All Things Streaming (VOD, OTT)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
This thread will be for all things streaming: video on demand, over the top (TV), Netflix, Roku, Chromecast, AppleTV, Amazon Video, etc...

To kick things off...

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Suck lemons, broadcast TV...

Did Disney remember to Trademark the "plus"?...

Suck lemons, Millennials...

More on Netflix scrambling for original content...

Suck lemons, original content....

Last edited:

Princess Leia

Eventually, there are going to be too many streaming services, and some of these are going to crash and burn (sorry Smithsonian).

I currently use 2- Netflix and Prime. I’m probably going to get HBO Now for the year, and then cancel it for Disney+ next year.

Netflix isn’t going away anytime soon. Hulu is thriving by taking the programs that were once on Netflix, as well as being cheaper (though with added commercials). HBO Now & Disney+ will both be fine.

Which brings us to Smithsonian, CBS, and Warner Brothers (and the old film one that I’m blanking on)- these ones are a little more niche. And who knows if they’ll succeed in the long run.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

Last edited:

erasure fan1

Netflix just raised their prices 😒
Yea this move is a bit on the baffling side. You raise prices before you are about to loose one of your biggest selling points? I know they need to pay for all this Netflix original content, but the timing seems strange. I'm really curious to see what Disney plus will cost as they said it would be less than Netflix because of the amount of content. Maybe Netflix is doing this knowing they are going to lose so many customers to Disney so this way it kind of evens out. I think I'm going to cancel, I just don't watch enough anymore.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
I subscribe to the Netflix channel on YouTube, and so, I see their daily parade of teasers for new shows. The SNL skit wasn't too far off about them buying anything and everything.

Well, they had a teaser for "YOU", in which a bookstore salesman becomes enamored of a female shopper and then does whatever he can to insert himself into her life. Is it a horror story of a stalker? a psychological thriller? a romcom? Can't tell.

What I could tell was just how incredibly awful the writing was from that teaser. They're talking to each other and the girl gets an email. Her classmate submitted her short story for their mutual school assignment and our heroine is bummed that she didn't start hers yet and it's due tomorrow. And incidentally, she looks at her phone for 5 seconds and Ugh! She's even more bummed that her classmate's story is so good and she summarizes it for her unbeknownst stalker/friend. The summary is a heavy handed foreshadowing of their relationship, BTW.

But... she read it in 5 seconds. She shows her stalker/friend and he reads in 5 seconds.

This is like a freshmen film project. I was so angered by how bad it was, I got out of YouTube, fired up Netflix, found the show, and gave it a thumbs down.

Princess Leia

I subscribe to the Netflix channel on YouTube, and so, I see their daily parade of teasers for new shows. The SNL skit wasn't too far off about them buying anything and everything.

Well, they had a teaser for "YOU", in which a bookstore salesman becomes enamored of a female shopper and then does whatever he can to insert himself into her life. Is it a horror story of a stalker? a psychological thriller? a romcom? Can't tell.

What I could tell was just how incredibly awful the writing was from that teaser. They're talking to each other and the girl gets an email. Her classmate submitted her short story for their mutual school assignment and our heroine is bummed that she didn't start hers yet and it's due tomorrow. And incidentally, she looks at her phone for 5 seconds and Ugh! She's even more bummed that her classmate's story is so good and she summarizes it for her unbeknownst stalker/friend. The summary is a heavy handed foreshadowing of their relationship, BTW.

But... she read it in 5 seconds. She shows her stalker/friend and he reads in 5 seconds.

This is like a freshmen film project. I was so angered by how bad it was, I got out of YouTube, fired up Netflix, found the show, and gave it a thumbs down.
You was actually a Lifetime show. Netflix picked up the streaming rights, and now they’re going to be adding a Season 2 (Lifetime has decided to stick to movies after this and Surviving R Kelly).

You... well, it was interesting. Like half my office watched it in the week after it came out. It’s based off of a book series (hence why we’re getting a season 2 of that), and is a huge endorsement for having window shades or curtains, because otherwise it will be VERY easy for a stalker to know way too much about you. I’ll admit that I have a guilty pleasure over watching not-so-great television like that.

But I really feel that Netflix just added a ton of new content on New Year’s. I was scrolling through the other day and thought ‘When did all of this happen???’ In some cases it’s really a Netflix original, and in others (like You), it’s repackaged.

Something that even Netflix didn’t want- Holmes and Watson. They passed on streaming it once they saw it. That apparently is how bad something has to be to not get picked up by Netflix.

Princess Leia

I started Killing Eve last night (the first two episodes were OnDemand with cable), and now I think I’m going to need to visit friends who have Hulu so I can watch the rest. The nice thing about both Prime and Netflix is how easy it is to share accounts (though idk how long that’s going to last). Hulu... not so much.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom