Amtrak Train

KBLovedDisney

Hey all! For past trips, we considered taking the Amtrak instead of driving the 7+ hours to Florida and instead of paying crazy prices for flights.

Anybody use the Amtrak to and from Orlando?

If so, what are your experiences?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We have looked at it a number of times for other locations and in almost every case the travel time was about the same to longer than driving and the prices were not much better than flying.

The only perk seemed to be not having to rent a car at our destination.

Upvote 0

yensid67

We also looked into Amtrak for our May 2019 trip...while just about the same cost and time equal to driving from PA, we opted to just drive from PA to FL...it is cheaper if you can do it! The big thing for us was that on our return trip we got to Washington DC at 7am and our next train didn't leave until 400pm, so the 9 hour layover kind of made our decision for us! If definitely traveling by train...LOOK AT YOUR TIMES AND LAYOVERS!

Upvote 0

Nottamus

1998 took Amtrak from NJ (Delaware station) to Orlando....

Did it. Never again. Took 21 hours for some reason. And it was overbooked, so they added a car at the station as we waited.

Then they ran out of food in the dining car, before they called our car. So..there was that. Had snack cart food all the way down.

For 7 hours, might be fun...BUT if I only had a 7 hour drive, I'd just drive. My opinion.

Funny how one bad train experience made me hate trains...

Upvote 0

maelstrom98

I took Amtrak from Philly in 2014, definitely pros and cons. It was longer than driving - but no one had to stay awake to drive. We also did an overnight train, leaving at 6pm and arriving in Orlando around 11am or so, so most of the time we were asleep anyway. When we went it saved us a bit of money since flights were expensive. By the end though the bathroom was not pleasant, and while I'm glad I did it, I'm not sure I'd do it again.

Upvote 0

Nottamus

OMG, I almost forgot....

On my 'added car" train ride to Orlando.....The Ac unit was broken...full on a/c with no thermostat. They couldn't shut it down.

So, they gave us all 2 extra blankets each.

What kind of train has enough blankets for that, but NO food! haha (If you guessed my train, your'e right)

Upvote 0

Jamie77

Hey all! For past trips, we considered taking the Amtrak instead of driving the 7+ hours to Florida and instead of paying crazy prices for flights.

I've been taking the Amtrak to Orlando almost every year since 2004. It's great. The train leaves my city around 5am and gets to Orlando a little after 12pm. I get to my room around 2-2:30 depending on how soon my shuttle service picks me up and drops me off to my resort hotel. Sometimes I will fly in and take Amtrak out. That way I don't have to worry about crazy wake up times to take the Magical Express (Tragical Depress) back to the airport 3 hours before my flight out. It was about $112 round trip or $56 one way with the AAA discount at the time of my last trip.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yensid1967

Hey KB...
took Amtrak this summer(2021) I was surprised! It was comfortable all the way to DC from Martinsburg...just a short trip to check it out! The seats are WAY BETTER than airline seats, more cushion, leg room was awesome...I was stretching my legs out and could not touch the seat in front of us and we were in the middle of the train! I would limit walking around though, it was a little rocky and ya don't want to end up in someone else's lap!(or maybe ya do!!!) The ride was very relaxing as well! The train itself had a little wear and tear, but for 50 years old who wouldn't! I RECCOMMEND TAKING AMTRAK...sure beats being stuck on I-95 for 13 hrs!
We are planning another short trip Dec 7th AND a Disney trip in December 2026 on Auto Train!

Upvote 0

wplong1

Premium Member
Hate flying and would prefer to take a train everywhere. But every time I check a long distance Amtrak the cost is more than flying, sometimes much more (particularly for a sleeper) and the time required is usually longer than driving, combined with strange arrival and departure times depending on your station....it just doesn't make any financial or time sense to take the train.

Upvote 0

yensid1967

Hate flying and would prefer to take a train everywhere. But every time I check a long distance Amtrak the cost is more than flying, sometimes much more (particularly for a sleeper) and the time required is usually longer than driving, combined with strange arrival and departure times depending on your station....it just doesn't make any financial or time sense to take the train.
Where are you? From what city would you pick up Amtrak?

COACH SEATS are comfortable enough for a overnight trip...now if you were 2-5 night, alone...I would opt for a Roomette, anything passed 4-6 nights on a train I would opt for a bedroom!

Upvote 0

wplong1

Premium Member
Where are you? From what city would you pick up Amtrak?

COACH SEATS are comfortable enough for a overnight trip...now if you were 2-5 night, alone...I would opt for a Roomette, anything passed 4-6 nights on a train I would opt for a bedroom!
I am in New Orleans so getting to Orlando by train is not an option (at least with any reasonable connection). But as an example, to get from New Orleans to Charlottesville VA:

14.5 hour drive, approximately $150 gas in my Yukon
4 hour connecting flight, $230
24.5 hour train (if on time), roomette so can hopefully sleep some of the 24 hours, $411

It just never makes sense in any scenario I've ever checked to take Amtrak long distances unless just for the experience...close to twice as much as flying and 6x as much time. On my hypothetical trip 2 full 24 hour days of travel are required to get back and forth.

As I said, I love trains (especially in Europe) and we use the regional trains to get to and from Washington DC and my wife's father's house in Virginia all the time. They are comfortable, spacious and the stress level is so low. But I just can't make them work for anything over a couple of hours. The time/money ratio just doesn't work for me.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am in New Orleans so getting to Orlando by train is not an option (at least with any reasonable connection). But as an example, to get from New Orleans to Charlottesville VA:

14.5 hour drive, approximately $150 gas in my Yukon
4 hour connecting flight, $230
24.5 hour train (if on time), roomette so can hopefully sleep some of the 24 hours, $411

It just never makes sense in any scenario I've ever checked to take Amtrak long distances unless just for the experience...close to twice as much as flying and 6x as much time. On my hypothetical trip 2 full 24 hour days of travel are required to get back and forth.

As I said, I love trains (especially in Europe) and we use the regional trains to get to and from Washington DC and my wife's father's house in Virginia all the time. They are comfortable, spacious and the stress level is so low. But I just can't make them work for anything over a couple of hours. The time/money ratio just doesn't work for me.
This has been my experience anytime I have checked on trains as a transportation option. I would even take a negligible hit in time vs driving, but 2-3 times the travel time and 2-3 times the cost; no sale.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

Amtrak auto train from Lorton VA to Sanford FL , leave 4pm arrive at 9am , include hot dinner, cold breakfast , coach seat that can fold almost to a bed, WDW is 1 hour from Sanford, saves about 13 hours of driving.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom