was under the impression we bought them.

JIMINYCR

**** Additional Lyrics from me....( )
Thats it!
images

Come on now!
Lets sing it!
When you get in trouble

give a little whistle, give a little whistle

When you meet temptation (to fill those expired mugs)
and the urge is very strong

Not just a little squeak, pucker up and blow
and if you're whistle is weak, yell
Jiminy Cricket!

Take the strait and narrow path
and if you start to slide
and always let your conscience be your guide (buy a new mug every time)

Take the strait and narrow path
and if you start to slide
give a little whistle (yoo-hoo)
give a little whistle (yoo-HOO!)
and always let your conscience be your guide!

;):) :p

R W B

I didnt read this whole thread so this might of been said but they have had these same mugs atleast since 2010 when I went on my 2nd trip. I have them in every color (even pink) and this last trip I got my 2nd blue one.

disneygirl1

Ok so it looks like the mugs will NOT change this year if they haven't by now! Sigh :rolleyes: So my question is this... Has anyone recently seen any other colors available other then the pink, blue and black??? If so where? At this point I literally have 2 mugs of each of those colors and when we go in June, would definitely like to TRY to get another color other then the above mentioned ones if possible.

tracyandalex

We absolutely refuse to buy another of these current mugs, so we might have to bust out the old school ones for our brief stay in 2 weeks.
On a related note, we have been buying the ones in the parks. Even though we can't refill them they are DIFFERENT and cool cheap souvenirs.

litaljohn

because they never change lately I usually just beat the mugs to pulps between trips, there's really no point in saving them anymore. it just becomes a game of who can do the most damage until we get new ones. last year I won, the year before was my mother, ( who sort of cheated by getting extra help from the dog deciding it would be fun to etch teeth marks in it)

Larry Mondello

With the average family spending a couple grand on a weeks vacation at Disney, I don't think they care if someone gets $4.00 worth of coffee or soda with an old mug during the course of a week.

ratherbeinwdw

We never get the dining plan, so we always have to pay for our mugs.
Like others, I don't want any more of those same old mugs to clutter my cabinet.
We've started bringing drinks and water from home. Can't find caffeine free diet soda in the parks, and Smartwater is 3.50 a bottle. I still end up buying at least one drink in the parks to keep from having to carry more than one bottle in my small backpack. There's no sleeping that night if I drink caffeine after lunchtime.

G00fyDad

With the average family spending a couple grand on a weeks vacation at Disney, I don't think they care if someone gets $4.00 worth of coffee or soda with an old mug during the course of a week.

There's a lot more to it than just that, but to be brief and simplistic... imagine 64,000,000 people doing that. Heck, half of that would still be $88,681,600 lost at $2.29 a drink. Or to be more realistic, let's just say that half of that 64 million use a mug. If those people bought mugs it would come to a profit of $530,377,600 (minus Disney's cost to buy the mugs from the manufacturer). So let's just say that they make $5.00 per mug sold, then you have a profit of $160,000,000 a year lost.

Sorry, wasn't as brief as I thought. o_O

G00fyDad

We never get the dining plan, so we always have to pay for our mugs.
Like others, I don't want any more of those same old mugs to clutter my cabinet.
We've started bringing drinks and water from home. Can't find caffeine free diet soda in the parks, and Smartwater is 3.50 a bottle. I still end up buying at least one drink in the parks to keep from having to carry more than one bottle in my small backpack. There's no sleeping that night if I drink caffeine after lunchtime.

Get these.....

http://www.amazon.com/Vapur-Element-Collapsible-Water-Bottle/dp/B007EEZ3WA

You can find cheaper ones too.

We absolutely refuse to buy another of these current mugs, so we might have to bust out the old school ones for our brief stay in 2 weeks.
On a related note, we have been buying the ones in the parks. Even though we can't refill them they are DIFFERENT and cool cheap souvenirs.
I didn't know there were mugs available for the parks! That's awesome!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom