All WDW Resort Hotels non-smoking effective June 1st!

travelskip

Confirmed on the Cast Member Intranet:

New Smoke-Free Policy

All Walt Disney World® Resorts, including Disney Vacation Club Resorts, will become smoke-free on June 1, 2007. During the past five years Guest demand for smoking rooms has been declining steadily. Currently, less than 3.5 percent of Walt Disney World's 24,000 resort rooms are smoking optional.

The new policy applies to all guest rooms, patios, and balconies, and designates outdoor smoking areas at all resorts affected by the change. Smoking is currently prohibited in all lobbies, restaurants, and convention spaces. This policy will allow us to better accommodate the large numbers of Guests and Members who request non-smoking accommodations and complements our efforts to provide our Guests with the healthy living options they are requesting.

Ciciwoowoo

I think that is great news!

The only thing I wonder about is if they make it too difficult for someone who is a smoker to smoke, they may just smoke in their room. I really think that people should still be allowed to smoke on their balconies. I would rather have them do it in the open air than ruin a room with the smoke because they try to hide it.

Upvote 0

SANDKRUSER

The only thing I wonder about is if they make it too difficult for someone who is a smoker to smoke, they may just smoke in their room. I really think that people should still be allowed to smoke on their balconies. I would rather have them do it in the open air than ruin a room with the smoke because they try to hide it.

I would agree with having them smoke outside. My sister is an ex-smoker but when she smoked, she used to go into the bathroom and turn on the vent/fan and think that you couldn't smell it! Phew - if you're a non-smoker - you can smell a cigarette a mile away and several hours old - it hangs in the air and on any material (curtains, etc.) - it always surprises me that smokers don't think non-smokers can smell it.

On the other hand, I feel (somewhat) bad for the smokers - it seems like their rights are being violated like ours were before non-smoking sections! I live in Minnesota where they are contemplating a statewide ban of smoking in public places - I hope it goes through. In the county I live in it's already in effect - it's great to go into a bar or restaurant and not smell like a stale cigarette when you walk out.

It bothers me though that in many places at WDW - I see people smoking in "non-smoking" areas - some ppl just don't care for the rights of others. Personally, I'd prefer not to die from lung cancer - I've had several smoker friends that have.

Upvote 0

Wilt Dasney

Agreed.

The direction these laws and private restrictions are headed, taking up smoking looks like a less good idea every day. In addition to all the health issues, young people who pick up the habit today are basically assuring themselves of a future spent walking half a mile every time they need to light up or trying to get around the rules when no one's looking.

Upvote 0

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Oh well. I guess I can't bring my crack pipe with me to the resorts now :mad:

:lookaroun :lol: :zipit:

Upvote 0

2excitedkids

well, if this is true, good thing me and hubby stopped smoking 3 weeks ago. we are coming back to the world in sept., if this was to happen and we still smoked i am not sure if hubby could stand it! on our last visit in feb. we stayed at a condo that was smoke free but were allowed to smoke on the balconies and that is what we did. i can respect the fact that not everyone smokes and if it is nonsmoking that is what we adhere to. i still find it hard to believe that all of disney hotels are going smoke free, just seems like discrimination to me, and not everyone is going to abide by the rules.

Upvote 0

miles1

As a smoker, I even think this is a good idea. Too many smokers are inconsiderate of others that don't, and I personally hate smoking indoors; I always go outside away from an area where it will bother anyone (even at home).

I can also see how this will cut the maintenance cost of picking up butts and cleaning rooms.

We once had a smoking room at CBR that was literally still smoking when we checked in. Even after four days, the smell still bothered me. Now we always request non smoking and I go elsewhere, outside when I feel the need. It's really not that much of an inconvenience.

Upvote 0

debpeduz

I would assume that Disney would not make it difficult for smokers to still smoke. It would now be more of a common courtesy on the smokers part to only smoke in the designated smoking areas. It already has to be done in the parks, why not the hotels.

Now, as a non smoker, I am pleased that Disney is doing this. I am also glad it is reaching as far as the balconies and patios of the rooms too. What if you have your balcony door open and the person in the room next to you decides to smoke on theirs. Then, that smoke would travel right into your room. It wouldn't be non-smoking any more. I have family members who are allergic to the smoke and with Disney making this progressive change for the better only makes us love Disney more (if that could happen).

Upvote 0

imamouse

This is fantastic news! A couple of times I've been placed in a smoking room by mistake and couldn't stand the stench. I'm glad that WDW is providing places for smokers, as in some cultures, smoking is the norm. I just hope that those who do smoke will respect this change in policy. I still see too many people walking around the theme parks smoking :brick:

Upvote 0

bayoutinkbelle

Most excellent news! Smoking is evil, kids. I've always felt that way and even more so now that my father is fighting lung cancer. It's not pretty.

2excitedkids, I wish you and your husband all the luck in staying off cigarettes.

Upvote 0

autigger

The only thing I wonder about is if they make it too difficult for someone who is a smoker to smoke, they may just smoke in their room.
While I very much applaud any and all efforts to further ban smoking and to keep smoke as far away as possible from my family, I also share the concern that this new policy will result in an increase of smoking violations within the rooms.

At least with the past (current) policy , I felt that smokers would be more likely to stay in smoking rooms and keep their pollution confined therein. With every room now smoke free (including former smoking rooms), this increases the likelihood that a smoking violations will have occurred in the room where my family is staying.

I hope that Disney installs some new smoke detectors in the rooms and strictly polices the new smoking policy.

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
When the smoking policy was first introduced to the parks it was firmly policed. It lasted about 3-4 years, then around '05 until present it's been in decline and CM's look the other way.

I feel the new room policy will have similiar repurcussions.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom