AMD Ryzen

Jimmy Thick

The six core Ryzen's and higher are dam good cpus, after bio's updates. With updated boi's, and I have not seen any shipped recently with updates preinstalled, these cpu's are very worthwhile, yes they are and that is coming from an Intel fanboi.

As for memory, the highest speed I can get stable is 2666mhz on my 3200. It will come in time so I'm not really worried.

As for the Ryzen 3, I would avoid it. The speeds suck and compared to a Kaby Lake Pentium which now have hyperthreading, you're wasting money. Coffee Lake Pentiums will probably have a better clock on them so I would wait personally.

I'm going to eat crow on the Ryzen chips, they turned out pretty dam good and for the price point and cores, they are a success.

Still wouldn't get AMD video cards though.......

Jahona

Original Poster
Leaks are out for Ryzen+ (2000 series chips)

Source: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/03/09/amd-ryzen-plus-price-specs-release-date/
Spanish site with leaked info: https://elchapuzasinformatico.com/2...to-benchmarks-precios-y-fecha-de-lanzamiento/

Looks like they are dropping the 800 and 800x this go around and moving the 700 up to the top slot. The new 2700x increases it's base and boost clocks up from 3.4GHz boost 3.8GHz to 3.7GHz boost 4.35 GHz. The x chips will have a tech dubbed Precision Boost Overdrive which should alloy even better overclocking.

Along with this comes a new chipset, the X470. The new chipset will support XFR2 Enhanced and higher speed memory support.
All Ryzen+ chips should work on last gen 300 series motherboards with a future bios update.

Jahona

Original Poster
I'm thinking of picking up the 2700x in April. Should have my tax return by then to help pay for parts. My poor old Phenom II 1090t is feeling long in the tooth.

Jahona

Original Poster
Well I've placed my order for a Crosshair VII Hero Mobo and a 2700x to pair with it. Pairing it with 3200mhz gkill ram. Going to reuse my old gtx 770 graphics card until nvidia releases new cards later this year. Tempted to pick up a 1tb m.2 drive but may just reuse my sata ssds for a bit.

Jimmy Thick

Tempted to pick up a 1tb m.2 drive but may just reuse my sata ssds for a bit.

Get the m.2, I personally thought the improvement was as good as from hhd to ssd, but my original ssd, Toshiba, was not the best of the best. But be warned, and this is my experience and honest advice.

Pay the money and get the Samsung 960. I went cheap and got a WD blue and it got so hot it could probably burn off a fingerprint. Not having any issues with the Samsung.

Jahona

Original Poster
Get the m.2, I personally thought the improvement was as good as from hhd to ssd, but my original ssd, Toshiba, was not the best of the best. But be warned, and this is my experience and honest advice.

Pay the money and get the Samsung 960. I went cheap and got a WD blue and it got so hot it could probably burn off a fingerprint. Not having any issues with the Samsung.

I've got two 500gig sata 950 pros right now. I can't decide if the 960 pros are worth the extra cost over the evos. They got rid of the 10 year warranty and the small performance boost doesn't seem to be worth the larger costs.

Definitely going m.2 PCIe x4.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom