Allegiant Air discontinues flights to Orlando from Wichita

CLandrum

Allegiant Air announced today that they are no longer going to offer flights flying out of Wichita, Ks. to Orlando. This means are plane tickets will noe cost 2-3 times more than what we would normally pay.:eek: My plans for next trip are going to need to change dramatically. I am not sure how many people on here are from Wichita but it really sucks for me. Is this effecting anyone else?

MKCP 1985

They fly in and out of the airport where I live, too. Since they began service and up until now, they have changed the dates of the return flights so that you can get home on Sunday now (used to be Monday afternoon return). . .

and they have almost doubled the price of their cheapest tickets from $39 to $69 (just announced for September/October flights). . .

but the most important thing is they are still flying, at least for now. :cool:

Upvote 0

CLandrum

Original Poster
I wish that was the case. Our flights with Allegiant were around $200-$350 round trip. Now with other airlines a round trip flight for one person is about $400-$700. That adds up quite a bit with 4 people going. I guess with all the changes and price increases with the airline companies I might have to suffer the 2 day drive down there. I guess it will be worth it though for Disney.

Upvote 0

dxwwf3

Hopefully they will continue to fly out of Tri-Cities until at least after July. I would hate for my $100 round trip tickets to go to waste.

Upvote 0

macsmom

Have you checked surrounding airports and how much it would cost to fly out to Orlando? My sister and her husband actually figured out it is cheaper to drive a few hours to another airport and take a flight from there. I can't remember how far Wichita is from other towns. I just know it takes a while to drive from here! I was really disappointed in my flight from Springfield, MO to Las Vegas. My ticket was under $200 and then they added on costs, including a fee for handling my suitcase, and the final price was around $275. Then they wanted to charge me $2 for a can of soda. They sure do nickel and dime you.

danna

Upvote 0

CLandrum

Original Poster
I am checking today how much it would be to either fly out of Oklahoma City(a 2.5 hour drive) or Kansas City(a 3.5 hour drive). I hope to find a decent deal. Alegiant Air is honoring the tickets already sold but they are not scheduling anymore flights to Orlando after August. So your ticket will still be good even if they do the same thing there so hopefully that will aleve any fears you might have.

Upvote 0

MKCP 1985

I was really disappointed in my flight from Springfield, MO to Las Vegas. My ticket was under $200 and then they added on costs, including a fee for handling my suitcase, and the final price was around $275. Then they wanted to charge me $2 for a can of soda. They sure do nickel and dime you.

danna

I do believe they may be writing the book on nickel and diming customers! :lol:

a sample:

one way ticket $69
seat assignment: $13
check a bag: $20

real price before taxes and airport fees: $102

yep, you can buy snacks and soft drinks in flight, and of course, cocktails. . .

but . . . the flights are cheap and the jet service is not bad, so if you want to go for cheap(er), Allegiant may be the airline for you! :lol: I've flown them once and will fly them again this fall.

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

Just a reminder...

Allegiant Airlines currently only services Sanford International Airport (SFB) and does not fly into Orlando International Airport (MCO) so Disney's Magical Express is not available.

Upvote 0

CLandrum

Original Poster
I found Airtran out of Wichita has some ok deals. For 4 people round trip with all fees it is going to be $944. So I will take it and not have to cram the family into the car fro the two day drive.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

macsmom

I do believe they may be writing the book on nickel and diming customers! :lol:

a sample:

one way ticket $69
seat assignment: $13
check a bag: $20

real price before taxes and airport fees: $102

yep, you can buy snacks and soft drinks in flight, and of course, cocktails. . .

but . . . the flights are cheap and the jet service is not bad, so if you want to go for cheap(er), Allegiant may be the airline for you! :lol: I've flown them once and will fly them again this fall.

We were charged $10 to check our bag, but while standing in line, the women in front of us were told $40 since they didn't claim a bag when they made their reservations. The prices went from $10/20 to $20/40. But, they were on their way to Vegas (Cha-ching!) so they paid the price.

Also, next time, I will buy a soda/drink before I leave. I didn't think I would want one on the 3 hour flight, but better safe than sorry next time.

Ticket went from $187 to $275. Talk about cha-ching.

danna

Upvote 0

Jodileigh

We're flying out of Wichita in August. I seriously considered Allegiant when I was booking my flights, but decided I really do NOT want to rent a car and would much rather use ME, so I ended up booking with AirTran. The boys and I (the boys are 13 and 8) are flying for $708 including all the fees. Not great, but not bad for out of Wichita. The big plus to Allegiant was the NONSTOP feature! I would love to try nonstop just one time! But now out of ICT there are only layover options. But, after all these years we're pretty used to it and have even learned to incorporate our layover into our trip excitement! There's always a starbucks stop for my oldest DS and I and we always eat a nice breakfast in the airport (whichever one our layover is in!) while we await our next flight. We call dh, too. So, it's not so bad. It's just all in how you look at it!

Jodi

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom