All Things Pirates of the Caribbean

WDWspider

Original Poster
OK, I feel like a second installment of my "All Things" threads. I have been thinking about the pirates of the Caribbean alot for some reason.

Everyone feel free to post any topics, questions, or facts about the ride.

Personally, this has been a long time favorite of mine (and many others I assume). A movie has even been inspired. I love this ride and have a couple of questions on it:

1. Have there ever been characters outside the ride? (In the same fashion that you find Country Bears outside the show from time to time)

2. If the ride had to drop to go under the railroad tracks, then why wasn't the entire track built lower in the ground to begin with? (Or was it just that important to take the one dip near the beginning)

3. How varied are the different incarnations of the ride?

4. Do all or any of the Pirates have names, if so what?

5. What is the background story to the ride? (Is there a mock history like the Haunted Mansion)

6. Are their plans to update, upgrade, or change this ride after the movie?

Thanks.

:sohappy:

MKCustodial

DL's version is a little different, the drop is bigger, I think (it's been a long time, I was there in 1994!!), and the story goes along the lines of you stumbling into a cave that is the resting place of this great pirate treasure, and even though "dead men tell no tales" we get flung (the drop) into the past to witness the great (and maybe last) days of those daring buccaneers... Makes any sense to anybody? That's the story I figured after I had English enough to understand what that skull says in the beginning, and I THINK DL's version has a more fluid "storyline" than WDW's (???).

DisJosh

I've seen Mr. Smee outside the ride...but that was on like my first trip to WDW about 11 years ago lol.

Pirates of the Carribean Rock!!! Wooohooooooo :D

dannysbelle

:brick:
Does anyone know the end of the saying that the talking skull and bones says just before you go over the drop and into the boat and fort room at the WDW ride? It starts out "Dead Man...." and we never can understand the last word because it echoes. My brother and I are so frustrated by not knowing! Please help!

db:D

orangefan15

Originally posted by dannysbelle
:brick:
Does anyone know the end of the saying that the talking skull and bones says just before you go over the drop and into the boat and fort room at the WDW ride? It starts out "Dead Man...." and we never can understand the last word because it echoes. My brother and I are so frustrated by not knowing! Please help!

db:D

I believe the line you're referring to is "Dead men tell no tales"

westie

I remember at DL they had a pirate at the turnstile taking your E ticket. Oops, thats showing my age! Happy New Year!!:wave:

SirNim

The original Disneyland version was meant to be a dream-like adventure...
You start out in the modern bayou and slowly drift (to sleep) down the river, entering some long forgotten about caves, transporting you back in time to the days of the Pirate's and these misadventures...

The drops, while physically necessary, serve the purpose of this transposition/time travel...

Then, in Disneyland at least, you go up a lift hill, back into reality, away from the surrealism of the Pirates...

:D

no2apprentice

At DL you do start off in the bayou, where the boat drifts into caves, and you view the hidden pirate's treasure, which is cursed (as one of the voices say, "You've seen the cursed treasure"). The curse causes you to go back in time, via the waterfall (actually two), and you're back to witness the pirate attack on a coastal village. At the end of the ride, since a waterfall sends you back in time, you go up the waterfall to bring you back to the present. That was the way Walt explained it on a special show, which highlighted POTC before it's opening. (And yes, I'm that old to remember seeing the first broadcast.)

The POTC in WDW is not as obvious with the storyline of the treasure's curse, nor is there as much scenery before you go back in time.

If they do anything with the ride because of the movie, I hope they update some of the figures with new animatronics. One or two sword duels between a pirate and a soldier would be neat.

figmentmom

I've always loved this ride - it was the first MK ride we took the first year we took our kids to Disney. They absolutely LOVED it, and so did my husband and I. The thrill never palls, either. (Fun shopping in the Plaza, too!):)

Jerm

ummmmmmmm NO!!!

OK I have to jump in and it might sound a lil rude so I am sorry right now. But you guys are way off at least as far as the attraction here at DL. Here in DL you start off in the bayou stop at the talking skull and cross bones then you do the two drops (that take you under the train tracks) see a bunch of scenes that have no rhyme or reason (as Marc Davis said) and go through the dark area with the dead men tell no tails playing on a endless loop. You then float into the battle between the ship and the fort. After that you float past the Mayor dunking, the "Take a Winch for a Bride" area, the ex women chasing area/ now glutening (sp?) area. Then you hit the start of the fire area and you then head into the jail. You finish with the drunk pirates shoting at each other before floating up hill.
The reason there is no rhyme or reason is because they built part of the attraction as a walk through before the 64 worlds fair. After taht they gutted it all and made it the ride it is today. I have never heard any of the time travel stories (and trust me I am a big Disney geek when it comes to that attraction).

As far as the versions at DL, WDW, DLP, and TDL go DL and TDL are very alike. The version at WDW was slapped together very fast (because they did not plan to have a version of PotC, but guest demand changed that) and is kinda a shot version of the one at DL with the exception of the last scene which is only at WDW. And the version at DLP is amazing with a story line that does work. If you have never heard any of the things that happens in PotC in DLP I suggest you do some searching online because it is amazing. That and there version of HM, Phantom Manor, are two fo the best reason to go to DLP......I mean besides a few million other things they have;-).

Oh and the thing about Pirates outside the attraction, at DL they have done a thing twice with pirates attacking and taking over the attraction. Once for the opening and the other time for the 30th anniversery of the attraction. But I have never seen any Pirate walk arounds other then Hook and Smee.

Jerm

P.S.-- If you really want to know more about PotC go to you local Target or Walmart and try and track down the Walt Disney Treasures DVD collection titled "Disneyland". It has the show that Walt walks you through his upcoming attractions......PotC and a early version of the HM.

JLW11Hi

I have a feeling we are all pretty much close to being right. I can see where Walt was going with the traveling through time bit, and pretty much all of the attractions designed by Imagineering back then included a lot of scenes with no "rhyme or reason". A basic story is introduced (pirates attactking a villiage, a tour of a haunted mansion, a bear band reveue, a journey through space) and what you saw usually didnt have to do with a story or anything, Just a bunch of fun gags to see.

I personally like the Disneyland version MUCH better than the one at WDW. The scenes appear much larger, it is much longer, and there seems to be a lot more details. I heard that for some reason, Imagineering thought that East coasters would not want to see a ride about Pirates in the Caribbean. Go figure!

Dizknee_Phreek

with the PotC movie coming out this summer, do you suppose they'll put animatronics of the characters in the rides somewhere now? i would LOVE to see Johnny Depp or Orlando Bloom in PotC! omg, i'd probably have a marathon of riding PotC non-stop every visit! lol!

also, has anyone else noticed the voices right after you fall down the waterfall? the last one you hear as you enter the fort/ship battle scene is this extremely elderly sounded guy saying 'You may not survive!' i swear, the way he says it is the funniest thing!! try to listen for it next time you ride!

WDWspider

Original Poster
Interesting Stuff here, but my most Curious Question that has yet to be approached :lookaroun :

Do the Pirates have Names? (or the Dog, or the Red Head, or the villagers)

disneydentist

Originally posted by sandjhooker
great questions! I never knew that it dipped because of the RR tracks. You learn something new every day!!
You're not the only one. I always assumed that the ride building was inside of the park perimeter and just hidden by JC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom