American Express Traveller's Cheques

Bedknobs and Broomsticks

I searched for an answer but couldn't find a recent thread regarding cashing travellers cheques at WDW resorts. I work at a bank in Ontario and I am hearing more and more people are having issues cashing travellers cheques at hotels when travelling to the US. The Disney website lists them as accepted... but I wondered is it a hassle to cash them?

We are using DME and staying onsite at AKL with no rental vehicle. I don't want to have to take a cab to a nearby bank to cash them. I would use my credit card but I don't want to pay the current exchange rate plus 2+% on everything. I have been saving money in a US account over the last year and will withdrawal either cash or a cash/ travellers cheque combo with no exchange before we leave next week.

We are a group of 4 adults visiting for 10 days and paying OOP for food... so it will be a fairly significant amount of cash and I am nervous about it being lost or stolen through our journey to WDW. It would give me peace of mind to bring mostly travellers cheques... but I do not want a hassle or end up without access to the US funds I have saved while on vacation.

Please let me know if you have used them recently on WDW property and how was your experience?

Thanks! :happy:

jaklgreen

Have not seen or used travelers checks in over 25 years. But, if you have a US account cant you use the debit card on your account for your trip without the exchange rate since it is a US card? You can just charge everything back to your room and put that card on your room account. I would also look into getting a credit card that does not charge the foreign transaction fee. My chase card does not and I used it in Europe with no problems.

Upvote 0

Bedknobs and Broomsticks

Original Poster
Have not seen or used travelers checks in over 25 years. But, if you have a US account cant you use the debit card on your account for your trip without the exchange rate since it is a US card? You can just charge everything back to your room and put that card on your room account. I would also look into getting a credit card that does not charge the foreign transaction fee. My chase card does not and I used it in Europe with no problems.

That's a great suggestion. I would definitely add the US account to my debit card if I could! Unfortunately the US accounts are not recognized when using US bank machines. The machines take it as though it's a CAD funds account. I talked to our head office this morning and I don't quite understand why but it's not an option right now. :(

I could have applied for a Canadian credit card that was in US funds so there wouldn't have been an exchange... we could have paid it using the US cash when we got the bill when we got home... but it's too late to apply now. We leave in a week. If I used my Canadian funds credit card it's not just the fee but that I will pay 35 cents or more on each dollar when I already have paid an exchange buying the US cash for the US account in the first place. :mad:

The way I see it I can either just take US cash. Take a combo of US travellers cheques and cash. Or when we cross the border I can buy gift cards or load a pre-paid card... but if I lose a gift card, a pre paid credit card, or cash it's all the same. Gone. With the travellers cheques they can be replaced within 24hrs anywhere in the world if lost or stolen. I appreciate the extra peace of mind.

I just don't want it to be a big hassle to cash them when I get to AKL... and I think it might be because anyone under 40 probably wouldn't even recognize what they are. I am 30 and in 10 years of working at a bank I have maybe sold them 10 times. Probably only three times in the last five years. ;)

Upvote 0

HolleBolleGijs

Just a suggestion- take the US cash and buy gift cards as soon as you get there? Maybe dont use all of it, but just as much as you think you'll definitely spend. At least that way,you wont have to worry about keeping track of coins and singles!

Upvote 0

Mickey5150

I just did a search on the WDW website and although I didn't find info about cashing checks by Disney, I did see there is a Suntrust Bank across from Downtown Disney Marketplace which says they cash checks up to $100 for no fee, above $100 there is a fee. So if nothing else, you take a Disney bus to Downtown DIsney and then walk across the street to the bank. Looking at google maps it might be a fun walk across road construction but it is right across Buena Vista dr from Downtown Disney Marketplace.

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Just a suggestion- take the US cash and buy gift cards as soon as you get there? Maybe dont use all of it, but just as much as you think you'll definitely spend. At least that way,you wont have to worry about keeping track of coins and singles!

Good suggestion. I would add the possibility of getting a prepaid American Express debit card as well. When we went to Europe we got a travelex debit card (https://www.travelex.com/) in which we could have up to 4 different currencies attached. It worked out really well. We also both got credit cards that had no foreign transaction fees (and no annual fee). Even if you don't have enough time to get them this time get one for next time.

Upvote 0

Bedknobs and Broomsticks

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I guess my concern is whether the funds are in cash, pre-paid credit card, or gift card form if they are lost or stolen during our journey to WDW then it's just gone. We saved for two years and cannot easily replace the money. With travellers cheques if they were lost of stolen they would be replaced.

If no one posts that they have used them successfully recently... then I will stick with cash. I won't purchase a gift card as we always use our magic bands and charge everything... and then pay the bill down every few days with the cash we brought.

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Would it work to have them add the cash onto you account at a Disney hotel? Has anyone tried this?

Could you try emailing or calling your resort to see if they will cash them for you? Or call or email guest services at WDW?

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

I would call Disney and ask if they will cash the travelers checks for you. If they will then go ahead and take some. But be prepared if someone does not know what they are,(ask to speak to a manager if that is the case) as you said most people under 40 have no idea what they are, even at banks.

Upvote 0

Mouse_Trap

Having used travellers cheques quite extensively for 25+ years and being used to them being treated as cash throughout the US; in Florida 2 years ago was the first time I encountered any trouble.

I don't remember any specific issues at WDW a couple of servers didn't seem to even know what they were and had to check with their supervisor/manager.
No more than a minute or two delay, but off-site the blank stares were more frequent and there was one place that did declined to accept them.
Regrettably, I've no doubt that in the last 2 years it's gotten worse for travellers cheques, not better. I would still think its ok at WDW though given the amount of tourists they have.
I have noticed here though that most change places are desperate to get you a pre-paid card instead. Having looked at some, no thanks. Some of the charges are horrible, though I think some may be minimal.

Coming from the UK, my preferred option is not a Credit Card which has no overseas charges. You get an exchange rate which is better than when you change money here and asolutely no other charges.

Assuming you can get one with a decent enough credit limit, it's much better than any pre-paid card. The two I am aware of are the Halifax Clarity card and another from the Post Office.
The major bonus is you can pay it all off when you get home, though it can be a bit depressing to see just how much you spend.

I've used mine for about 5 years now, and have relied on it almost exclusively the past 2 years. I take a couple of hundred $ cash and the rest goes on the card. Of course, I carry at least one alternative card just in case there was a problem.

Upvote 0

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Having used travellers cheques every year since 2000 i can say there were more blank stares at the cashier stations this past May but nowhere on property refused them (it just meant a manager had to show the cast member how to process them).They have fallen out of fashion compared to the dreaded plastic money.We take them for the same peace of mind issues as you have mentioned.I must also mention that you will need to carry a photo ID for when you use them as we were asked on a regular basis.

Upvote 0

Tink28

I really like to keep control on my spending and don't have a credit card anyway, looked into a prepaid card which sounded like a good idea but WOW so many catches with them, loads of charges to load cash on, then a charge per month when you get back from your vacation to keep the card to use on another trip!, decided to stick with TC's plus some cash, think I will change up some TC's on property before we go to the Mall for shopping!
Just found out about a prepaid card only available for US$, good rate of exchange to so have bought one, so hopefully ok, will have card, TC's and cash now

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bedknobs and Broomsticks

Original Poster
Having used travellers cheques every year since 2000 i can say there were more blank stares at the cashier stations this past May but nowhere on property refused them (it just meant a manager had to show the cast member how to process them).They have fallen out of fashion compared to the dreaded plastic money.We take them for the same peace of mind issues as you have mentioned.I must also mention that you will need to carry a photo ID for when you use them as we were asked on a regular basis.

I was hoping to bring my credit card so that I can add charging privileges to my magic band and then pay the balance off before we leave with the travellers cheques so that my credit card is not billed. Good to know that they can be used... I might just have to be patient while a manager lends a hand. No worries... been there myself!

Upvote 0

HolleBolleGijs

I was hoping to bring my credit card so that I can add charging privileges to my magic band and then pay the balance off before we leave with the travellers cheques so that my credit card is not billed. Good to know that they can be used... I might just have to be patient while a manager lends a hand. No worries... been there myself!
Just don't wait until the last day to pay it off! I've heard that cards are charged during the last night of your stay, so just make sure you don't get stuck with charges you intended to pay off!

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Just don't wait until the last day to pay it off! I've heard that cards are charged during the last night of your stay, so just make sure you don't get stuck with charges you intended to pay off!

They are, but they will also charge your card in advance if you are nearing your room credit limit. They don't want you to run out of credit mid day, so they will charge your card at night once you hit some magical amount (IE $1400 of $1500) but I don't know what it is.

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

They are, but they will also charge your card in advance if you are nearing your room credit limit. They don't want you to run out of credit mid day, so they will charge your card at night once you hit some magical amount (IE $1400 of $1500) but I don't know what it is.

They did not auto extend my room charge account for me. We once were having dinner @ Portobello in DTD (Disney Springs) and I left my wallet in the room safe. All I had was my room card. Well after being @ WDW for 2 weeks we had used up all the limit on the room charge and the waitress came back to us and told us we needed to use another form of payment which we did not have with us. I was so embarrassed! The restaurant called someone @ our resort or somewhere else and Disney extended my room charge so we could pay for our meal. Nonetheless, I never leave the room without a credit card and the room card/band just in case.

Upvote 0

Courtney6682

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I guess my concern is whether the funds are in cash, pre-paid credit card, or gift card form if they are lost or stolen during our journey to WDW then it's just gone. We saved for two years and cannot easily replace the money. With travellers cheques if they were lost of stolen they would be replaced.

If no one posts that they have used them successfully recently... then I will stick with cash. I won't purchase a gift card as we always use our magic bands and charge everything... and then pay the bill down every few days with the cash we brought.

Do u happen to work at a TD? I work at one in the states and you could just get visa gift card and that could be replaced is lost or stolen if registered on the website upon purchase

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom