Alternative HS FastPass suggestion

correcaminos

I think the repeated drops, more than anything, would be the problem. One drop, he'd throw a fit and get over it once I put a churro in his hand. But multiple, my Amex would be hurting in order to get that kid not to hate me lol
I totally hear you. And since we don't know how many drops there will be, we cannot prepare for that. Add that with the story line and it could be recipe for disaster (or excessive charges on a credit card lol)

There's a big difference between ToT and one of the several Drop Tower rides around the country is what I meant. It's very mild comparatively.. I would not convince a child to go on one of those for their first ever ride experience. ToT, I would.
I'm very glad that I bribed my niece to go on Space Mountain back then.. now she's a teen who loves roller coasters.

And that day when she was 6, she was a proud little girl who faced a fear, overcame it, and begged to "do it again!"

Her mom wouldn't have pushed her to do it, and was shocked when she found out how much she enjoyed it. I feel like sometimes pushing kids is good. Different strokes.. that's why I said "plenty of people may disagree with me.."lol
Okay again I said I am good with pushing kids, within reason. So I don't disagree with you on that. I just disagree with you on ToT being "mild" and worth pushing on. I guess even being in an area with lots of coasters and drop rides, I don't find it 'mild' at all. It's not just a drop also, but an accelerated drop where it is pulled faster than usual simple drops. There are other drop rides I'd do first before ToT.

Space Mt. and ToT are worlds apart too IMO. There are rides I'd push but others I wouldn't. I've known far too many kids who hated ToT and refused to ride again because they went on too young. The story is scary for little ones and the drop sequence now is randomized so you don't know how many you will get.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
I totally hear you. And since we don't know how many drops there will be, we cannot prepare for that. Add that with the story line and it could be recipe for disaster (or excessive charges on a credit card lol)

Okay again I said I am good with pushing kids, within reason. So I don't disagree with you on that. I just disagree with you on ToT being "mild" and worth pushing on. I guess even being in an area with lots of coasters and drop rides, I don't find it 'mild' at all. It's not just a drop also, but an accelerated drop where it is pulled faster than usual simple drops. There are other drop rides I'd do first before ToT.

Space Mt. and ToT are worlds apart too IMO. There are rides I'd push but others I wouldn't. I've known far too many kids who hated ToT and refused to ride again because they went on too young. The story is scary for little ones and the drop sequence now is randomized so you don't know how many you will get.
The story line alone for ToT would send my godson screaming and running for the nearest CM. Space Mountain, I'm pretty sure I can get him on (it's my favorite and we'll be in MK on my bday, so he can have whatever he wants as long as he rides it). ToT I think we'll save for the next trip.

Last edited:

correcaminos

The story line alone for ToT would send my godson screaming and running for the nearest CM. Space Mountain, I'm pretty sure I can get him on (it's my favorite and we'll be in MK on my bday, so he can whatever he wants as long as he rides it). ToT I think we'll save for the next trip.
Yeah I admit I'm a wuss with movies/shows/stories like that as is my 9yo. I'm such a thrill junkie that I gloss over it but my 9yo isn't able to do that as well as I do LOL

Space Mt. should be easy for you to talk them into. It's really just a kiddie coaster inside. At least that's how we view it. Jerky, but still a kiddie coaster.

21stamps

In these threads I always think about how subjective it is. My kid was doing a slingshot at 5.. it could have scared him, but it didn't.. (I think he was a little scared the first time though, just wouldn't admit it)..however a year and a half later he chickened out of a sky flyer ride- which imo is a lot less scary than a drop ride and definitely less scary than a sling shot..but I saw real fear on his face after we were completely harnessed up, given the nature of that attraction, and not wanting a crying kid suspended in the air, I decided to save it for a later time. He didn't go on it until the weekend that he turned 7, and loved it when he did. Proclaimed "that's not half as scary as a Slingshot. It's not even as scary as Drop Tower!" We laughed over the fear he had 9 months prior.

Some people get scared of coasters, or certain types of coasters, or drop rides, or being suspended by a cord and harness a couple of hundred feet up... I do think the adult in the situation is the final judge in it...but sometimes I think people project what they think "is scary for little kids" onto the child, and sometimes end up preventing them from possible enjoyment.

@Minnie1986 I totally agree that I wouldn't want a child angry and crying after departing a ride at WDW (or anywhere), so I understand when the person in that situation decides to hold off if the child's fear is too strong. I still recommend letting them talk to other kids though. If he still chooses not to do it, that's fine..but you won't know until you're there..maybe just grab a FP and see how it goes then? You can always switch it for another if he says no.

There's plenty of parents who think I'm crazy for taking a 5 & 6 year old on the type of rides my kid has been on. So I realize that my way isn't the only way.lol

correcaminos

In these threads I always think about how subjective it is. My kid was doing a slingshot at 5.. it could have scared him, but it didn't.. (I think he was a little scared the first time though, just wouldn't admit it)..however a year and a half later he chickened out of a sky flyer ride- which imo is a lot less scary than a drop ride and definitely less scary than a sling shot..but I saw real fear on his face after we were completely harnessed up, given the nature of that attraction, and not wanting a crying kid suspended in the air, I decided to save it for a later time. He didn't go on it until the weekend that he turned 7, and loved it when he did. Proclaimed "that's not half as scary as a Slingshot. It's not even as scary as Drop Tower!" We laughed over the fear he had 9 months prior.

Some people get scared of coasters, or certain types of coasters, or drop rides, or being suspended by a cord and harness a couple of hundred feet up... I do think the adult in the situation is the final judge in it...but sometimes I think people project what they think "is scary for little kids" onto the child, and sometimes end up preventing them from possible enjoyment.

@Minnie1986 I totally agree that I wouldn't want a child angry and crying after departing a ride at WDW (or anywhere), so I understand when the person in that situation decides to hold off if the child's fear is too strong. I still recommend letting them talk to other kids though. If he still chooses not to do it, that's fine..but you won't know until you're there..maybe just grab a FP and see how it goes then? You can always switch it for another if he says no.

There's plenty of parents who think I'm crazy for taking a 5 & 6 year old on the type of rides my kid has been on. So I realize that my way isn't the only way.lol
It is subjective. And you have to know your kids. I don't think you are crazy for taking kids you know can handle it. I was one of those kids.

My brother on the other hand didn't do an inverted coaster until he was in high school (16 I think he said). I did it as soon as I was tall enough for one at Kings Island.

My 9yo the story of ToT scares him more than the drop. I cannot push on that. I have sweet talked him into EE and RnR though. That said he rode BTM at 3 (he's tall for his age) but had to walk off of TT (due to the loud noises, those scared him). Sometimes it's all about what a kid is scared of.

So push a little is fine, but try not to be one of those parents whose kids scream the whole time out of fear. That's what I was saying because I've seen that :( One thing that helps us is to compare it to past rides or to view the ride videos. We can judge a little better when they know what to expect.

Minnie1986

Original Poster

This is so true. My godson is also my cousin and our mutual cousin (3 weeks older than my godson to the day) is an adrenaline junkie. That kid will get on ANYTHING and has had ZERO fear since day 1. Kids vary so greatly. Most of my godson's fear of heights, roller coasters, etc dissipates somewhat easily once he is on the ride and/or when he is not with his actual mother. She has a tendency to play up his fears if he shows any inclination of uncertainty. As someone who works in psychology, I may be using this trip to get him over it (within reason of course. If he gives a definitive NO, then that's what it is).

Minnie1986

Original Poster
It is subjective. And you have to know your kids. I don't think you are crazy for taking kids you know can handle it. I was one of those kids.

My brother on the other hand didn't do an inverted coaster until he was in high school (16 I think he said). I did it as soon as I was tall enough for one at Kings Island.

My 9yo the story of ToT scares him more than the drop. I cannot push on that. I have sweet talked him into EE and RnR though. That said he rode BTM at 3 (he's tall for his age) but had to walk off of TT (due to the loud noises, those scared him). Sometimes it's all about what a kid is scared of.

So push a little is fine, but try not to be one of those parents whose kids scream the whole time out of fear. That's what I was saying because I've seen that :( One thing that helps us is to compare it to past rides or to view the ride videos. We can judge a little better when they know what to expect.
Great advice. I will do some gentle nudging on the rides I know he will be able to handle. But, as always, no means no.

21stamps

This is so true. My godson is also my cousin and our mutual cousin (3 weeks older than my godson to the day) is an adrenaline junkie. That kid will get on ANYTHING and has had ZERO fear since day 1. Kids vary so greatly. Most of my godson's fear of heights, roller coasters, etc dissipates somewhat easily once he is on the ride and/or when he is not with his actual mother. She has a tendency to play up his fears if he shows any inclination of uncertainty. As someone who works in psychology, I may be using this trip to get him over it (within reason of course. If he gives a definitive NO, then that's what it is).

Totally understand. The one time I let my son "chicken out" I looked at his face and looked into real fear, eyes welling up, shaking.. it wasn't a normal, 'little scared' or 'nervous' it was pure dread.. I did not want to inflict that on a 6 year old,..and I know him well enough to know that this time was different. I don't ever suggest pushing past that point! But nudging, bribing, letting them talk to other kids.. I'm highly for, unfortunately that time absolutely nothing could convince him. You'll know what to do when there :).

21stamps

Here's where my kid chickened out.. Paid for the ride, waited in line for half hour.. watched people do it.. then after being entirely harnessed on the pad he told the workers "please take me down". We were positioned exactly like this photo.. but the box was still up. We had to get completely unharnessed and leave. Lol. I think he was more scared of going up than he was of the actual "flying". Crazy that he loves it so much not even a year later. Kids, so unpredictable. ;)
IMG_2909.JPG

IMG_2908.JPG

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Totally understand. The one time I let my son "chicken out" I looked at his face and looked into real fear, eyes welling up, shaking.. it wasn't a normal, 'little scared' or 'nervous' it was pure dread.. I did not want to inflict that on a 6 year old,..and I know him well enough to know that this time was different. I don't ever suggest pushing past that point! But nudging, bribing, letting them talk to other kids.. I'm highly for, unfortunately that time absolutely nothing could convince him. You'll know what to do when there :).
Thanks!

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Here's where my kid chickened out.. Paid for the ride, waited in line for half hour.. watched people do it.. then after being entirely harnessed on the pad he told the workers "please take me down". We were positioned exactly like this photo.. but the box was still up. We had to get completely unharnessed and leave. Lol. I think he was more scared of going up than he was of the actual "flying". Crazy that he loves it so much not even a year later. Kids, so unpredictable. ;)
View attachment 220600

View attachment 220601
I think the going up part would've gotten me too!

21stamps

I think the going up part would've gotten me too!

I'm not going to lie, I was scared the first time I actually did it with him.. you have to pull your own cord to release, so you're just at a stand still so high up.. staring at a thin cord holding you, and the ground way below. After they announce for you to pull you lunge forward and down jerking you and flinging your legs up over your head.. I just remember praying repeatedly that my skinny kid wouldn't fall out.lol. After all of that then the flying part is tame.

JillC LI

ToT is a very mild drop ride.

Nuh uh!!!! It may be tamer than other drop rides around the country but it most definitely is not a "mild" drop. In fact, it is the flinging back up again that I hate more than the drops.

That said ToT is NOT a mild drop ride.
RnR to me is actually more tame feeling and would be my pick for trying to get a kid on.

I agree wholeheartedly! I gave myself two tries on ToT and hated it both times. RnRC I love (although I wouldn't recommend it for a young child with a fear of coasters).

It is subjective. And you have to know your kids.

Precisely. My son was ready for ToT at age 7 but my daughter not until age 9. While kids should be encouraged to overcome theme park fears - much like my hubby did for me as an adult - they shouldn't be pushed. If an when your child is ready, s/he can give it a shot.

JohnD

I know, without question, there is no way in hell I am getting my 8yo godson on either RocknRoller Coaster or Tower of Terror. My current HS FP+s' are for Toy Story Midway mania, Star Tours, and Muppets 3D. Is Muppets 3D a waste of an HS fastpass (knowing my limitations with him). If so, what else would you suggest? Thank you!

Don't feel so bad. I've been to WDW multiple times since 2013 and I have yet to go on RnRC or M:S. (I plan on M:S in the near future with the total change in the Green version). I've avoided those like the plague. I've done ToT but I just don't like loops which is why I haven't done RnRC. I guess it's up to you deciding which one is better. Otherwise, stick with your plan of using the FP+ for Muppets then just schedule your 4th or more for Star Tours or TS if you can get it.

21stamps

Nuh uh!!!! It may be tamer than other drop rides around the country but it most definitely is not a "mild" drop. In fact, it is the flinging back up again that I hate more than the drops.

I agree wholeheartedly! I gave myself two tries on ToT and hated it both times. RnRC I love (although I wouldn't recommend it for a young child with a fear of coasters).

Precisely. My son was ready for ToT at age 7 but my daughter not until age 9. While kids should be encouraged to overcome theme park fears - much like my hubby did for me as an adult - they shouldn't be pushed. If an when your child is ready, s/he can give it a shot.

That's why I say it's so subjective. My kid at 5 wasn't scared in the slightest bit.. same with our family members and most friends from age 4 on.

The reason I feel other Drop Rides are worse is because you can see the height..going all the way up, and you're stopped at the top before dropping, but the drop itself has never felt scary to me or my kid. '"Fear of a lot of things is irrational if you haven't experienced it" is what I constantly tell my child.. if you try something and don't like it, then at least you know. But there are times when the fear is too great to be pushed, that's a judgement call by the adult..and I agree that you shouldn't force a screaming kid to try something.. I do think you should get them to see that they are acting irrational...but depending on their reaction, and the attraction itself, it can be best to skip.

I think it's much more a personal thing than it is a "kid" or "age" thing.

Last edited:

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Don't feel so bad. I've been to WDW multiple times since 2013 and I have yet to go on RnRC or M:S. (I plan on M:S in the near future with the total change in the Green version). I've avoided those like the plague. I've done ToT but I just don't like loops which is why I haven't done RnRC. I guess it's up to you deciding which one is better. Otherwise, stick with your plan of using the FP+ for Muppets then just schedule your 4th or more for Star Tours or TS if you can get it.
Good plan. Thanks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom