All things Magic Mountain

RobWDW1971

Vintage video of pictures of Magic Mountain from 1971-1980

Sorry Millenials, the 70's were just a better time. "El Bumpo" - had forgotten that's what they were called. Hahahahahahahaha

And again, for those that haven't seen "Rollercoaster" just a great moment in time capture of Magic Mountain in 1976.

Phroobar

Original Poster
Sorry Millenials, the 70's were just a better time. "El Bumpo" - had forgotten that's what they were called. Hahahahahahahaha

And again, for those that haven't seen "Rollercoaster" just a great moment in time capture of Magic Mountain in 1976.
Kind of makes me want to watch Dazed & Confused.

RobWDW1971

I mean if you can't have fun partying with these dudes.....

1585764921130.png

Phroobar

Original Poster
I've been trying to figure out where the Mountain Express was located. I think the sign is still there with nothing on it and maybe one of those towers. Was this located where Superman is now?

MM_mount_express_PC_Front.jpg

mmfolder_05_247.jpg

Phroobar

Original Poster
I found it.
Mountain Express at Six Flags Magic Mountain was a Schwarzkopf Wildcat model that operated in the park from 1973 to 1983. It was the parks 3rd roller coaster, and the first that the park built after it’s opening (Gold Rusher and Clown Coaster opened within the 1st year of the park’s existence). It was located around the area where the coaster Goliath is located today in Pirates Cove. The ride was quite a compact ride, reaching a maximum height of 50 ft and a maximum speed of 40 MPH.

Weird that it has the Asian theming but isn't on top of the mountain in Samurai Summit.

Rich T

I found it.
Mountain Express at Six Flags Magic Mountain was a Schwarzkopf Wildcat model that operated in the park from 1973 to 1983. It was the parks 3rd roller coaster, and the first that the park built after it’s opening (Gold Rusher and Clown Coaster opened within the 1st year of the park’s existence). It was located around the area where the coaster Goliath is located today in Pirates Cove. The ride was quite a compact ride, reaching a maximum height of 50 ft and a maximum speed of 40 MPH.

Weird that it has the Asian theming but isn't on top of the mountain in Samurai Summit.
Mountain Express was the best compact coaster I’ve ever ridden. Very fast, smooth and thrilling. Kept its pace going right to the final brakes. I was heartbroken when they removed it and—get this—replaced it initially with not a ride but a Texas Instruments Home PC showroom featuring smug, cutesy Jello-era Bill Cosby-hosted ads! :(
(Edit) This was one of Six Flags’ earliest changes to the park. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Last edited:

Phroobar

Original Poster
Mountain Express was the best compact coaster I’ve ever ridden. Very fast, smooth and thrilling. Kept its pace going right to the final brakes. I was heartbroken when they removed it and—get this—replaced it initially with not a ride but a Texas Instruments Home PC showroom featuring smug, cutesy Jello-era Bill Cosby-hosted ads! :(
(Edit) This was one of Six Flags’ earliest changes to the park. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
Oh come on, there's always room for Jello.

BubbaQuest

I found it.

I thought it was located were Hurricane Harbor is now. If I remember correctly, this is when the entrance went straight into the main plaza instead of taking a turn to the left. The entrance to Mountain Express was a sharp right after the entrance. Of course, I could be wrong because I can't remember what was previously in the Goliath location! Originally I think it was Eagle's Flight gondola station?

P.S. While trying to see if I could find some old maps, I stumbled across something called Mystic Lake. I don't remember that at all and it seems to be what replaced Mountain Express before Hurricane Harbor. Did SFMM used to have ski shows??

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

P.S. While trying to see if I could find some old maps, I stumbled across something called Mystic Lake. I don't remember that at all and it seems to be what replaced Mountain Express before Hurricane Harbor. Did SFMM used to have ski shows??

Yes, I remembered it, that is where hurricane Harbor area is now (approx.)

They had a few shows, first was more of a traditional Water Ski Show, then switched to a Stunt Show theme.

Phroobar

Original Poster
1160.jpg

flashback-six-flags-magic-mountain-93e86eae-bd3b-429d-bdd4-3264dbce90a-resize-750.jpeg

That is also the area where they put most of the Fright Fest mazes. They use the Flashback building for one of them. It still has that 80's vibe.

Rich T

After Flashback and Green Lantern, I think a law should be passed: Before Six Flags opens any new coaster to the public, the Six Flags CEO must ride it ten times in front of the press, and then publicly declare—while hooked to a lie detector— that he/she truly finds the ride comfortable, non-painful and a wise addition to the park.

Phroobar

Original Poster
After Flashback and Green Lantern, I think a law should be passed: Before Six Flags opens any new coaster to the public, the Six Flags CEO must ride it ten times in front of the press, and then publicly declare—while hooked to a lie detector— that he/she truly finds the ride comfortable, non-painful and a wise addition to the park.
As long as the CEO is male.

fctiger

You're probably have a better chance asking him if he ever cheated on his wife. And after riding these things, it's practically impossible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom