American Adventure Issues

castlecake2.0

Would love to see this show get an update and to be more inclusive. It’s definitely showing that it was written in the 80s. The show is an amazing feat, but needs to be updated if it is to remain relevant to new audiences.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Would love to see this show get an update and to be more inclusive. It’s definitely showing that it was written in the 80s. The show is an amazing feat, but needs to be updated if it is to remain relevant to new audiences.

Just curious as to what you would add or change to be more inclusive? I listened to a podcast within the last few months and some people who worked on developing the attraction talked about the challenge of what to include for the show to keep it a decent length, touch on important keystones of American History, and not to completely glorify everything but not make it too heavy for a theme park either.

castlecake2.0

Just curious as to what you would add or change to be more inclusive? I listened to a podcast within the last few months and some people who worked on developing the attraction talked about the challenge of what to include for the show to keep it a decent length, touch on important keystones of American History, and not to completely glorify everything but not make it too heavy for a theme park either.
The show seems to be very heavily... white people. I think a few scenes could be changed to show more variety in the people and voices that helped shape the country.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
The show seems to be very heavily... white people. I think a few scenes could be changed to show more variety in the people and voices that helped shape the country.

Again still honestly curious, which figures in history/historical events would you add? I am a history buff so just wondering what you or others would add to enrich the show.

UNCgolf

That's sort of the result of trying to cover American history, though. Most of American history is heavily skewed towards white people shaping the country because non-whites weren't really allowed.

It's a tough line to walk. More representation is better, of course, but on the other hand, trying to pretend like it wasn't almost exclusively white people for most of American history can accidentally whitewash the sins of the past and make it seem like everything was fine and non-whites had just as much opportunity as anyone else. That's definitely not the message you want to send.

What they could potentially do is add new scenes featuring the Civil Rights movement etc. but I don't know if that's even possible.

castlecake2.0

That's sort of the result of trying to cover American history, though. Most of American history is heavily skewed towards white people shaping the country because non-whites weren't really allowed.

It's a tough line to walk. More representation is better, of course, but on the other hand, trying to pretend like it wasn't almost exclusively white people for most of American history can accidentally whitewash the sins of the past and make it seem like everything was fine and non-whites had just as much opportunity as anyone else. That's definitely not the message you want to send.

What they could potentially do is add new scenes featuring the Civil Rights movement etc. but I don't know if that's even possible.
Totally agree, very careful line to walk. But every time I watch this show it becomes more obvious that more representation is needed. Not to say that some people’s contributions highlighted in this show are not important, but it’s also time to give other people a chance. Off the top of my head, every figure in this show is white except for one aboriginal, and two African Americans (one of which is just a gas station attendant not even a real historical figure)

UNCgolf

Totally agree, very careful line to walk. But every time I watch this show it becomes more obvious that more representation is needed. Not to say that some people’s contributions highlighted in this show are not important, but it’s also time to give other people a chance. Off the top of my head, every figure in this show is white except for one aboriginal, and two African Americans (one of which is just a gas station attendant not even a real historical figure)

I think adding additional scenes would be the best solution -- focus on something actually befitting instead of just tossing people in to the existing ones. Again, though, I don't know if that's feasible. My guess is it would be incredibly difficult if not outright impossible due to the nature of the attraction, but adding Martin Luther King Jr. speaking in front of the Lincoln Memorial would be an excellent option.

It might be easier to replace one of the existing scenes, but since they're in chronological order that could throw off the whole show.

Touchdown

I think adding additional scenes would be the best solution -- focus on something actually befitting instead of just tossing people in to the existing ones. Again, though, I don't know if that's feasible. My guess is it would be incredibly difficult if not outright impossible due to the nature of the attraction, but adding Martin Luther King Jr. speaking in front of the Lincoln Memorial would be an excellent option.

It might be easier to replace one of the existing scenes, but since they're in chronological order that could throw off the whole show.
He’s part of Golden Dream and one of only three people who get to speak over the song (the other being JFK and Noel Armstrong.). The only thing I would consider changing is the first scene, the Pilgrims were:
1. Not the first settlers of America
2. Not the first European settlers of America
3. Not the first successful European settlers in America
4. In the grand scheme of things not very historical in nature.

I would instead focus on Jamestown and feature more native Americans interacting with them

JoeCamel

He’s part of Golden Dream and one of only three people who get to speak over the song (the other being JFK and Noel Armstrong.). The only thing I would consider changing is the first scene, the Pilgrims were:

I would instead focus on Jamestown and feature more native Americans interacting with them
The pilgrims are held up because they fled religious persecution which the freedom from is a basic tenent of the founders

castlecake2.0

Or you could even start before European contact

castlecake2.0

I don't see that happening. Then there's an underlying current of, "hey, all of this was here before we moved in and destroyed it."

Which is accurate, but probably not going into a theme park attraction.
Just put an idea into my head, what if the show was completely rewritten to focus more on the story of important American contributions rather than trying to be a 300 year history lesson crammed into 27 minutes.

UNCgolf

Just put an idea into my head, what if the show was completely rewritten to focus more on the story of important American contributions rather than trying to be a 300 year history lesson crammed into 27 minutes.

There are a lot of things they could do (your suggestion is pretty good) but I don't know how feasible they are. I think something like that would involve basically rebuilding everything from the sets to the AAs, right? You wouldn't want to leave all the scenes the same.

Not that they couldn't do that if they wanted to -- I just don't see management having any interest in spending the money to do so right now.

Lilofan

I think American Adventure is a perfect “Disney theme park” balance of positive and negative historical moments in USA history.

I really hope it doesn’t get updated any time soon and continues to play as is.
Sitting in a 50 min show at AA / Epcot in ice cold AC in July is the perfect way to relax and cool.off and snooze.

TrainsOfDisney

Sitting in a 50 min show at AA / Epcot in ice cold AC in July is the perfect way to relax and cool.off and snooze.
I’ve never fallen asleep in American Adventure, Hall of Presidents, or Great Moments with Lincoln. I’ve almost always been moved to tears at all of the above and always left with strong emotions.

*please read my post in the voice of Sam Eagle*

Lilofan

I’ve never fallen asleep in American Adventure, Hall of Presidents, or Great Moments with Lincoln. I’ve almost always been moved to tears at all of the above and always left with strong emotions.
I've enjoyed American Adventure but the best part is the Voices Of Liberty in the rotanda. The acoustics are excellent and we can chat with the singers after their performance. I am not too thrilled about VOL transitioning to contemporary music? What the heck?

UNCgolf

*please read my post in the voice of Sam Eagle*

Are you suggesting you have fallen asleep in Carousel of Progress? How dare you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom