Am I Alone... WDW Food is BAD

Phonedave

šŸ‘šŸ¤£

Disney is masterful at marketing and profiling its audience, which is why there are so many of the same dishes on the menus. How many charcuterie trays are there now?

That and creme brulee. Almost every restaurant at WDW now has one on the menu - all with some funky twist or flavor. How about before they get creative with the flavors, they try and execute on just a "normal" one. Not runny, not ice cold, not grainy - just good, well made custard with an even crust of sugar. Get that right and then maybe they can start with the maple, pistachio, orange, and other crap everyone on social media seems to go gaga over.

OG Runner

That and creme brulee. Almost every restaurant at WDW now has one on the menu - all with some funky twist or flavor. How about before they get creative with the flavors, they try and execute on just a "normal" one. Not runny, not ice cold, not grainy - just good, well made custard with an even crust of sugar. Get that right and then maybe they can start with the maple, pistachio, orange, and other crap everyone on social media seems to go gaga over.

And yet, it appears, you keep trying the many and varied crĆØme brulee. It appears you are their target audience. :joyfull:

Phonedave

I try to keep the $ out of the equation and I usually donā€™t do table service. I do know my own palette and Iā€™m very adventurous, which helps. Having lived all around the globe Iā€™ve had amazing food from all sorts of backgrounds, but when I eat at Disney I try to find the happy medium.
I would like good food at a reasonable theme park price, so thatā€™s what I look for and thatā€™s what I eat. I really like the Yak & Yeti at AK, I like the Rainforest CafĆ©ā€™s specialty menus, had great meals in Pandora, Star Wars, and a bunch of other places. France has a great little grab and go place way in the back thatā€™s reasonably priced and tastes nice (I love me a fresh baguette) and of course the various offerings at EPCOT during the International Food and Wine Festival. Iā€™ve also had some stuff that I didnā€™t finish, because it just didnā€™t make my mouth happy.
In the end I think we just have to remember to have fun...like when we were little. Weā€™re not going to disney for the cuisine, we go for the Magic! šŸ˜‰

Here is the thing. WDW is not "good food at a reasonable theme park price" WDW is OK food at a more than reasonable theme park price.

I used to place WDW food in the solid "good" category, but it has become "OK". I don't consider it bad. The number of meals I have had at WDW were I came out thinking "that food was just bad" number in the single digits (but they are there). But very very rarely do I come out of a WDW restaurant thinking that I need to get the recipe, or I want to order that dish again.

As for price, as I have said time and time again. I expect a theme park mark up. WDW used to have a theme park mark up, now it is to the point where it is an excessive money grab.

As an example, I often Vivino on wines I order in restaurants. That way I have a record of it, if I liked it, and I know where I can get it if I want to buy more. I have no issues with paying double retail for a bottle in a restaurant. That is standard mark up, and I understand why it gets marked up that much. However, I was out at a nice steakhouse in town, which prides themselves on having a "unique wine list with hard to find wines on it". We bought a $45 bottle I had never heard of. When it came to the table, I ran it through Vivino, and it came up as available for $10.99 at the ShopRite liquors 5 miles away. That is gouging, and it is the same feeling that WDW dining gives me.

WDW is on such a scale that a visit to a small restaurant in a major city that specializes in just a few things will blow anything they have away. Imagine you are at the largest wedding or convention you have ever been to. That's how fast they turn out food and they do it well. Is it going to really be something special? Probably not, but it's serviceable, safe and decent. That's how I look at it. I live near NYC and get some of the best restaurants to dine at nearby. When I do go to WDW, it kind of brings it closer to institution food quality but it's still quite good. All things considered, no complaints from me. Just reduced expectations because they are turning out mountains of food every minute of every day.

As in my above example. I have no issues with OK food, it's when you couple it with their outrageous pricing that I feel cheated.

True. They are serving institutional food at ultra premium prices though. Kinda skews the old value slider.

Exactly. Even premium prices would be fine (it is a theme park) but ultra premium is going a bit too far.

PixarPerfect

I agree 100%. BUT it does seem that, for some, creme brƻlƩe is a still a luxury, special occasion dessert and I can ignore its place on the menu (like the charcuterie or lobster everything). Well, it's a special occasion dessert for those who don't order the flourless chocolate cake. If they like it and feel good ordering it, who am I to judge? There are more of "them" than there are of me.

Having said that, Disney doesn't hold the monopoly on menu fixtures. There are items on almost EVERY USA restaurant's menu. It's to the point where I can walk into almost any restaurant and guess 90% of the menu without looking. Dessert? Creme brƻlƩe, chocolate cake, bread pudding, and some sort of fruit / ice cream thing. Maybe a key lime or carrot cake something. No imagination.

Phonedave

And yet, it appears, you keep trying the many and varied crĆØme brulee. It appears you are their target audience. :joyfull:

Nope, I haven't had one from WDW in quite some time. I see them on the menus, so I know what they have. I used to order them, because I do like creme brulee, but after a number of disappointments, I gave up.

Phonedave

I agree 100%. BUT it does seem that, for some, creme brƻlƩe is a still a luxury, special occasion dessert and I can ignore its place on the menu (like the charcuterie or lobster everything). Well, it's a special occasion dessert for those who don't order the flourless chocolate cake. If they like it and feel good ordering it, who am I to judge? There are more of "them" than there are of me.

Or surf and turf. Two great tastes that don't go great together, but both are expensive so we must combine them and make them better. But true, people like what people like, and if they like it then they like it. People seem to love beef filet as well. That's cool. Leaves more of the tastier steaks for me.

Having said that, Disney doesn't hold the monopoly on menu fixtures. There are items on almost EVERY USA restaurant's menu. It's to the point where I can walk into almost any restaurant and guess 90% of the menu without looking. Dessert? Creme brƻlƩe, chocolate cake, bread pudding, and some sort of fruit / ice cream thing. Maybe a key lime or carrot cake something. No imagination.

You forgot if it's an Italian restaurant it is obligated to have cannoli and tiramisu.

OG Runner

Nope, I haven't had one from WDW in quite some time. I see them on the menus, so I know what they have. I used to order them, because I do like creme brulee, but after a number of disappointments, I gave up.

Then you really are no judge of the current quality of the item. (Check out the Disney Food Blog) They do very honest reviews
of all of the restaurants noting the quality of the food as well as the price.

Phonedave

Then you really are no judge of the current quality of the item. (Check out the Disney Food Blog) They do very honest reviews
of all of the restaurants noting the quality of the food as well as the price.

I have sampled them and I can see them when others order them (you can see how much liquid is left). You are correct, I may not have had one in the last year, but given their track record of all other food items, I doubt the have stepped up the creme brulee game while letting everything else slide.

In the interest of being current I took a look at the DFB again (I had written it off as marketing and social media worthy reviews a while back). Clicked in, saw an article on "6 new things you gotta try at WDW"

Cake Cups. Why, because they are loaded with frosting - Oh yea, that sounds like quality eating to me.
Starbucks - Really? Starbucks. This is a WDW must try?
BOG Lunch. Because of the Grey Stuff? A menu item that was created because it was mentioned in a movie, and is overly sweet cookies and cream mousse. Really, that's a must try.

They did nail a few items of real food in the list, but I don't think I will be using DFB as a touchstone anytime soon.

rawisericho

There's a lot of food I dig at Disney.

Yachtsman, Sanaa, Marrakesh, Le Cellier, Tiffins, and Be Our Guest are all pretty good.

And I'm from New York so it's not like I'm not exposed to lots of good restaurants.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
As a caveman their beef offerings are bad... also, someone on here posted about their 600 dollar dinners at Ruth Chris, etc... I call BS. If thatā€™s the case youā€™re slamming overpriced wine and expensive starters. Even their highest end Wagyu Tomahawk steak (when they have it as a special) is about 80-90 dollars ala carte.

Trust me, I eat well... my brother in law is a former James Beard winner. I just ride his coat tails getting free meals at some of the best restaurants on the east coast.

PixarPerfect

As a caveman their beef offerings are bad... also, someone on here posted about their 600 dollar dinners at Ruth Chris, etc... I call BS. If thatā€™s the case youā€™re slamming overpriced wine and expensive starters. Even their highest end Wagyu Tomahawk steak (when they have it as a special) is about 80-90 dollars ala carte.

Trust me, I eat well... my brother in law is a former James Beard winner. I just ride his coat tails getting free meals at some of the best restaurants on the east coast.

OK, would people please read my posts for comprehension before misquoting them? I never said my dinner at Ruth's Chris was $600. I do my best never to eat at Ruth's Chris. This is the actual quote:

"As for the prices? It's rare for my husband and I to go out to eat at a "regular" restaurant for less than a $100. Nicer restaurants in our area generally in the $200-600 range for both of us. The menus are often limited to 4-5 entree options. For us, most of the Disney restaurants fall under the regular pricing for a sit-down restaurant."

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
OK, would people please read my posts for comprehension before misquoting them? I never said my dinner at Ruth's Chris was $600. I do my best never to eat at Ruth's Chris. This is the actual quote:

"As for the prices? It's rare for my husband and I to go out to eat at a "regular" restaurant for less than a $100. Nicer restaurants in our area generally in the $200-600 range for both of us. The menus are often limited to 4-5 entree options. For us, most of the Disney restaurants fall under the regular pricing for a sit-down restaurant."
Iā€™d have to go back... someone definitely referenced Mortonā€™s and Ruth unless they edited the comment.......

PixarPerfect

Restaurants and eating out can be an expensive endeavor. The meals aren't always worth the cost, in my experience. I can't remember what I ate at my most expensive meal ever. The food was far from memorable, which is telling in that I only remember the cost.
Iā€™d have to go back... someone definitely referenced Mortonā€™s and Ruth unless they edited the comment.......

I did because I believe you compared Disney's steaks with theirs. I mentioned a meal at Morton's for 4 that was $600 and practically inedible.

tinker-ella

Honestly, a few weeks ago, my husband said I was "very religious" because all I had was bread and wine from even top restaurants like the Cali Grill. I feel like we spent a lot of money this year on restaurants - of all levels (like BOG, 50s Prime Time, The Wave. Rainforest Cafe, Wolfgang Puck, the Cali Grill) and it just wasn't worth it. I've never experienced that before. The food wasn't good for the price.
The scallops at BOG were "fishy". Anything at 50s or Rainforest was inedible. The service at The Wave wasn't a "typical" CM experience and the food was eh. Puck's was pure salt. The surf and turf at the Cali Grill was gooped up with so much sauce, it was challenging to find anything edible.
I'm hoping it was just an off year and next year will be better - otherwise my years as a church organist will serve me well as I have more bread and wine next year.
We've noticed some decline in the past year or so as well. Some old standby restaurants that we always counted on for a great experience have disappointed of late...such as Kona Cafe, Sana'a, 50's Prime Time, O'Hana, The Wave, etc. The quality of the food, the portion sizes, the selection and variety have become lesser in choice and quality. I'm not comparing to the outside world, I'm comparing to the same places in the past. I had such a horrendous piece of Mahi Mahi at Kona, I had to send it back. It was gross. But we still love the ambience, and will hope that changes of menu or management will bring us back! Always good: Boma, BoG, La Hacienda, Citrico's, Via Napoli, etc. Disney Springs has some wonderful places as well. Must try is Chef Art Smith's Homecoming!

KikoKea

I had steak kabobs at the Moroccan Restaurant Marakesh last year, and it was fantastic! The steak was so tender, I could cut it with my fork, and all the sides were great. We've also had very good meals, food-wise, at Akerhus in Norway.

Surprisingly, we've had decent meals at Columbia Harbor House- the salmon is not bad, and qualifies in my book as healthy.

Mrchips0401

If youā€™re eating at convenience locations with pizza/burgers/chicken Sammieā€™s it may not be gourmet, but I travel to WDW just for the food options. My faves are Artist Point at Wilderness Lodge, San Angel Inn - Mexico in Epcot, and Boma in Animal Kingdom.

BellFamily2000

Value is subjective and varies from person to person but Iā€™ve never had a meal at WDW that left me with a ā€œwow, thatā€™s the best (blank) Iā€™ve ever hadā€ or ā€œwow, Iā€™ve never had that beforeā€.

Letā€™s hear it... am I alone or not?!
My family and I have been discussing this since we are planning a trip at Christmas time. We just went in June and every meal no matter what restaurant we went to which also included the Boathouse, Ohana, Crystal Palace, the Plaza, the Mexico pavilion, the Italy pavillion, and the Chinese pavilion and found that none of them were worth the money we spent on them. We loved the Japanese pavilion and have always had great food there year after year! It doesnā€™t seem to matter what you pay for the meal it is equally not great. For all the money people pay to go to WDW and for the food it should at least be good. Most were just adequate and we would have rather have had the McDonalds found on property instead & weā€™re not big fans of fast food either. We are left with new places to try I guess like America in DW & Morocco in Epcot pavilion.

OG Runner

I have sampled them and I can see them when others order them (you can see how much liquid is left). You are correct, I may not have had one in the last year, but given their track record of all other food items, I doubt the have stepped up the creme brulee game while letting everything else slide.

In the interest of being current I took a look at the DFB again (I had written it off as marketing **** and social media worthy reviews a while back). Clicked in, saw an article on "6 new things you gotta try at WDW"

Cake Cups. Why, because they are loaded with frosting - Oh yea, that sounds like quality eating to me.
Starbucks - Really? Starbucks. This is a WDW must try?
BOG Lunch. Because of the Grey Stuff? A menu item that was created because it was mentioned in a movie, and is overly sweet cookies and cream mousse. Really, that's a must try.

They did nail a few items of real food in the list, but I don't think I will be using DFB as a touchstone anytime soon.

Again, it sounds, (and I may be wrong), like you are making a broad statement based on a small sample size. Try the resent
DFB item of "What not to eat in Disney World". One of the items it notes are the downsides of Chef Mickey's. Just to let you
know, I know not all food in WDW is great or worth the price, overall, however, I do not think it qualifies as bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom