Alternative HS FastPass suggestion

Minnie1986

Original Poster
I know, without question, there is no way in hell I am getting my 8yo godson on either RocknRoller Coaster or Tower of Terror. My current HS FP+s' are for Toy Story Midway mania, Star Tours, and Muppets 3D. Is Muppets 3D a waste of an HS fastpass (knowing my limitations with him). If so, what else would you suggest? Thank you!

AmandaS.

I know, without question, there is no way in hell I am getting my 8yo godson on either RocknRoller Coaster or Tower of Terror. My current HS FP+s' are for Toy Story Midway mania, Star Tours, and Muppets 3D. Is Muppets 3D a waste of an HS fastpass (knowing my limitations with him). If so, what else would you suggest? Thank you!

You won't need the Muppets 3D FP, but you might as well use it. There aren't any others that are better. The great movie ride would be an ok choice, but that's closing. After using it you may be able to find a 4th FP for star tours again or toy story. But pickings will be slim since there is so little open there now.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
You won't need the Muppets 3D FP, but you might as well use it. There aren't any others that are better. The great movie ride would be an ok choice, but that's closing. After using it you may be able to find a 4th FP for star tours again or toy story. But pickings will be slim since there is so little open there now.
Yeah, because he won't go on the big 2 in HS, I figured I'd rather have the Muppets 3D that let that third FP go to waste.

21stamps

Are you sure he won't go on them? ToT is a very mild drop ride. Any way that you can convince him to try them? Or at least one?
Offer him a bribe? ;)

If not, we loved the Frozen Sing a Long and very bummed that we couldn't get a FP for it last year.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
He gets scared when Elsa turns into the ice queen, so I think I used all of my good graces to convince him to try Frozen Ever After ( I wasn't joking when I said this kid can be a scardey cat). I will try though, because I love ToT.

21stamps

He gets scared when Elsa turns into the ice queen, so I think I used all of my good graces to convince him to try Frozen Ever After ( I wasn't joking when I said this kid can be a scardey cat). I will try though, because I love ToT.

Bribe.. with ice cream or a Star Wars souvenir cup ;). He just might love it! If not, then at least he'll know for sure.. plus have a new treat after. :)

21stamps

My kid's an adrenaline junkie, but I took my niece and nephew back in 2008 when they were 3 & 6.

My niece was a scardey cat.. I had to bribe her to go on Space Mountain, she ended up loving it! But she was almost in tears before we got on, I just kept promising her a toy afterwards.lol. I did tease her after she expressed how much she enjoyed the ride...sometimes forcing/bribing turns out to be exactly what the kid needed.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
My kid's an adrenaline junkie, but I took my niece and nephew back in 2008 when they were 3 & 6.

My niece was a scardey cat.. I had to bribe her to go on Space Mountain, she ended up loving it! But she was almost in tears before we got on, I just kept promising her a toy afterwards.lol. I did tease her after she expressed how much she enjoyed the ride...sometimes forcing/bribing turns out to be exactly what the kid needed.
That's my plan for this trip. His mom had always played into his fears, which in my opinion, has only n made them worse.

awhit066

Not to go off on too much of a tangent, but can you actually book a 4th fastness for a ride you've already done? For some reason I thought you couldn't double dip.

21stamps

That's my plan for this trip. His mom had always played into his fears, which in my opinion, has only n made them worse.

I'm sure there's many people who disagree with me, but I just feel like fears should be faced.. most of the time kids are just scared because something is unknown.. if they hate it then ok, but at least they tried.. and more often than not I think they end up enjoying it- faced a fear, overcame it, confidence builder, and had fun. Triple Win :)

Ali Mouse

Is there anyone else going? If so get fast passes for RnR or TOT and take turns going on it. Then after both of you take your turn one of you can ride again with the child's band. There is an ice cream place right outside of the rides that the kiddo can eat at while one person goes on.
That way also if you get there and the kiddo changes their mind and wants to ride it you can! I would definitely go RnR over TOT...I think the pre-show of TOT will scare him off of going on the ride. Plus RRC and TOT have to be my favorite rides!!! My 8 year old nephew last year was scared to go on RRC but he gave it a try because he said "I like Rock'n Roll" and he had no idea that it looped upside down. He rode on it 2 more times that day...he loved it!
If no one else is going there are Character Meet and Greets or Little Mermaid that always have way longer waits than Muppets or Frozen.We have always walked right in for Muppets and Frozen.

Last edited:

correcaminos

I'm sure there's many people who disagree with me, but I just feel like fears should be faced.. most of the time kids are just scared because something is unknown.. if they hate it then ok, but at least they tried.. and more often than not I think they end up enjoying it- faced a fear, overcame it, confidence builder, and had fun. Triple Win :)
I do agree fears should be faced. I've talked my son up to rides that I knew he could do but was afraid to. That said there are limits to this. We have walked out of Test Track (the old *very* loud version) and Haunted Mansion because I could see the fear was real and he was only 3. There needs to be a way for kids to feel safe and yet encouraged to 'fly' so to speak. So I am all for trying to talk you child into something, but I have seen parents push so hard their kids were in tears. One parent kept pinching their child when they whined. It was horrible to watch.

I was a total adrenaline junkie growing up. My siblings were not. So I rode a lot that they didn't. My son isn't near as scared as my brother was, but I see similarities there.

That said ToT is NOT a mild drop ride. I would say if you try to tell your child that, it's quite dishonest. I convinced my child to do RnR at 9 finally and it took some talking. ToT we still haven't done. I've known parents who take their kids on and they wind up hating it because it scared the crap out of them. RnR to me is actually more tame feeling and would be my pick for trying to get a kid on.

@Minnie1986 we actually had the same FP+ as you did. We did wind up adding in RnR (not as an original FP though) and while we didn't need the Muppets FP, we just used it so we could get more after.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
I do agree fears should be faced. I've talked my son up to rides that I knew he could do but was afraid to. That said there are limits to this. We have walked out of Test Track (the old *very* loud version) and Haunted Mansion because I could see the fear was real and he was only 3. There needs to be a way for kids to feel safe and yet encouraged to 'fly' so to speak. So I am all for trying to talk you child into something, but I have seen parents push so hard their kids were in tears. One parent kept pinching their child when they whined. It was horrible to watch.

I was a total adrenaline junkie growing up. My siblings were not. So I rode a lot that they didn't. My son isn't near as scared as my brother was, but I see similarities there.

That said ToT is NOT a mild drop ride. I would say if you try to tell your child that, it's quite dishonest. I convinced my child to do RnR at 9 finally and it took some talking. ToT we still haven't done. I've known parents who take their kids on and they wind up hating it because it scared the crap out of them. RnR to me is actually more tame feeling and would be my pick for trying to get a kid on.

@Minnie1986 we actually had the same FP+ as you did. We did wind up adding in RnR (not as an original FP though) and while we didn't need the Muppets FP, we just used it so we could get more after.
I agree, there is nothing mild about the drop for ToT; it still gets me sometimes and I've been on it a thousand times. I'm a huge Aerosmith fan and have been broadening his music tastes since he was much younger, so hopefully, I can use that to talk him into trying the ride.

correcaminos

I agree, there is nothing mild about the drop for ToT; it still gets me sometimes and I've been on it a thousand times. I'm a huge Aerosmith fan and have been broadening his music tastes since he was much younger, so hopefully, I can use that to talk him into trying the ride.
We also used my son's love of music to get him into it. I also told him that thrill wise, EE was more intense than RnR (which in my and my DH's opinion it is) and that it would be between 7DMT and EE intensity wise. With the rock music and once he believed we weren't lying about how intense it was, he was far more willing to do it. He loved it! I knew he would too. Honestly I'm not sure when he'll be ready for ToT. It can really get to people. Me? I find it okay and a bit boring (I'm not into just repeated drops) but the story I like.

Good luck!

Minnie1986

Original Poster
We also used my son's love of music to get him into it. I also told him that thrill wise, EE was more intense than RnR (which in my and my DH's opinion it is) and that it would be between 7DMT and EE intensity wise. With the rock music and once he believed we weren't lying about how intense it was, he was far more willing to do it. He loved it! I knew he would too. Honestly I'm not sure when he'll be ready for ToT. It can really get to people. Me? I find it okay and a bit boring (I'm not into just repeated drops) but the story I like.

Good luck!
I think the repeated drops, more than anything, would be the problem. One drop, he'd throw a fit and get over it once I put a churro in his hand. But multiple, my Amex would be hurting in order to get that kid not to hate me lol

21stamps

There's a big difference between ToT and one of the several Drop Tower rides around the country is what I meant. It's very mild comparatively.. I would not convince a child to go on one of those for their first ever ride experience. ToT, I would.
I'm very glad that I bribed my niece to go on Space Mountain back then.. now she's a teen who loves roller coasters.

And that day when she was 6, she was a proud little girl who faced a fear, overcame it, and begged to "do it again!"

Her mom wouldn't have pushed her to do it, and was shocked when she found out how much she enjoyed it. I feel like sometimes pushing kids is good. Different strokes.. that's why I said "plenty of people may disagree with me.."lol

21stamps

I think the repeated drops, more than anything, would be the problem. One drop, he'd throw a fit and get over it once I put a churro in his hand. But multiple, my Amex would be hurting in order to get that kid not to hate me lol

Your call! I'm not trying to convince, just sharing my experience. I think what makes ToT "mild" is that you don't lift up.. just quick drops.. you're never dangling hundreds of feet in the air staring at everything below.lol. To me that's the scariest part of "drop rides"

One other suggestion- maybe sit outside for awhile, show him all of the "little kids" who are going inside. Let him talk to a kid walking out and ask the kid if they enjoyed it. I think that can help a lot.

Good luck in whatever you decide :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom