Alligators captured at Disney doubles

The Empress Lilly

Oh my paradise, this other Eden, what happened to you!?

polynesian-resort-3-web.jpg

images

Goofyernmost

^That's essentially how it looks now. The original picture is simply not accurate.
You might want to climb on down from your tower and realize that cameras of the day did not have the kind of clarity and color reproduction of today's digital camera's. and over time they faded or just distorted. Photo-shopped would be a waste of time now and wasn't even a thing back then. And frankly it was darker and less algaed then now, that is were the green comes from. So it was pretty close to accurate back then.

JoeCamel

You might want to climb on down from your tower and realize that cameras of the day did not have the kind of clarity and color reproduction of today's digital camera's. and over time they faded or just distorted. Photo-shopped would be a waste of time now and wasn't even a thing back then. And frankly it was darker and less algaed then now, that is were the green comes from. So it was pretty close to accurate back then.
No, the photo is not accurate. It has the same problem with all that red is a fugitive pigment so it left leaving the blue and green to predominate. It is what they wanted it to be not what was.

Goofyernmost

No, the photo is not accurate. It has the same problem with all that red is a fugitive pigment so it left leaving the blue and green to predominate. It is what they wanted it to be not what was.
Well, my eyes do not use film and I remember it dark blue in the early years (really depends on the sky at the time since it is just a refection of that). Water isn't really blue. It does, however, turn green because of algae. Does it really matter, it is what it is now. It was what it was then.

Goofyernmost

Also allagators were just about hunted out anywhere near Disney and if they were spotted at Disney I'm sure they were shot on sight but again the laws changed and the gators became protected. For you young people the world has change a lot since the late 60's.
Be patient, it appears to be headed back like it is attached to a bungee cord. Almost 60 years of progress is shooting down the tubes.

rael ramone

Alligators getting captured is bad because....?

Second thoughts:

My prior post said moving the critters is 'a good thing'.

If moving is a euphemism of 'taking these creatures that have been altered by humans from their natural behavior into one much more dangerous and putting them down', then that's good (not for the gators, but for people).

But seeing that Disney Gators present an increased risk on the public.... taking gators that have had their natural aversion to humans taken away from then and moving them from a resort where there is a group that deals with them and moving them to where they then put the residents of Florida at risk.....

It's kinda like relocating an animal with rabies....

JoeCamel

Second thoughts:

My prior post said moving the critters is 'a good thing'.

If moving is a euphemism of 'taking these creatures that have been altered by humans from their natural behavior into one much more dangerous and putting them down', then that's good (not for the gators, but for people).

But seeing that Disney Gators present an increased risk on the public.... taking gators that have had their natural aversion to humans taken away from then and moving them from a resort where there is a group that deals with them and moving them to where they then put the residents of Florida at risk.....

It's kinda like relocating an animal with rabies....
Removal means removal.
From the FWC website;
Why does the FWC not relocate nuisance alligators in Florida?
Florida has a healthy and stable alligator population. We have about 1.3 million alligators in Florida. Alligators live in all 67 counties, and they inhabit all wild areas of Florida that can support them. The removal of nuisance alligators does not have a significant impact on our state's alligator population.

Relocated alligators often try to return to their capture site. They can create problems for people or other alligators along the way. If an alligator successfully returns, capturing it again would be necessary and likely more difficult the second time.

To avoid creating a problem at the release site, nuisance alligators would need to be relocated to remote areas where they would not encounter people. These remote areas already have healthy alligator populations, and the ones that already live there have established social structures. The introduction of a new alligator to these areas would likely cause fighting, possibly resulting in the death of a resident alligator or the introduced alligator.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Removal means removal.
From the FWC website;
Why does the FWC not relocate nuisance alligators in Florida?
Florida has a healthy and stable alligator population. We have about 1.3 million alligators in Florida. Alligators live in all 67 counties, and they inhabit all wild areas of Florida that can support them. The removal of nuisance alligators does not have a significant impact on our state's alligator population.

Relocated alligators often try to return to their capture site. They can create problems for people or other alligators along the way. If an alligator successfully returns, capturing it again would be necessary and likely more difficult the second time.

To avoid creating a problem at the release site, nuisance alligators would need to be relocated to remote areas where they would not encounter people. These remote areas already have healthy alligator populations, and the ones that already live there have established social structures. The introduction of a new alligator to these areas would likely cause fighting, possibly resulting in the death of a resident alligator or the introduced alligator.
The "remote area" I'd like to see these 'gators removed to would be the middle of a butter-toasted bun, thinly sliced, battered, deep-fried and cajun-seasoned.

Astro_Digital

You ever think, you know "Tourists", people are the invaders.
Walt Disney World in the scheme of things is a gaudy, loud, icon to capitalism that nobody should be proud of.
A healthy and nature central Florida would be all swamps, alligators and their natural prey.

When the planet has only cities and places like Walt Disney World and all wild life is driven out the planet is closer to death.

JoeCamel

You ever think, you know "Tourists", people are the invaders.
Walt Disney World in the scheme of things is a gaudy, loud, icon to capitalism that nobody should be proud of.
A healthy and nature central Florida would be all swamps, alligators and their natural prey.

When the planet has only cities and places like Walt Disney World and all wild life is driven out the planet is closer to death.
So I guess we tear it all down and clean it up so the animals can enjoy the Florida sunshine? Everyone out of the pool! Astro Digital wants to return Florida to the swamps

Astro_Digital

Do not be insane.
I just do not think we need to be proud, destroying habitat in every country and continent.
Rain forests and nature be damned, us the 8 billion talking apes are more important.

So there are alligators in Florida instead of controlling them control the morons that come in contact with them.
Look honey an alligator get the kids and we will take a picture, oh lets feed it a turkey leg.

JoeCamel

Do not be insane.
I just do not think we need to be proud, destroying habitat in every country and continent.
Rain forests and nature be damned, us the 8 billion talking apes are more important.

So there are alligators in Florida instead of controlling them control the morons that come in contact with them.
Look honey an alligator get the kids and we will take a picture, oh lets feed it a turkey leg.
Gotcha, we are bad but we are here.
Not gonna work in this environment, just let it gooooo!!!! Too late to change, too much money this course has been plotted so many times before the reality just screams to take another tack. It ain't gonna happen so live with what is - not what you want it to be or wish it was....

Last edited:

21stamps

Do not be insane.

I guess you could force people to stop reproducing... that would stop it.

Your words are why I will never live in Parkland. Florida or Weston, Fl etc etc.
I won’t live in a city that was built basically on the Everglades, worried about gators and such in my backyard. The thing is though, there’s just too many people, so new places have to be built. Florida still has protected areas, still undeveloped, and will remain undeveloped. So don’t be too sad. The nature is still there..plenty of it.

Bocabear

I wonder if Disney use to dump copper sulfate into the lake? It's used to kill algae in ponds and would work in a lake with a big enough amount. Also realize when WDW was built the EPA really didn't exist or was just forming, in other words Disney could through just about any chemical in that lake. I don't know what was around back then? They use to have great stuff to kill bugs etc. back in the day. DDT is still used in the third world because nothing simply beats it for cheap pest bug killer. It does have down sides and that's why it's not used in the US any more. Bet DDT was sprayed in the swamps around Disney.

Universal uses copper sulfate in their water ways but those don't go anywhere and aren't natural. Disney's drain out into nature I believe. I don't think you can use that stuff in a natural waterway?
The two lakes had different color water back then...7 Seas Lagoon was man made and newly dug, and did not have the algae growth of the neighboring natural Bay Lake... So for the first decade or so, the waters of Seven Seas Lagoon were more bluish green...much clearer, the swimming was great,..over time they changed and dakened to what they are now. We have two quarry lakes nearby down here in South Florida...about 15 years ago they were a beautiful turquoise color water... Very pretty...Over time that has changed and now they are the same dark water we see everywhere else...
So, YES! the water was a different color back in the 70s...The water was cleaner and clearer in 7 Seas Lagoon...It's not photo shop or faded pictures...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom