All this Eisner stuff...........

imagineer boy

Wow, there hasn't been a thread this hot since the "I support you Mr. Eisner!" thread. andre, "half the people here don't know what they're talking about" was very uncalled for. If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say it at all.

Heyyall

Originally posted by imagineer boy
Wow, there hasn't been a thread this hot since the "I support you Mr. Eisner!" thread. andre, "half the people here don't know what they're talking about" was very uncalled for. If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say it at all.

imagineer boy, don't be silly! Andre is right, we're all disillusional people who waste our time on these boards!:rolleyes: But of course he knows what he's talking about over all of the rest of us.

Isn't is crazy how we're the ones that are bitter and make no sense, when all that was done is double-talking on his part?

General Grizz

THESE-THINGS-ALL-LOOK-ALIKE-TO-ME DEPT.:

“Obviously, nobody has more respect for the Pixar organization than I do, particularly John Lasseter and the crews that make things like Chicken Little funny.” - - Michael Eisner at Smith Barney Media Conference, January 6, 2004

Chicken Little is a Disney in-house production... (not Pixar).

(from savedisney.com)

LMAO!!!

Shaman

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
THESE-THINGS-ALL-LOOK-ALIKE-TO-ME DEPT.:

“Obviously, nobody has more respect for the Pixar organization than I do, particularly John Lasseter and the crews that make things like Chicken Little funny.” - - Michael Eisner at Smith Barney Media Conference, January 6, 2004

Chicken Little is a Disney in-house production... (not Pixar).

(from savedisney.com)

LMAO!!!

Nice to see Eisner is on top of things...:lol:

General Grizz

One day, when Roy was discussing Chicken Little with the department, Eisner walks in and sternly says, "We're making Chicken Little a boy" - and he walks out.

And so now Chicken Little is a boy.

I'm sure it made a REAL difference to him, too. After all, PIXAR is doing it! :rolleyes:

This came out of absolutely no where. . . perhaps a little power issue?

aim

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
One day, when Roy was discussing Chicken Little with the department, Eisner walks in and sternly says, "We're making Chicken Little a boy" - and he walks out.

And so now Chicken Little is a boy.

I'm sure it made a REAL difference to him, too. After all, PIXAR is doing it! :rolleyes:

This came out of absolutely no where. . . perhaps a little power issue?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

prberk

Originally posted by MouseRight
I think us devoted Disney fans who want to see all "Walt Disney" all the time, have to realize that a Disney Channel focused on classic Disney did not work. TV is a business and when the people don't watch, the programming must change. Sorry, that's a fact of life in the real world. After the poor performance, Disney made a strategic decision to reach a child/teen demographic. While us Walt devotees are frustrated, the channel has done an excellent job of creating some great shows, that are not "Nickelodeon light" (a complaint heard on these boards). The Live action shows (Lizzie McGuire, Even Stevens, So Raven), original movies (the drag race movie with teen girl becoming a drag race champ was a good example), and animated shows like Kim Possible are really good (From a parent's perspective) and have reached the target demographic very well. Doing so, helps Disney reach a new generation who are pelted with cleverly disguised promo after promo for Theme Parks, Disney Movies, etc. My pre-teen watches many hours of the Disney channel and so do her friends. It has respectability in their world.

Time for us old folks (Age 19 to ?) to get over it and let the Disney Channel be what it has become.

You were responding to my comments about Mr. Eisner's comments where he said that he was using the Disney Channel as a "franchise machine" aimed at 'tween-agers exclusively, rather than to the whole family, as was important to Walt.

I really like many of the fresh, new shows. It is good to target the 'tweenage audience with clean shows.

My complaint was with the fact that it was an empty marketing move, and thus disengenuous. You train up cynicism when kids realize as they grow up that what they were told (sold) when they were younger was just marketing, kids-stuff.

You have a customer for life when the customer can see a larger sense of wholeness in your message. When the later hours of the Disney Channel have things that the same tweens can watch with their family, then the whole thing has context. Furthermore, the audience is broader. And the sense of family is strengthened, both in the living room and in the corporate sense.

The Disney Channel does not need to repeat "Even Stevens" ten or eleven times a day, especially overnight. Those times (or some weekend slots) should feature some of the classic Disney series and live-action movies. I am 37, and I watched the original MMC in RERUNS, twenty years after it was on live; but just like "Leave it to Beaver" or "Andy Griffith," I found it neat at the time (when I was about 12) to see what my parents were like at my age. Same would be true today for kids' grandparents, etc. [Note that many young people today still think "Beaver" and "Andy Griffith" are fun to watch: few young people cannot immitate Eddie Haskell or Barney Fife, or at least tell you who they were. It is not the age of the show, but the writing and timelessness or fun of the themes that determines its relevance to future generations.]

The Disney Channel also should continue to have live theme park shows at least once a week, even if not the MMC or an animal show from the DAK. It could be thoroughly contemporary, but a chance for modern kids to participate in the MMC-type tradition in a natural environment (the Disney-MGM Studios). Then, it would even meet Michael's "franchise machine," "business synergies" goals.

My point is that the whole family can be served without diminishing advances with shows aimed at the 'tween audience.

Finally, PLEASE NOTE: Current news about advances in audience for the Disney Channel are somewhat misleading. They ignore the fact that the channel is still in the process of changing in many markets from a premium (pay) channel to a free channel. They just became a free channel for us last year. Any channel that goes from a pay channel to free will suddenly look like a huge success in audience ratings.... irrespective of its programming.

It just frustrates me that I paid for it all those years, and as soon as it is free, they drop much of the stuff that made it distinctive for me (and to many younger people that I know)....

General Grizz

I KNOW it! I buy a cable box just for Disney channel. One year later, it's free. Ugh.

Originally posted by prberk
My complaint was with the fact that it was an empty marketing move, and thus disengenuous. You train up cynicism when kids realize as they grow up that what they were told (sold) when they were younger was just marketing, kids-stuff.

Genious. . .

[To prberk: Check this out, my friend: www.legacyanimation.net ]

MouseRight

Originally posted by prberk

You have a customer for life when the customer can see a larger sense of wholeness in your message. When the later hours of the Disney Channel have things that the same tweens can watch with their family, then the whole thing has context. Furthermore, the audience is broader. And the sense of family is strengthened, both in the living room and in the corporate sense.

The Disney Channel does not need to repeat "Even Stevens" ten or eleven times a day, especially overnight. Those times (or some weekend slots) should feature some of the classic Disney series and live-action movies. I am 37, and I watched the original MMC in RERUNS, twenty years after it was on live; but just like "Leave it to Beaver" or "Andy Griffith," I found it neat at the time (when I was about 12) to see what my parents were like at my age. Same would be true today for kids' grandparents, etc. [Note that many young people today still think "Beaver" and "Andy Griffith" are fun to watch: few young people cannot immitate Eddie Haskell or Barney Fife, or at least tell you who they were. It is not the age of the show, but the writing and timelessness or fun of the themes that determines its relevance to future generations.]

The Disney Channel also should continue to have live theme park shows at least once a week, even if not the MMC or an animal show from the DAK. It could be thoroughly contemporary, but a chance for modern kids to participate in the MMC-type tradition in a natural environment (the Disney-MGM Studios). Then, it would even meet Michael's "franchise machine," "business synergies" goals.

My point is that the whole family can be served without diminishing advances with shows aimed at the 'tween audience.

Finally, PLEASE NOTE: Current news about advances in audience for the Disney Channel are somewhat misleading. They ignore the fact that the channel is still in the process of changing in many markets from a premium (pay) channel to a free channel. They just became a free channel for us last year. Any channel that goes from a pay channel to free will suddenly look like a huge success in audience ratings.... irrespective of its programming.

Let's remember, Walt created the entire toy/collectable market based on cartoon characters. Walt himself created the Marketing machine. In order to fund Disneyland he made a deal with ABC for financing in exchange for a TV show that would not only show his animated movies, animal movies, etc, but also served as a weekly commercial for Disneyland. He kept up the strong arm of marketing throughout the 50's and 60's once a week on his TV show. The tradition is there and now that we have 24 hour channels targeted to a narrower audience, there is bound to be more of the same marketing techniques he invented.

I agree with some of your thoughts. However, your understanding of the TV market today may be a little old fashioned. It just doesn't happen today that the family sits around the TV. I know this from experience but also the research and ratings support that statement. How I wish it would be like the old days. What with soccer, baseball, band, piano lessons, parents working 2 jobs, etc. etc. the reality is the average family does not sit down to watch TV together. Though I have watched some of the made for TV movies on the Disney channel with my 11 year old, it doesn't happen every night. They in fact, do run these movies mostly in prime time to allow parents that want to watch them with their kids.

I can't argue with your comments about adding more parks or MMC stuff to the channel. However, while you criticize the marketing tool it has become, you suggest more. I'm okay with that, I just thought it was a little counter to your argument.

They tried the Old Disney stuff overnight for many years and it did not attract an audience. I do believe that in cities where it was on basic cable before and after the change in targeted demographic the Disney channel showed an increase in viewers throughout the day and night (I guess more kids are watching TV late at night than we think or perhaps the parents are secretly watching Kim Possible - I've caught my 20 year old son doing so.)

Finally, you may have a point with the Premium to Basic thing. I am not sure, but I believe that the switch in a majority of the country occurred at least 2 years ago. So while the trend is partly due to this switch, the ratings are clearly showing that kids (and some parents) are watching the channel some more.

You ignored my ABC Family Channel comment. That channel can become the Disney Family channel you vision. I'll save that for a later thread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom