American Express Traveller's Cheques

Bedknobs and Broomsticks

I searched for an answer but couldn't find a recent thread regarding cashing travellers cheques at WDW resorts. I work at a bank in Ontario and I am hearing more and more people are having issues cashing travellers cheques at hotels when travelling to the US. The Disney website lists them as accepted... but I wondered is it a hassle to cash them?

We are using DME and staying onsite at AKL with no rental vehicle. I don't want to have to take a cab to a nearby bank to cash them. I would use my credit card but I don't want to pay the current exchange rate plus 2+% on everything. I have been saving money in a US account over the last year and will withdrawal either cash or a cash/ travellers cheque combo with no exchange before we leave next week.

We are a group of 4 adults visiting for 10 days and paying OOP for food... so it will be a fairly significant amount of cash and I am nervous about it being lost or stolen through our journey to WDW. It would give me peace of mind to bring mostly travellers cheques... but I do not want a hassle or end up without access to the US funds I have saved while on vacation.

Please let me know if you have used them recently on WDW property and how was your experience?

Thanks! :happy:

Bedknobs and Broomsticks

Original Poster
No I work for the Meridian Credit Union. We don't sell visa gift cards. I called our local TD and it seems like I would pay a lot of money in fees to access my own money... and they won't replace if lost or stolen.:(

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

They did not auto extend my room charge account for me. We once were having dinner @ Portobello in DTD (Disney Springs) and I left my wallet in the room safe. All I had was my room card. Well after being @ WDW for 2 weeks we had used up all the limit on the room charge and the waitress came back to us and told us we needed to use another form of payment which we did not have with us. I was so embarrassed! The restaurant called someone @ our resort or somewhere else and Disney extended my room charge so we could pay for our meal. Nonetheless, I never leave the room without a credit card and the room card/band just in case.

Did you happen to do a fair amount of spending that day? I could easily see only having been at say $1350 the night before, and having them run the card at $1400 or higher. Then a party of 4 does a character breakfast, and a few small things, and yeah, you hit the $1500 before dinner the next night. I've always had them run the card at night when I've been close as I've gone down to pay part of the tab with a gift card, only to find out they already charged my credit card.

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

Did you happen to do a fair amount of spending that day? I could easily see only having been at say $1350 the night before, and having them run the card at $1400 or higher. Then a party of 4 does a character breakfast, and a few small things, and yeah, you hit the $1500 before dinner the next night. I've always had them run the card at night when I've been close as I've gone down to pay part of the tab with a gift card, only to find out they already charged my credit card.

No. Nothing major. We use the room charge for meals and an occasional souvenir purchase. They blocked I think $2000 from my CC for the room charge. We were there for a total of 16 days and this was the last weekend before we were going home. We went over the $2000.00 mark and the room charge was locked.

The helpful yet bothersome part of this is that the nice people @ Portobello were able to contact Disney and have them put more credit on my room charge. This helped me out of an embarrassing situation, but I do not like the fact that someone was able to call Disney and have increase my credit line and then charge that account. I never once spoke to Disney or verified any credentials. It just magically happened. o_O

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom